VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In 2003 on doom9 there was a thread where people shared their predictions on the state of video codecs and related jazz in 5 years time and in 2008 the thread was bumped and they reviewed how close the predictions were. I offered my own predictions for 5, 10, 20 and 40 years time but I'll just post the 5 since as of this month they have passed.

The month I wrote this post was shortly after losing my awesome $5000-a-month job that I had at barely 18 and right at the beginning of my oxy withdrawal which was the beginning of the end for me in perfect lieu with the collapse of the world economy which I didn't see coming.

That being said, I'm not as keen with the current state of affairs with video technology as I would be had fate been different and I still had all the spare time of a privileged existence I used to have. In other words, I have no ******* clue how close my predictions match today's reality, but your input is welcome.

Originally Posted by An old reincarnation of Mephesto
    H.265 will be available, somewhat less dominant than H.264 is today, but popular. People will (at least I hope) continue distributing CD-sized rips as the 50% efficiency increase will make sub-HD possible at bitrates below the megabit range.

Retards will be releasing encodes with 8-channel 192 KHz audio at like 10 Mbps and brag about their "ultrahigh quality encodes."

Avery Lee will find some time to upgrade Avidemux, turn it into a professional, reliable application like VirtualDub that can actually EDIT content contained in MP4/MKV without crashing/producing corrupt video/errors or otherwise ******* up in any way. Then all the hordes of unsexed anti-VFW losers can quit bitching and find a new hobby.

Joost will replace BitTorrent (yo, BT sucks) for video content, and 3rd generation P2P apps will dominate current 2nd gen apps, but will still be popular in 3rd world countries where people can't afford the multiplied bandwidth of their traffic being routed thru proxy peers. Stealthnet and Tesla will be big, Freenet will develop a user-friendly GUI and maybe become more popular.

Ultrareal CGI films will be more common and less expensive to produce. There will be more credible movies than Flatland completely created by one person. Indies in general will be more common, especially with oldschool 8/16-bit games.

Tapestry media and HVDs will quickly replace Blu-rays, and Blu-rays will become the standard casual media format as DVDs are today. Ultrahigh-definition will be prominent, but won't replace HD. HD will be more common as machines get more powerful and make processing high resolutions a casual activity. SD will still be popular as 720x576 for all intents and purposes is enough, but any lower-res rips will be rare.

These faulty piece of shit LCDs will start to be replaced by LEP displays (that you can fold like paper) which take way less power, have a way higher contrast ratio and don't distort from other angles. Virtual retinal displays will be developed and finalized, but not yet affordable or widely available.

The United States' economy will crash and the country will be in another depression era, and all you geeks will learn the true hardships of life -- having to ditch your apartment and move back in with your bitchy parents, work hard for low wages, the electricity to your house being cut off 'cuz you couldn't afford the bills for the month etc.

And I'll be in Japan makin' phat cash.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since these are my predictions I feel right to review my own post to the best of my ability.

H.265 will be available, somewhat less dominant than H.264 is today, but popular. People will (at least I hope) continue distributing CD-sized rips as the 50% efficiency increase will make sub-HD possible at bitrates below the megabit range.
    Nah m'nigga, H.265 is just barely out and there's no popular, accepted way to even decode it yet. You got overhyped by h265.net while on your acid binges thinking that because some MPEG fanboy was posting already-available technical details this early somehow meant that they were gonna complete the standard next year. Wake the **** up, dumbass.

Retards will be releasing encodes with 8-channel 192 KHz audio at like 10 Mbps and brag about their "ultrahigh quality encodes."
    Surprisingly, no.

Avery Lee will find some time to upgrade Avidemux, turn it into a professional, reliable application like VirtualDub that can actually EDIT content contained in MP4/MKV without crashing/producing corrupt video/errors or otherwise ******* up in any way.
    Hahahha, u so funny boi. Avery Lee already started getting jobs, getting married, having children and all that other stupid shit to care about Virtualdub as much as he did when he was the age you typed this and had the benefit of growing up in a functioning, booming economy.

Then all the hordes of unsexed anti-VFW losers can quit bitching and find a new hobby.
    They haven't changed, they're worse if anything. Funny thing though, encoding to H.265 with current methods always sets the FPS to 25 and the only way I figured out how to change this is to mux into an AVI container where I can change it easily with Virtualdub. I think I'll start sharing videos, movies and episodes in H.265 AVI format now just to watch them nerdrage and break more of their foot-thick hymens on their bike seats.

Joost will replace BitTorrent (yo, BT sucks) for video content,
    WHAT? ...the **** was I smoking?

and 3rd generation P2P apps will dominate current 2nd gen apps, but will still be popular in 3rd world countries where people can't afford the multiplied bandwidth of their traffic being routed thru proxy peers.
    To clarify, a 3rd generation P2P app is one like Kazaa/Limewire except relays traffic thru a couple proxies, making it more anonymous. This hasn't come to pass as far as I know. BT still dominates filesharing and continues to blow ****.

Stealthnet and Tesla will be big,
    No.

Freenet will develop a user-friendly GUI and maybe become more popular.
    Haven't used Freenet in a long damn time but to the best of my knowledge, no. It might've become slightly more popular though.

Ultrareal CGI films will be more common and less expensive to produce. There will be more credible movies than Flatland completely created by one person. Indies in general will be more common, especially with oldschool 8/16-bit games.
    I have no idea, anyone else wanna touch on this?

Tapestry media and HVDs will quickly replace Blu-rays,
    Holographic Versatile Discs never materialized despite numerous debut dates set. **** it, spinning disk technology is hella-outdated and flash memory is overtaking it.

and Blu-rays will become the standard casual media format as DVDs are today.
    Hmm, they are more popular but this economic collapse fucked everybody's jobs and lives up so everyones too poor to afford shit anymore. I can't validate this.

Ultrahigh-definition will be prominent, but won't replace HD.
    UHD to the best of my knowledge is not even out. God damn, can you like make one accurate guess for once, dickbrain?

HD will be more common as machines get more powerful and make processing high resolutions a casual activity.
    THERE YOU GO, EINSTEIN! You got one. I don't even need the full power of one core to play 1080p smoothly now.

SD will still be popular as 720x576 for all intents and purposes is enough, but any lower-res rips will be rare.
    Ehh... 700MB XviD rips are still popular for some reason but 800 and 900MB are a lot more common allowing at least a closer resolution to 480/576p and many many 500-1000MB H.264 rips are now popular but rippers remain full-fledged retards who know ****-all what they're doing.

These faulty piece of shit LCDs will start to be replaced by LEP displays (that you can fold like paper) which take way less power, have a way higher contrast ratio and don't distort from other angles.
    No, but IPS LED LCD displays achieve similar achievements (redundant much?) with respect to low power, higher contrast ratio and little if any noticeable distortion from other angles.

Virtual retinal displays will be developed and finalized, but not yet affordable or widely available.

The United States' economy will crash and the country will be in another depression era, and all you geeks will learn the true hardships of life -- having to ditch your apartment and move back in with your bitchy parents, work hard for low wages, the electricity to your house being cut off 'cuz you couldn't afford the bills for the month etc.
    Americans aren't suffering enough from what I've seen. The system's killing them alright, just not fast enough.

And I'll be in Japan makin' phat cash.
    Obviously only I'm qualified to talk about this prediction. Long story short: no. I've lost everything but I am planning to fly the **** out of here soon to a country that is a true land of opportunities and I regret not doing this the day I wrote that ******* sentence. Biggest mistake of my life. Staying in this shit-heap... wow Mephesto, just wow. Letting a little rattling from prescription meds take up all your 20 grand of savings. Sigh...
    Last edited by Mephesto; 21st Sep 2013 at 23:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm out
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    I'm out

Yeah...pretty much...
    Quote Quote  
  5. ..fly the **** out of here soon to a country that is a true...
    North Pole ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    ... Avery Lee already started getting jobs, getting married, having children and all that other stupid shit to care about Virtualdub as much as he did when he was the age you typed this ...
    Thank you for explaining why this program that so many video geeks get excited about has site documentation that doesn't appear to mention anything newer than Windows ME. Which is why I've never used it. No program is that good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. And his prediction about Japan being the land of opportunity for him will be another failed prediction.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Then all the hordes of unsexed anti-VFW losers can quit bitching and find a new hobby.
    They haven't changed, they're worse if anything. Funny thing though, encoding to H.265 with current methods always sets the FPS to 25 and the only way I figured out how to change this is to mux into an AVI container where I can change it easily with Virtualdub.
    They are NOT "anti-VfW" trolls, they are *anti-AVI* trolls. The limitations of the VfW/ACM A.P.I.s are just a rationalization for their hate towards the AVI container.
    Regarding HEVC, the latest source-filter from Strongene already can set the correct framerate in its output pin.

I think I'll start sharing videos, movies and episodes in H.265 AVI format now just to watch them nerdrage and break more of their foot-thick hymens on their bike seats.
    Have fun with that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    While America did not suffer through another great depression, some are warning that due to the failure to pass meaningful regulation (and remember that significant numbers of people oppose ANY regulation) that the exact same bad behaviors that caused the economic collapse a few years ago are being repeated.

I think there is a possibility that the younger generation around the world, say the under 30s, may not ever be able to afford a house/place of their own, not just in the USA. Housing prices pretty much everywhere are too high. Singapore is a place you don't hear much about but their housing market is red hot with prices that I believe are not supportable or affordable, but given their government's hand in the local economy, they may be able to react quickly if the market starts to crash.

