VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I still have a dvd player in the house and i have always sought my backups to be in dvd format on a dvdr disc, i am curious to know whether the dvd player can play a blu ray quality-ish file from dvdr in x264 formatted to fill the dvdr ?..so i could have my blurays in this format on a dvdr for the kids to play in the bedroom..for example..

Video ....: 1280x536 (X264 @ 23.976fps)720p.BluRay.X264
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Even if they upscale, DVD players will only accept SD video as a source (whether from a DVD-Video disc or a file). This is generally up to around 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).

And no DVD player accepts h.264-encoded video, that I'm aware of.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could always convert your Hi-Def x264 video to DVD so it'll play in your DVD player. Try AvsToDVD. Of course, the final quality won't be the same as the source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's an HDTV then there is a chance it might play it by itself off of a usb drive. if it's not an HDTV then of course it won't play anything greater than SD 480.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You could always convert your Hi-Def x264 video to DVD so it'll play in your DVD player. Try AvsToDVD. Of course, the final quality won't be the same as the source.
    But would it be better than a normal dvd given that the actual video file wasnt compressed on the dvdr by removing subs, extras etc etc ?

Its just that i saw in various places lots of bluray type files that all happened to be 4.34gb to fit on a dvdr, i understand that maybe this is for the purpose of backing up blurays cheaply but i dont see why anyone would do this because surely to get bluray video to fit on dvdr there would be quite a considerable ammount of compression ?? which brings me full circle to my question..is a converted/compressed bluray made to fit on a dvdr going to be better than a non compressed dvd9 video file to dvdr ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loady View Post
    But would it be better than a normal dvd given that the actual video file wasnt compressed on the dvdr by removing subs, extras etc etc ?
    I doubt it, given that most good DVDs are made from a higher-def source than yours, and that you downloaded something that someone else had already reencoded from a Blu-Ray source. It could be pretty good, though, after AvsToDVD gets done with it.
    which brings me full circle to my question..is a converted/compressed bluray made to fit on a dvdr going to be better than a non compressed dvd9 video file to dvdr ?
    Given that neither your TV set nor your DVD player can play it, what's the point of even asking? To answer the question, though, maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the movie, how compressible it is, and if the encoder knows what he's doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AND THE LENGTH.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. im aware of file size vs quality, i used to rencode dvd9 to dvdr back in the day using CCE but where possible would remove as much as possible to keep the actual film unencoded so i am no stranger to doing it.

I get BD25 discs at around £0.80 each, is it possible to do the same with bluray as it was with dvd9, ie, compress it to fit on the BD25 and also remove all the foereign audio and other unwanted stuff but leep the menu and chapters etc ? i have one bluray player in the house and ps3 and xbox 360..is it possible to do it in such a way that it would play on all three devices ??is there a guide on this vast forum/website that would instruct me how to go about it ?
    Last edited by loady; 4th Sep 2013 at 16:09.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loady View Post
    im aware of file size vs quality, i used to rencode dvd9 to dvdr back in the day using CCE but where possible would remove as much as possible to keep the actual film unencoded so i am no stranger to doing it.

I get BD25 discs at around £0.80 each, is it possible to do the same with bluray as it was with dvd9, ie, compress it to fit on the BD25 and also remove all the foereign audio and other unwanted stuff but leep the menu and chapters etc ? i have one bluray player in the house and ps3 and xbox 360..is it possible to do it in such a way that it would play on all three devices ??is there a guide on this vast forum/website that would instruct me how to go about it ?
    BD Rebuilder has options to remove sections you don't want and still retain the menus and chapters while compressing to fit a 25gb disc. BD Rebuilder has no decryption capability though, so you would have to rip the movie to the hard drive first using AnyDVD HD, DVDFab or MakeMKV.

DVDFab has a free section called DVDFab HD Decrypter that will continue to function as a decryption/ripping program even after the trial for the main blu ray decryption section has ended. MakeMKV is free to use while in beta (and has been in beta for years), but you would need to rip using the Backup mode in order to get the entire blu ray to the hard drive. You will also need to get a new beta key each month or so from here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

AnyDVD HD is the best of the decrypters, but there is no free option after the trial.

Here is one guide for BD Rebuilder, a bit old now, but should get you started: http://club.myce.com/f32/bd-rebuilder-guide-313227/

When keeping menus and chapters, you will be making blu ray video, which will play on your blu ray player and PS3, but not on that XBox360. This is assuming you don't make backups of any blu ray with Cinavia DRM in them.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 4th Sep 2013 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by loady View Post
    ...is it possible to do the same with bluray as it was with dvd9, ie, compress it to fit on the BD25 and also remove all the foereign audio and other unwanted stuff but leep the menu and chapters etc ?
    Yes, of course, as Kerry56 explained. But your original post was about downloaded movies (no menus, and no longer Blu-Ray compliant).

i have one bluray player in the house and ps3 and xbox 360..is it possible to do it in such a way that it would play on all three devices ??
    This also the first time you've made mention of having Blu-Ray players. Before it was all about DVD players. Anyway, some will play Blu-Ray content burned to DVD5, some won't. To be on the safe side you'd better burn them to Blu-Ray discs. You might also check out multiAVCHD and AVCHDCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. thanks Kerry..very concise !!.

Also, using said tools...could i compress to dual layer dvd and use as if it were a bluray in the bluray player and ps3 ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would just toss the DVD player and get an inexpensive Blu-Ray player. I picked up a Samsung (BD-F5100 ~$70US) at BB and it's plays my HD MKVs that I've compressed down to 8GB from a BD disc with RipBot. It also plays commercial BDs, DVDs and some other formats. (Playback Formats: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, JPEG, DivX HD, AVCHD, MKV, WMV) If you were to compress a BD down to 4.37 GB and put it on a DVD blank, it would probably play that also. It will also play Netflix and Youtube and video from a USB drive. I was a bit surprised that it plays almost as much as my WDTV box. Probably the downside is the only video output is HDMI, though the audio out can be coaxial.

I compress my DVDs to MKV with VidCoder and put about 15 - 18 on a single layer BD disc and it plays them back also.
    Last edited by redwudz; 4th Sep 2013 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote