VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys!

I know this one looks kind of crappy, but do you have any suggestions? I notice motion artifacts, kind of like ghosting. The noise I can deal with. Here is a link!

http://files.videohelp.com/u/183506/karate%20clip.demuxed.m2v

Muchos Thanks Yous to everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It has lots wrong with it, but just to unblend it:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or the better QTGMC
    Srestore(Frate=23.976)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    double post
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It has lots wrong with it, but just to unblend it:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or the better QTGMC
    Srestore(Frate=23.976)
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Friends,

I have a clip here, but I don't think it's fixable:

http://files.videohelp.com/u/183506/tai%20chi.demuxed.m2v

I don't think the blending artifacts can be removed from this. Am I right? I hope I'm learning something!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, the damage is already done. It's blended and progressive. It's nothing I'd know how to fix. There are also lots of duplicate frames and missing frames which can be fixed with interpolators. A lot of work, that one, to try and improve it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I think blended and progressive is the kiss of death. lol!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a clip from the same film. I don't notice the blending artifacts here. Is it possible to have artifacts in part of a video, but not in other parts?

http://files.videohelp.com/u/183506/tai%20chi%202.demuxed.m2v

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. That one doesn't seem to be blended. Which may mean it's not NTSC to PAL, unless the movie came from two different sources, maybe. Was the blending only in the opening credits, or do you find it scattered around the movie in different places?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Just in the opening credits. Isn't that weird?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not really, and that should put you at ease that it's only at the very beginning and it's a PAL release speeded up from film, rather than being field-blended or converted in some other even worse way.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    Just in the opening credits. Isn't that weird?
    Not really. They probably slowed the film down and blended to fit the running time of the credits or because they wanted a slow motion effect. It's very common to find credits are treated like that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

Well, thanks to what I have learnt here I can now tell what telecined film looks like and I know how to get rid of blending artifacts with avisynth! I have this clip that is causing me consternation. The movie looks to me like telecined film with normal 3:2 pulldown. That was easy for me to fix. But there are some credits at the film's beginning that have a weird flicker effect going on. What would that be called and is that fixable? Here is a link to the clip: http://files.videohelp.com/u/183506/genghis.m2v

Thanks guys!

h
    Quote Quote  
  14. The problem with the credits is that they are too small and sharp -- a result of a 2.4:1 movie being letterboxed in a 4:3 DAR DVD frame. Film bounce is causing thin horizontal lines to flicker in and out. If you care about the credits pick out good frames (or construct some by merging several frames together) then rebuild the credits. It's all simple fades.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Would resizing help, or is it too late for that? Thanks, Jagabo!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Resizing won't help because fields/frames are missing some of the thin horizontal lines. Here a reconstruction of one section of the titles. I use Merge() four times to blend 16 frames together then trimmed out a good one, repeated it for the length of the title, and used FadeIn and FadeOut. I also did a levels adjustment to get a purer black for the background.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Resizing won't help because fields/frames are missing some of the thin horizontal lines. Here a reconstruction of one section of the titles. I use Merge() four times to blend 16 frames together then trimmed out a good one, repeated it for the length of the title, and used FadeIn and FadeOut. I also did a levels adjustment to get a purer black for the background.
    And you did that with avisynth?? Wow!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes. I started with the interlaced video because I wasn't confident the IVTC would work well. Then:

Code:
    Stab() # reduce film bounce so the frames line up better
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd()) # blend two consecutive frames
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd()) # 4 frames
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd()) # 8 frames
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd()) # 16 frames blended together

Trim(35,35).Loop(635,0,0) # get one frame, repeat it 635 times
    AssumeFPS(24000,1001) # NTSC film frame rate
    #Levels(38,1,235,0,255).Blur(0.3) # optional levels adjustment plus slight antialiasing
    FadeIn(4) # fade in at start
    FadeOut(4) # fade out at end
    You would do that for each of the ~10 titles, then append them together with a few black frames in between, ending up with a title sequence that matches the original but doesn't have the flickering lines.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

Back with another question. Every time I think I am figuring this out, I encounter something I don't quite get. Here is a clip with some interlacing issues. Most things I come across follow that 3:2 pulldown patter that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Here's a clip with interlacing that doesn't follow that pattern. My question is - How would you fix it AVIsynth and what is wrong with the video? What would you call this kind of interlacing? Here is a clip:

http://files.videohelp.com/u/183506/revenge.demuxed%20(2).m2v

Thank you again for your help. The video gods here are brilliant!
    Quote Quote  
  20. What you have is a field blended PAL to NTSC conversion. Use SRestore to get back to 25 fps progressive frames.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("revenge.demuxed (2).d2v") 
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1) # or Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0))
    SRestore()
    After that you can slow the video to 23.976 fps and use the usual 3:2 pulldown flags (you'll also need to slow the audio), or encode at 25 fps and use DgPulldown to add 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags (in which case you don't need to change the audio).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Does DGpulldown also change the frame size to the NTSC standard? Thanks, Jagabo!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    What is your personal preferred method of going from pal to ntsc? thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  23. The frame size is already NTSC standard -- 720x480. Yadif and SRestore don't change that. I hardly ever make DVDs anymore but when I did I would encode at 25 fps and use DgPulldown. That way I could use the original audio. The look of the video on-screen isn't very different.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    What is your personal preferred method of going from pal to ntsc?
    Just to provide a different opinion, I always slow them to film speed and slow the audio as well.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    What is your personal preferred method of going from pal to ntsc?
    Just to provide a different opinion, I always slow them to film speed and slow the audio as well.
    If I may ask, do you like besweet to slow the audio or do you use something else?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I use BeSweet, yes. I slow it and make a WAV file because I usually work on it a bit in Audacity before reencoding for AC3. Others might slow and reencode to AC3 at the same time using eac3to
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What you have is a field blended PAL to NTSC conversion. Use SRestore to get back to 25 fps progressive frames.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("revenge.demuxed (2).d2v") 
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1) # or Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0))
    SRestore()
    After that you can slow the video to 23.976 fps and use the usual 3:2 pulldown flags (you'll also need to slow the audio), or encode at 25 fps and use DgPulldown to add 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags (in which case you don't need to change the audio).
    Hi!

Is it okay to use qtgmc instead of yadif? Would you also use AssumeTFF?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    Is it okay to use qtgmc instead of yadif?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    Would you also use AssumeTFF?
    Yes. Though Mpeg2Source() should set the field order flag for you.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Feb 2014 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I know to use assumetff when fixing pal/ntsc conversions, but what does it actually do?

Thank you very much for your help!

h
    Quote Quote  
  30. It specifies which of the two fields in an interlace frame is supposed to be viewed first.
    Quote Quote