VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded a movie off the internet.Its supposed to be 94 minutes but the copy I found goes for 2 hours and 44 minutes.I need to edit the movie first so I can then burn it to DVD.

Is there any free software that I can download that can edit the movie then burn it to dvd?
    I did find software listed in the Tools/software section on this forum.I have the Free Studio Manager from dvdvideosoft.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.I'm new to this forum.Learning to be a bit more pc savy.

Update:
    Kerry56 suggested VideoRedo,which I've since found and used.There were 2 copies of the movie one after the other.I reduced the length of it by eliminating the 2nd copy.Thanks Karry56.

Also,I couldnt find the dvd anywhere so I found it online free.
    Last edited by Denv12; 10th Sep 2013 at 23:02. Reason: Update information including problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What format is the movie in now? If it is already dvd-video, I'd suggest getting the trial version of VideoRedo TV Suite to make cuts in the video, then reauthor back to dvd-video. Burn to a disc with ImgBurn.

If you are uncertain of the current format, download a program called MediaInfo and examine the movie with it. I find the Tree or Text view the most informative within MediaInfo.

We will advise you to use different editing programs, depending on what type of video you have. My suggestion of VideoRedo is appropriate for dvd-video or mpeg2 format. If you have an avi file with xvid, or an mp4 with H264, you will get other suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVD Authoring programs will handle that file length without you having to edit. VSO ConvertXtoDVD will do it albeit at a lower quality than say a 1.5 hour movie. What format is the original file? If it is MKV there may be additional languages and subtitles that you could easily remove before authoring to DVD and subsequent burning.......
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    What format is the movie in now? If it is already dvd-video, I'd suggest getting the trial version of VideoRedo TV Suite to make cuts in the video, then reauthor back to dvd-video. Burn to a disc with ImgBurn.

If you are uncertain of the current format, download a program called MediaInfo and examine the movie with it. I find the Tree or Text view the most informative within MediaInfo.

We will advise you to use different editing programs, depending on what type of video you have. My suggestion of VideoRedo is appropriate for dvd-video or mpeg2 format. If you have an avi file with xvid, or an mp4 with H264, you will get other suggestions.
    Firstly thank you both for the replies here.I'm not very familiar with these software programs and burning dvds.

After I downloaded the movie using the mozilla firefox addon Downloadhelper its now a VLC media file mp4,599MB.I had installed VLC media player a few months ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it's a MP4 format - (btw no such thing as a "VLC" format, VLC is just another media player like WMP but much better).

To make a DVD you need a DVD Authoring program to transform the MP4 file into a standard DVD format ie a collection of .IFO, .BUP and VOB files within a folder called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS

I think you should read up on authoring DVD's under one of the guides on this site.

Most DVD Authoring programs are not free but there are a few freebies, look in the Tools section. Also download and install MediaInfo as it is a valuable tool to tell you a lot of information about video and audio files.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at AVStoDVD

It is 100% FREE, fully functional and will easily handle your 'downloaded' movie and convert it to a format ready to burn and play from DVD. All pretty much automagically for you
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    We still don't know the codecs used in your mp4 file, information that MediaInfo would give us. If you just need a section of the video, you'll need something that can make cuts. If you just want the whole thing as dvd-video, then the AVStoDVD suggestion is a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not clear what you mean by 'edit'? If you want to shorten the movie down to 94 minutes, then you will need to edit it. If you just want to convert it to a playable DVD format, then AVStoDVD may be all you need. Editing highly compressed formats like MP4 is not all that simple. especially if you want to make frame accurate cuts.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My vote is also for AVS2DVD and a dual layer DVD so you save yourself the trouble of "editing" if itīs only for shortening the running time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Given that the OP has downloaded something off the internet, and thus the quality might not be the highest to start with . . . .

Is there some reason we aren't suggesting he look into SHRINKING the size of the dvd-compatible files he will make to allow them to fit on a single-layer disc, vs. some sort of time-consuming editing?

He can certainly do so with DVD Shrink or others, take a look at the quality that results, and then decide if he wants to incur the add'l expense of a DL disc.

AVStoDVD ==> DVD-compatible files ==> DVD Shrink ==> View results ==> IMGBURN on SL disc (if quality is adequate)

The fact that he was expecting a 94-minute movie and got 2 hrs and 44 minutes also might suggest something amiss with the original download.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why not just buy the movie on dvd and save yourself the trouble.
    Quote Quote