VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dell Inspiron 530 that has 8 GB of RAM and a E4500 at 2.2 Ghz. My Blu Ray driver says, "CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.2 GHz or equivalent (Recommended: Core 2 Duo E6600 or higher). Do you think my specs will work with this drive or should I upgrade the processor?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As long as your system can maintain a burning data rate at around 20 MBytes a sec you will be ok.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the processor speed the most important thing when burning to Blu Ray?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,its the burning rate that the system can keep up with,older cpu systems don't have the power to keep up,some cpus at 2.2 ghz dual core are faster than other 3ghz dual core cpus,depends on the architecture of the cpu and system.

Try copying a video file,around 4 gb from one folder to another folder and see how fast the copy rate is,if its lower than 20mbytes per sec then you will need to upgrade your whole system,ideally you want to have at least 50MBPS on a regular hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I copied a file and averaged 33 mbps for a 4 GB file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a second Inspiron 580s that has a i3 530 2.93 Ghz processor with 4 GB of RAM. I've been debating on which computer I should put my Blu Ray burner.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you meant 33 MBps that should have taken 2 minutes which is good enough for burning at 4x blu-ray,
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Put it on the inspiron.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This Inspiron I have is specifically for non-Internet audio/video projects. So even if it does take awhile to burn a disc I just hit the button on the KVM switch and I can come back to the computer when it's done.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Put it on the inspiron.
    The 530 with E4500 or the 580s with the i3?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 580s with the i3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My internal Bluray burner (LG BH14NS40) is is on a lowly Intel E2180 2Ghz core2 with only 2GB of ram and plays BD and burns fine. As you no doubt know you'll need a hdcp compatible graphics card and display to play protected content.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    As you no doubt know you'll need a hdcp compatible graphics card and display to play protected content.
    I became aware of that today. The HDMI port on my Inspiron 580s gives no video. I have a low profile graphics card that allows for dual DVI, but I don't have the cables/monitor set up for that yet. That is pretty disappointing that the Blu-Ray won't play without hdcp compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matthewjohn23
    That is pretty disappointing that the Blu-Ray won't play without hdcp compatibility.
    Shouldn't it still output at sd resolutions even without an hdcp connection? At least that is what I thought was supposed to happen. You just won't get hd but you should still get a picture over dvi. And I think there are dvi connections with hdcp but I don't know that for sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    That is pretty disappointing that the Blu-Ray won't play without hdcp compatibility.
    Shouldn't it still output at sd resolutions even without an hdcp connection? At least that is what I thought was supposed to happen. You just won't get hd but you should still get a picture over dvi. And I think there are dvi connections with hdcp but I don't know that for sure.
    I have Cyberlink Power DVD that came with the Blu Ray drive. It will not allow me to watch Blu Ray video on my VGA connection. I had no idea that Blu Ray was so restrictive in terms of only being able to see it on a HD monitor or TV. I tested two Blu Rays and only one of them would play in VLC. But honestly I think the viewing experience is actually much better on my $40 Sony Blu Ray Player on my 40" TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually much better on my $40 Sony Blu Ray Player on my 40" TV.
    That's the best way to go. Especially since its most likely in a proper viewing room rather than at a desk in a corner. Just stick with that and you'll be fine.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My old PC is a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ w/ 2GB's RAM, and it has burned numerous Bluray's at 4X just fine.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    actually much better on my $40 Sony Blu Ray Player on my 40" TV.
    That's the best way to go. Especially since its most likely in a proper viewing room rather than at a desk in a corner. Just stick with that and you'll be fine.
    The reason I have the burner is for backup purposes and also to read and burn Blu Rays. I don't find watching the Blu Ray on my computer to be particularly inspiring. But I guess I had no idea what type of proprietary stuff was going on with needing HD hardware to play movies on the Blu Ray software.
    Quote Quote