VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I don't know why the recorded videos 720 x 480 with ffdshow Video Codec have top and bottom black bars, which is very unpleasant.

I use CyberLink Power Director and Movavi Video Editor and 2 they have them. It comes for AVI video files.

I tried with different codecs, you still have them. I want the processed clips to write them down with ffdshow Video Codec with the encoder MJPEJ.

I'm sure of the settings and options of the ffdshow Video Decoder can be set so that you are gone, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

Can anyone help me?

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you explain exactly what you are doing...

Can't you just crop the black borders?

Is it same problem as in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/346139-Problem-with-720x480-resolution?p=2162813#post2162813 ???
    Last edited by Baldrick; 30th Aug 2013 at 04:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, this is not the same problem. I'm editing video with power director and Movavi Video Editor.

The edited video save it with ffdshow video codec MJPEJ. The video file at the top and bottom black bars there.

I'm don't want video file resize. I want to write it down with a resolution of 720 x 480, without black bars at the top and bottom.

Yes, I want before save the video file, from the settings ffdshow encoder or decoder, i'm want to cutting out the black bars on the top and bottom, but I don't know how to do it, and then write it down.

When I open a folder with an edited and recorded videos,of their thumbnails i'm see black bars top and bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm still unclear. Does the source video already have black bars? Is it a widescreen video?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    pranjev - If you really want help, upload a small sample. Your attempt to describe both what you have and what you want to do is failing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, the video source has no black bars. No, this is not a widescreen video. This is small sample video:

https://www.zeta-uploader.com/140916608
    Last edited by pranjev; 31st Aug 2013 at 18:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. "Please Sign up or Login"

No thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's a 720x480 MJPEG AVI. It looks like the correct DAR is 4:3. But the software you are using probably identifying it as 3:2 DAR since AVI doesn't really include PAR/DAR flags. Most editors/converters allow you to override the source PAR/DAR.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank You jagabo.

Could you explain what exactly is PAR/DAR flags?

What can I do to solve my problem?
    Quote Quote  
  10. PAR is pixel aspect ratio, the shape of individual pixel. DAR is display aspect ratio the final displayed shape of the picture. In general, any frames size can be used to contain any display aspect ratio:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355019-Best-bitrate-for-minimal-quality-loss?p=2233...=1#post2233424

Since your file doesn't include any PAR or DAR information the programs is the frame aspect ratio (720:480, 3:2) for the DAR. To fit a square pixel 3:2 image in a 4:3 frame requires adding black letterbox bars top and bottom. I don't know the programs you are using but most programs will let you override the assumed DAR by letting you specify the DAR or PAR. In your case DAR=4:3 (1.333), PAR=8:9 (0.889)
    Quote Quote