VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I need help in converting my MKV files to be able to play on my 2013 Car Head Unit (Pioneer AVH-X8500bhs). I was not successful in getting it to play H264 and Mp4 without any problems so i opt to try Divx since someone told me that he was able to make the head unit play 100% without problems when he used DIVX encoded videos.

In this regard, is there an easy way to convert MKV to DIVX ?

This is what is written in the pioneer manual:
    Divx decoding format:
    - Home Theater Ver 4, 5, 6 (excluding Ultra & HD) (.avi or .divx)
    - Max bit rate - 8000 kbps
    - Max frame rate - 30fps (in case of resolution 720v480. Max 25fps in case of 720x576)
    - Audio codec - MP2, MP3, Linear PCM/MSAD PCM, AC-3
    - Decode size - Max 720H x 480W

Can i use Xvid4PSP program to make it 1 step? The other guy told me that he converted the audio to mp3 first via the program handbrake, then he converted it further with the Divx Converter.

I would like to have a 1step process only using 1 program instead of 2. What program should i use? what settings should i choose? I want to use mp3 stereo only since this will only be for the car.

The problem is, when i opened the program Xvid4PSP, there were tons of settings. I don't know what to use.

Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Xvid4PSP can certainly do this for you, although I do not recommend your max. bit rate setting as that is likely to cause playback problems. I'd advise not going above 4000 Kbps.

Here's a good guide that should get you going. I'd recommend using CBR MP3 audio and at least 192 Kbps.
    http://www.animesenshi.com/forums/topic/4897-guide-mkv-to-xvid-conversation/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks but the guide you gave me is for version 5. I already installed the version 6.0.4. Should I use version 5 instead?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is the Xilisoft Video Converter 7 a much better solution to my problem? It seems to be able to do everything or is it just a hype?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use version 5.

Avoid xilisoft at all cost....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks! Good thing you told me about Xilisoft. I was very tempted to purchase it.

Just out of curiosity, why should I avoid using this program? Is it only because it is expensive or not free?

On a side note, can Xvid4PSP also do batch encodes?
    Last edited by joms; 2nd Sep 2013 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About Xilisoft, just read comments on download page, they summarize it perfectly if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh man, I just noticed in the pioneer manual that DIVX resolution is this: 720(H)v480(W) . Why the hell is it 720 Height? Shouldn't the Width be bigger since this is widescreen? I encoded my video in 720 x 408 (I just entered 720 and it automatically inputed 408 maybe to retain the aspect ratio)

Is this a typo error in the manual or can my pioneer head unit only process 480 width? If this is the case then it means that i have to encode in 480 width and 272 height?

Note: This is a 2013 top of the line model of pioneer. Shouldn't it be able to play the latest divx videos or such?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably just a typo. They mean 720 width and 480 height. You can even try up to 720x576 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  10. if i do 720x576, it states that i can only have a max of 25fps instead of 30fps. Would that be a problem? Can i adjust the height even if it was automatically inputted by the program when i entered 720?

Update: Nevermind 576. I just checked the website and it says that the screen resolution of my unit is only WVGA (800x480). However, in the manual it says: Pixels - 1,152,000 (2400x480) Does this mean it can handle upto 2400 width? Or only 800 as per the website? Or is there something im not seeing?
    Last edited by joms; 2nd Sep 2013 at 18:10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that. Most dvd/divx players supports max up to around 720x576 pixels.

But I would make some test files with different resolutions and see what works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. By the way, is there any way to make the encoding faster? How do i set it to use hardware encoding? I have an i7 32GB ram Geforce 660ti vcard. Would any of this help? or am i stuck with software encoding only?

Another thing, if i encode it by batch, they get an error. If i do it 1 by 1, its ok. (I do the batch encoding by opening a folder).

One such error is that xvid_encraw.exe has stopped working -
    No progress for 10 minutes, aborting encoding!

Out of 8 files, only 2 succeeded and the rest didn't push through anymore.

Update = it gave me a new error when i tried encoding in batch mode:
    Error:
    AviSynth Encoder Error: Abnormal encoder termination (exit code = 1)

Unsupported number of channels: 6
    Last edited by joms; 4th Sep 2013 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote