VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. EditDoc
    Search Comp PM
    AUDIO! Any creative ideas on how I can make a Home Recording (filmed with a blue Screen) V/O sound more outside ambient to match the visual outside ambient? Is there a preset? Can you recommend me a plug-in or software to get the desired outside ambient effect? I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 and here's a YouTube example, appreciate some kind feedback here, thank you!
    P.S.
    Obvioulsy the video example above I've messed with the EQ so much, that the sound is like 30% from the original, the original is 95% High End!
    Nigel Phillips
    seovideostrategies.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's no magic trick here, it's called sound editing and it's been used in the movies since "The Jazz Singer."

Add an ambience sound effect track to your timeline. You can get sound effects on CD, online, even on iTunes. Another option is to go to a similar environment with a sound recorder or even your camera and record it yourself.

You can "sell" the ambience track a little better with a well-placed fake-sync specific hit like a car horn or bird chirp or wave crash or laughter.
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Aug 2013 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. EditDoc
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my distress call If you would have taken the time to listen to the YT video which I attached, you would have seen that I already have been using sound effects. To move to another environment to do the recording wouldnt help either, this is why we use a blue screen, my parner is in UK and IÄm here in Germany editing his work.

The ambience has already been sold by using sounds like wave crash and laughter.

Why is there so many presets, software and plugins out there to make the v/o sound in a Hall, Cave, Toilet, Cinema etc etc but nothing for an inside recording, with outside bluescreening footage? Adjusting the EQ helps a little, but is still not great!

Thanks anyway, cheers...
    Nigel Phillips
    seovideostrategies.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, sometimes it's hard to find that "one button that does exactly what I want" preset. And I think you misunderstood my suggestion about recording a new background track.

Best of Luck.
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Aug 2013 at 08:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hall, cave, toilet, cinema, etc., can all be emulated through your reverb settings. You have to experiment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might consider some ambiance in your greenscreen element too.

And the sky looks weird. Bring down the highlights and midtones.

Last edited by budwzr; 21st Aug 2013 at 11:27.
    Quote Quote  
  7. EditDoc
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I will concider bringing in more ambient in my green screen elements, thanks for the very useful tip! Really appreciate such advice - cheers!
    Nigel Phillips
    seovideostrategies.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The biggest issue is the echo from your recording environment (which sounds like a garage or small office). In natural outdoor settings there will be very little echo as sounds will be absorbed by trees, grass, sand, etc.

You can't fully remove echo on an existing recording, although you could try an auto-duck filter which will silence the audio when the volume gets below a threshold. As the echo in your example is quiet relative to your voice, it can probably cut out a fair amount of it.

For better results use a lapel mic, as it will pick up much less extraneous sounds than the one on the camera. Recording in an acoustically dead environment is also important. Then in post you can add the correct type of echo/reverb to match the keyed in scene.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for laughs I fixed the audio to go along with the spiel. This is just for fun mind you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. EditDoc
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Intracube,
    That is more of an answer which I connect to! From budwzr I got some brilliant tips and now from you more on audio! (cloud 9 man)

Well, both you guys have taken over the boys in Creative Cow where I've been for years, which by the way I've now erased from my bookmarks completely! This Videohelp Forum really is the place I need to be, its you guy who make it so warm and comfortable in here - like finding a second home if you like ! Thanks thanks thanks And thanks for writing so normal and less egoistic!

Anyway, back to Intracube now. So I cant remove echo - FULLY! thats what I've been trying to do, bugger! I managed to cut much out by lowering the highs and lows, but still isnt perfect! (yes I know, perfect does not exsist :_))

Next time I will concentrate on not using my condensed mic and go for something cheaper and more simple to get that outside effect which I'm after.

I do have one more question for you guys today, any idea what is causing this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GPODKgB__8

Han is a friend of mine and has just installed Sony Vegas and rendered the following rubbish, without going into to much depth, any ideas off hand? I suggested that his graphic card cant handle it?

Look forward to hear what you think,

Again thanks that you are out there and taking time to help others like me, really appreciated.
    Nigel Phillips
    seovideostrategies.com
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EditDoc View Post
    So I cant remove echo - FULLY! thats what I've been trying to do, bugger! I managed to cut much out by lowering the highs and lows, but still isnt perfect! (yes I know, perfect does not exsist :_))
    Sorry for the delay. Just to clarify; I wasn't talking about a frequency equalizer adjustment, but some sort of low dB cut-off to try and eliminate the decay aspect of the echo. But thinking about it, it wouldn't work as the decay in your example is so short compared to an echo in a cathedral (where the decay might be a second or more) it couldn't be isolated this way.

The type of microphone matters less than the distance it is from the speaker (the nearer the better). This way you'll get the best signal level relative to the inherent echo in the room.

Not sure what's causing that video capture error. If I had to guess I'd say a hardware/driver incompatibility rather than CPU limitations. If the computer wasn't powerful enough you're more likely just to see dropped frames and stuttering. Not weird colour changes.
    Quote Quote