I've traveled to more countries than most Americans and I can tell you that it's possible to make money anywhere. If you, Mephesto, would be happier elsewhere then that is a good reason to move, but if you are moving only because you think you can make wads of cash, that may not happen. Unless you have some kind of in demand skill set or foreign language skills, it can be hard to get by in foreign countries, especially if English is not an official language. I've seen my share of disillusioned Americans who moved to places in Europe with high hopes and came back a year later saying "NEVER again would I live there".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Unless you have some kind of in demand skill set or foreign language skills, it can be hard to get by in foreign countries, especially if English is not an official language.
    Some countries are very difficult to find work in unless you were already hired for your job before arrival. I knew a man (U.S. native) in the 1990s who was under 40, fluent in German, had an excellent computer programming background, and was even married to a Swiss woman, but was still unable to find employment in Switzerland on his own so his wife and child could be near her family.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Sep 2013 at 21:22. Reason: fixed thye unintended result of a previous cut to my post
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe I should've left the last one out, but in the spirit of preserving it exactly as it was written and not after going thru Doom9's obsessive compulsive mod editors (thank god I had a copy of this so I didn't have to look on that shitty site to find it) I didn't.

Guys, for real, have the decency to address at least one relevant part of my post if you're so interested in focusing on the least relevant part and lecturing me heavily how I should conduct my personal life.

I was not born here, English is my second language and I've already went back to my birthplace in Europe for a couple years before coming back just a year before the West got itself into another Great Depression. I don't give a damn about shitty xenophobic Japan now, I was already making way more than I could spend when I was pondering the decision to invest into Japan because I knew America was dying, I don't care about the dollars now, I just wanna find peace. Hope that clarifies.

Originally Posted by bendixG15
    I'm out
    You confuse me with someone who gives a shit.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob
    Thank you for explaining why this program that so many video geeks get excited about has site documentation that doesn't appear to mention anything newer than Windows ME. Which is why I've never used it. No program is that good.
    He updates it periodically, including to run on current systems that came out way after Windows ME, if I got your post right. But no update that allows to properly edit MP4 or MKV videos, he would have to re-write it from the ground up to add that kind of support he says. Meh.

Originally Posted by TreeTops
    And his prediction about Japan being the land of opportunity for him will be another failed prediction.
    That prediction already failed. I wasn't wrong about it avoiding the global depression though, it's one of the few that did. Its growth has slowed and the economy only stagnant because of that earthquake a few years back.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    They are NOT "anti-VfW" trolls, they are *anti-AVI* trolls. The limitations of the VfW/ACM A.P.I.s are just a rationalization for their hate towards the AVI container.
    There were no limitations of VfW except a few dropped frames at the very beginning. Their complaints were unfounded and resembled autistic freakouts more than anything.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    Regarding HEVC, the latest source-filter from Strongene already can set the correct framerate in its output pin.
    Thanks for that, my version is from July. I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by jman98
    I think there is a possibility that the younger generation around the world, say the under 30s, may not ever be able to afford a house/place of their own, not just in the USA. Housing prices pretty much everywhere are too high. Singapore is a place you don't hear much about but their housing market is red hot with prices that I believe are not supportable or affordable, but given their government's hand in the local economy, they may be able to react quickly if the market starts to crash.
    Well I was already getting a house here that a woman was willing to co-sign for me but I refused.
    In Russia, the government gives away free apartments to everyone with children every few years. I wouldn't mind, I've abstained from reproducing here because I did not wanna bring a new innocent life to get fucked up in this sick-ass system that produces nothing but animals.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I should've left the last one out, but in the spirit of preserving it exactly as it was written and not after going thru Doom9's obsessive compulsive mod editors (thank god I had a copy of this so I didn't have to look on that shitty site to find it) I didn't.
    Good move indeed, Mephesto

It's just too bad that Donald Duck Graft does allow the friends of Mr. Doom9 to violate their Rule #11:

Originally Posted by Doom9
    11) Don't post just to increase your number of posts. If you have nothing to say on a certain matter then don't post. The number of posts on this board has no direct relation to the experience of a member.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 23rd Sep 2013 at 02:31. Reason: add more thumbs up
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How much more is there to say? You already said it all regarding most of your own technical predictions. There have been some recent movies that make heavy use of CGI and look pretty good, but the last attempt at a realistic-looking all CGI movie I saw was Beowulf, in 2007. The CGI wasn't perfect but it was impressive. It was hard to fully appreciate it though because the dialog was so awful. Even the mostly first-class actors providing the voices couldn't save that movie.
    Quote Quote  
  14. El Heggunte, google cache owns: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OiHUzCmoW8UJ:http://forum.doom9.o...&gbv=1&ct=clnk

Thats typical of your average forum anyway. I've noticed most of the misconduct tends to be perpetrated by decorated members with 10,000+ posts that feel free to do what they want.

usually_quiet, I haven't been following up on half of the things I thought I would be when I made that 2008 post so if my follow-ups are unchallenged then that's a good start. I'm glad to know I'm not that out of touch.
    Does anyone know of one movie since Flatland that has been animated by just one guy? I'll be disappointed if that milestone is all we still got.
    Quote Quote