VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    What should I install on my 64-bit computer? The 32bit or the 64bit version of MPC HC and why?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is like asking "How long is that ball of string"

We know zilch about your computer other than it is 64 bit - CPU, amount of memory, etc. etc.

But both should work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah both work. I know that but what should I install? What is recommended to do in this case?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the answer to your question was stated in an earlier SIMILAR topic from you. Nothing has changed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just install the 64 bit one. It's unlikely that you'll see any difference at all, but the 64 bit one MAY provide barely faster responses. My advice is that if you have a 64 bit PC then use 64 bit software when you can and go to 32 bit only if you have problems. Even the official website contains no information to answer your question so expecting us to have a check list to send you that proves why A is better than B is not a realistic desire.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ DB83: Sorry, what Thread do you mean?

My question has nothing to do with CPU, RAM etc. everything is fast enough trust me xD

I thought that 64bit version could have some bugs and or limitations which aren't in 32bit or something like that. I need to hear other peoples experiences.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scroll down the screen and you will see 'Similar Threads'. Check out the top one.

With respect, the amount of ram you have IS important. A 64 bit OS needs more than a 32 bit one just to run. A 64 bit program (as is my understanding) needs more memory just to load. The advantage of a 64 bit OS and program is that you can access more memory so if you are playing a particulariky large file.

But having said that, I have a 32 bit system with only 2 gig of ram and I can still play a 18 gig video with ease.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post

I thought that 64bit version could have some bugs and or limitations which aren't in 32bit or something like that. I need to hear other peoples experiences.
    You are almost certainly never going to get that kind of advice. And your assumptions are almost certainly wrong about the 64 bit one having bugs and limitations over the 32 bit one.

Stop being a baby and just load the 64 bit version and get on with your life.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK I download it. I found that thread but it has nothing to do with MPC HC and its 64 bit version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    OK I download it. I found that thread but it has nothing to do with MPC HC and its 64 bit version.
    Never said it did. But you asking whether to install a 64bit program or a 32bit program.

You could asking the same question every time you need to make the choice and you will get the same answer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So I should install the 64bit version of a program when it is available, when not I take the 32bit version. OK thanks, I got that. xD
    Quote Quote  
  12. madVR is only available as 32 bit should you wish to use that, and I recommend that you do. Also the 32 bit version of MPC-HC is slightly faster due to optimised code last time I heard.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks you that is a point I wanted (or don't wanted) to hear: madvr is only available as 32bit. OMG
    So I have to use 32bit under 64bit when I want to use it.
    Do you know any other things why I should use 32bit over 64bit?

Now I have on my list:
    - madvr only as 32bit
    - optimized code for 32bit -> slightly faster

I personlly don't care what version I use I just want points why I should use this or that.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at one point I asked myself whether I really want to use this or that program enough to have to install a 3rd party codecs/filters (which can cause system conflicts in general) for it to run. For media playing software I wouldn't.

Smplayer and vlc are my favorite video players in windows or linux. Both have their own codec libraries which will play pretty much anything between them. Straightforwardly.

There are just too many good media programs out there that don't require me dicking around with external filters etc. taking over the whole system.
    Quote Quote  
  15. VLC and SMPlayer are no option for me because I use different framerates for PAL (25p, 50i and 50p as 50p), NTSC (29,97p, 59,94i and 59,94p as 59p) and old NTSC (don't know how to call it) (30,00p, 60,00i and 60,00p as 60p), 23p for 23,976 and 24p for 24,00p. I haven't found this option in these media players but I would be glad someone may show me these.
    And the only filter you really need in ffdshow tryouts.
    What are benefits from VLC and SMPlayer over MPC HC?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Interesting that none of the responses to the original question prior to "27th Sep 2013 16:18 #12 Chug a Bug" were of hardly any value. Indeed, I recommend that the 32 bit version be used precisely because some of the available support software (such as madVR, ReClock) is 32 bit and won't work with the 64 bit version. One can encounter brick walls when using 64 bit that don't exist when using 32 bit.
    Last edited by larrytate1; 22nd May 2015 at 06:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. This thread is a bit oldish, but just to clarify (if anybody comes across it) - madVR since 0.87.20 version is in 64 bits as well: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1717279#post1717279 . LAV Filters and ffdshow have 64 bit versions. ReClock - a 64 bit version is not planned.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Interesting. I didn't know that MadVR was now available in 64 bit. I use ReClock so I'm still bound to 32 bit and as it is still in (somewhat) common use I have to continue to recommend 32 bit. I'm pretty sure that ReClock is my final barrier so if it ever goes to 64 I might switch. Then, there is always the option to switch back to 32 if need be.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    64 bit should in theory open vast possibilities however the reality is that codec development is 'mollasic' when it comes to 64 bit development. Unfortunately the attitude is, write for 32 bit and, oh yeah, we also compile a byte doubled version for 64bit.

Sad but true.

Quote Quote  
    Versailles, France, goo.gl/maps/EMxfhCkrDsq
    Search Comp PM
    I installed each version of MPC-HC and VLC in both 64 and 32 bit flavors side by side for a few years (and continued on 2 PCs with Windows 7 64bit, one Ultimate with Radeon and Intel graphics, one Pro with only Intel graphics). Then I noticed there were sometimes some glitches on the 64, much fewer in 32 bit. And never saw a single tiny advantage of 64 bit in real world, so I dropped updating the 64bit versions, I only update the 32bit ones.
    BTW don't be impressed by the "I-know-all" gurus wandering and writing everywhere hence having no time to test or think, stick with the more modest people as flashandpan007 above; they are more pleasant, informed, educated, and have more thought of what they write (said Darwin: Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge).
    Versailles, Fri 22 Jul 2016 15:55:10 +0200
    Last edited by Michel Merlin; 22nd Jul 2016 at 10:37. Reason: had forgotten to mention VLC
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Michel Merlin View Post
    I installed each version of MPC-HC in 64 and 32 bit flavors side by side for a few years (and continued on 2 PCs with Windows 7 64bit, one Ultimate with Radeon and Intel graphics, one Pro with only Intel graphics). Then I noticed there were sometimes some glitches on the 64, much fewer in 32 bit. And never saw a single tiny advantage of 64 bit in real world, so I dropped updating the 64bit version, I only update the 32bit.
    BTW don't be impressed by the "I-know-all" gurus wandering and writing everywhere hence having no time to test or think, stick with the more modest people as flashandpan007 above; they are more pleasant, informed, educated, and have more thought of what they write (said Darwin: Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge).
    Versailles, Fri 22 Jul 2016 15:55:10 +0200
    Thank you
    Quote Quote