VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been ripping American Dad DVDs to mkv with makemkv and then encoding them to h264 format in handbrake. The files are about 700mb and are encoding to about 100mb. There is very little noticeable difference in quality. I've never seen the compression be so good. Is anime somehow easier to encode or something?
    Quote Quote  
  2. That type of animation is easier to compress.

There is less motion, more repeat frames, and not very many details (compared to say, a live action movie). All these things make video easier to compress
    Quote Quote  
  3. American Dad isn't anime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

It's a very simply drawn cartoon (or animation, if you prefer).
    ...and then encoding them to h264 format in handbrake. The files are about 700mb and are encoding to about 100mb. There is very little noticeable difference in quality.
    You have to know what to look for. While they're probably fine, as pdr mentions that kind of stuff is so simply drawn with so many repeated frames that it's easy to compress. Look for the mosquito noise. That's the little dots outside the lines. And then compare to the source. Better, perhaps, would be not to encode to a specific size, but to a specific quality. Try CRF 18 and see if the filesize is much larger.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    American Dad isn't anime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

It's a very simply drawn cartoon (or animation, if you prefer).
    Thank you. I'm glad somebody mentioned it. I certainly wouldn't call The Simpsons or Family Guy anime - which is the "type" of animation that American Dad is.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry guys I had no idea anime was Japanese only.
    Quote Quote