VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help me figure out why Vegas has slowed to a crawl in it's encoding. I have an i7 2600K desktop with 16GB of ram and Windows 7 64-bit. The trouble seems to be in cpu usage. It is running at less than 20% and my current encode is at 720 x 480 resolution (nothing very demanding). I am using the NEAT VIDEO plugin and I know that it is a bottle neck, but in the past it has used up to 40% CPU. At the moment, I have allowed it to run and it has completed only 3% after 5-hours of processing. The projected time is more than 21-hours remaining

I have been pulling my hair out trying to trouble shoot the problem. It doesn't seem to matter if I encode to MPEG2 or YUV (sony lossless codec). Both barely tax my system yet I am left waiting. I tracked down similar reports and some people seem to suggest changing the Dynamic RAM to a very small number (75 MB down to 16MB). I have tried both this adjustment and also I've tried 8GB of RAM. Neither seems to make a change.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I should try.

Thanks for looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you don't want slow encodes, don't use neat video. if you have to use it make sure it's the latest version and that you have an extremely fast video card (or 2) like a gtx 780 and use cpu+gpu encoding.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, in case someone else happens upon this post, I have found the answer to my Neat Video slow down. Apparently there is a bug that occurs with an update of the video card drivers. I found out that I needed to revert my nvidia video driver to release version 314.22. I found this in the Neat Video forum:

http://www.neatvideo.com/nvforum/viewtopic.php?t=910

After reverting, my encoding went from more than 20 hours (and less than 60% complete) down to less than 5-hours. Thanks.
    Quote Quote