VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have a ton of mp4 files (mostly youtube) that i'd like to split into smaller segments.

Is there a program that will work with the current codec H.264 MPEG-4 AVC to slice and dice these videos up without a lengthy re-encode?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 can. But it costs just under $100 US.

I'm not aware of anything free that can do that, but maybe somebody else is.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video To Video Converter has a file splitter under the Tools menu. The commercial remover is a basic editor. They both give you a preview of the video. They'll work without re-encoding as long as you're happy to split/edit on keyframes.
    I haven't used it for MP4 myself (I use MKV) but it'll work with lots of different containers/formats.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Solveig MM video splitter is a fantastic program for this.
    If you want to see what I've done with my videos,
    check out my video work on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/duhmez/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Avidemux cannot cut on exact frames properly for alot of videos. I don't recommend it.
    If you want to see what I've done with my videos,
    check out my video work on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/duhmez/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 can. But it costs just under $100 US.
    I downloaded & tried this; it was able to cut within 20 frames or so of where I needed it. btw, I used this on a huge video... like 3 hours long. Cut it into about 6 pieces with a bit of MsPaint work to make sure the exact point was cut from piece to piece. It did not re-encode; it was super super FAAASSTT.

I will buy this!

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Video To Video Converter has a file splitter under the Tools menu. Commercial remover is a basic editor. Both give you a preview of the video. Work without re-encoding as long as you're happy to split/edit on keyframes.
    Haven't used it for MP4 myself (I use MKV) but it'll work with lots of different containers/formats.
    dL'd this, haven't tried it yet.

Originally Posted by duhmez View Post
    Solveig MM video splitter is a fantastic program for this.
    I'm about to dL this; will try it out sometime.

Avidemux cannot cut on exact frames properly for alot of videos. I don't recommend it.
    What about MkvMerge??

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I also dL'd this; will try it out sometime and report back results.

Life is very busy right now, but for the fastest re-encode I'd like to see if any of the other programs can beat VideoReDo H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Perry Tanko View Post
    Avidemux cannot cut on exact frames properly for alot of videos. I don't recommend it.
    What about MkvMerge??
    Any programs which cut without re-encoding are limited to cutting on keyframes and Avidemux is no different in that respect. In order to cut on specific frames a program at least needs to be capable of "smart cutting" and able to re-encode the section of video around the cut point. It's not the sort of thing I've needed myself so I can't recommend any free programs capable of smart cutting. Well there's MKV Cutter for MKVs and Video To Video Converter may be capable of smart cutting but I haven't played around with it myself yet.

MKVMergeGUI is quite capable of splitting but it has the same keyframe limitation and of course doesn't give you any preview for selecting the cut/split points, but as I don't do much cutting myself I use MKVMergeGUI for it when I do, after opening the video in a media player to work out where it needs to be cut/split.

Any program capable of cutting without re-encoding should be pretty fast.... as fast as your hard drive can read and write.
    Quote Quote