VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I just joined this forum and I'm new dealing with cams and video. I just bought a Canon Legria hf g10 to shoot a small documentary. I read a few things and seem to have understand that 25p would be better suited to give the project a better cinema or movie look. I made some first tests and 25p combined with 1/50 gave a nice image. I need that so called "movie blurr" and was wandering what would be the better combination. 25p at 17 or 24mbps? Can you help me out?

Thanks
    Nuno
    Quote Quote  
  2. Usually for acquisition you want to use the highest bitrate possible so 24Mbps for you. In general, when everything else is the same, higher bitrates mean less quality loss or higher quality. This is important for acquisition because it only goes downhill from there (editing, color correcting, effects etc...) and re-encoding.

But higher bitrates mean larger filesizes, thus reduced recording times on fixed capacity media - that's the tradeoff
    Quote Quote  
  3. The bitrate has nothing to do with "movie blur". You want long exposures for motion blur, wide apertures for depth of field.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marginal View Post
    ...I need that so called "movie blurr" and was wandering what would be the better combination. 25p at 17 or 24mbps?...?
    Maybe you mean that awesome (natch!) slight stuttering on fast motion scenes that only native film frame rate 24fps can bring, no? If so, then you'll have to settle for that 25p, at the highest bitrate that camcorder can do; close enough...
    For some reason, manufacturers include 24p (native or tagged as 60i) on prosumer HD camcorders intended for NTSC areas, along with 30p and 60i that is expected (and maybe 60p nowadaze). But for PAL land, they only put 25p, 50i, perhaps 50p.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks everybody for the help!
    Quote Quote