VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm setting up my brother's PC and it's got a Nebula PCI card, which is a tuner but it's not going to be used for that as there's a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 dual tuner PCI card in there for that. All I want to use the Nebula for is it's analogue input, so that my brother has the option to dub some VHS tapes to DVD if he wants.

I've installed Virtualdub and HuffyUV but when I go to the Capture page I don't see any preview and can't find HuffyUV to select anywhere. I then installed iuVCS (I didn't realise it was only a trial) and that does show a preview of a solid blue window but that's because there's nothing connected to the input. I then tested with VirtualVCR and that shows the same preview. iuVCS also installed "Vlafy MJPEG Encoder (x64)" so will that be of any use or should I uninstall that along with iuVCS?

VirtualVCR looks nice and simple and would probably be a better option for my brother than Virtualdub. However, I can't find HuffyUV in that either, unless I go to the Video settings and select ffdshow video encoder for Compression and then open the properties and it shows HuffyUV (ffmpeg variant) there, so is that the right way to select it? I've set the other settings to 352x576@25fps and the colour format only has the option RGB24.

I'm wondering if he'll be able to encode direct to MPEG-2, ideally doing any processing such as de-interlacing on the fly, which he can then edit with VideoReDo? The CPU is an Athlon II X4 630 @2.8Ghz with 8GB DDR3.

So if anyone could advise me that'd be great as I've never really played with this myself before so don't really know how to set it up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hook up a VCR to a DVD recorder and then to TV. Great results. Don't waste your time with the above. You may need a stabilizer if your tapes have Macromedia.
    Last edited by pepegot1; 4th Sep 2013 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Duplicate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He doesn't have a DVD Recorder, he has a card in his PC which I'm trying to setup for him!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If his need is great, then get the equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a program called STOIK here at videohelp.com. Simple interface, easy to use.
    Pperhaps you'll have some luck with it -
    I had some success myself, however, that was on XP Pro.

What OS are you using, and is it 32/64 bit?

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Stoik-Video-Capture
    Quote Quote  
  7. 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit VFW codecs. 64 bit VirtualDub requires 64 bit VFW codecs. It's like having two separate computers, one 32 bit, the other 64 bit. Neither can see the other's codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    There is a program called STOIK here at videohelp.com. Simple interface, easy to use.
    Pperhaps you'll have some luck with it -
    I had some success myself, however, that was on XP Pro.

What OS are you using, and is it 32/64 bit?

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Stoik-Video-Capture
    Thanks, I might have a look at that although I'm not sure if it will be able to use the HuffYUV codec or encode on-the-fly direct to MPEG2. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit VFW codecs. 64 bit VirtualDub requires 64 bit VFW codecs. It's like having two separate computers, one 32 bit, the other 64 bit. Neither can see the other's codecs.
    Of course, I probably was trying to use 32-bit Vdub (and 32-bit VirtualVCR) with 64-bit HuffYUV. Nonetheless, I still don't understand why the preview in Vdub didn't do anything and I don't really know what all the settings need to be set to, so I'll probably have to use something else, like VirtualVCR but even with that I need some advice on the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    If his need is great, then get the equipment.
    His need isn't great, so I won't.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even in my XP system Virtualvcr did not work.
    However, Stoik did and it did see the huffyUV codec. Try installing the 32 bit version.
    I even got reasonable results using mjpeg output (although it's lossy)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Even in my XP system Virtualvcr did not work.
    However, Stoik did and it did see the huffyUV codec. Try installing the 32 bit version.
    I even got reasonable results using mjpeg output (although it's lossy)
    OK thanks, good to know it works with the huffyUV codec. I'll try it out.
    Quote Quote