VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I've downloaded some avi files of old Bengali films with hard coded English subtitles. The files play perfectly on my PC and the subtitles appear OK at the bottom of the screen.
    I have converted to DVD using Convert2DVD5. The disc plays OK on my DVD player but only 1 line of text appears at the foot of the screen. I have had a similar problem a few years ago and was recommended a peice of software to add a black border at the foot of the avi file resulting in the missing lines displaying on the black border.I can't remember the name of the software. Any suggestions please

Frannybyrn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Turn off overscan on your TV. Not all TVs have that ability.

By the way, hard subs are burnt into the picture just like the end credits of a movie. They cannot be turned off. Soft subs are separate text or image files that are overlaid (or not) by software during playback -- hence they can be switched off or on. Embeded subs are soft subs muxed into the same container as the audio and video, rather than a separate file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Aug 2013 at 09:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you by any chance working with PAL sources (this is very likely) and converting to NTSC DVD? I've seen improper PAL -> NTSC conversions result in this kind of subtitle problem. Using a different program to convert might fix it if that's the case. It's not free but a lot of people seem to like ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote