VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was trying to back up my THE CURE concert Blu-ray which is about 45 Gigs. It DOES have a lot of audio trax and options. I of course chose to keep the HD audio. It was processing everything just fine, but when it got to the main video track (the concert itself) I got this error. Does this just mean that the Blu-ray with all the audio in it is just simply too big to shrink it to fit a BD25 normally using BDRB?

Could someone give me the basic reasons why this 'size' error would be generated?

Thank you!

____________________________L@the
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Might be a bad rip. Re-rip and try again. The log might be helpful along with the results from inspect.exe
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are several reasons it might be generated, but my list is not meant to cover all possibilities as something I don't know about could be the cause of your problem.

1) Did you eliminate any audio or subtitle tracks? If so, put them all back in and try again. I have seen BDRB (and DVD Rebuilder by the same author) fail to shrink the files enough when some audio and/or subtitle tracks are eliminated.
    2) Is any of the video in your BD rip interlaced VC-1? If so, BDRB is very iffy about encoding interlaced VC-1. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. If you have interlaced VC-1 you can try turning on the setting "Use X264's internal LAVF for decoding" as sometimes this helps.
    3) Are any of your audio files DTS-Express? By default BDRB does NOT preserve this. DTS-Express is usually used for audio commentaries that can be at a lower bit rate than normal DTS. If you go into the install directory for BDRB and edit BDREBUILDER.INI put this entry some place in it:
    DTSX_ENABLE=1
    That will enable DTS-Express to be saved once you restart BDRB. This is somewhat related to #1 where bad things happen when you try to get rid of some audio tracks on some rips.
    4) Are you re-encoding any audio to lower bit rate AC3? Changing the audio at all can also sometimes produce problems. This is another variation on #1. Try NOT changing the audio at all.

I remember some time ago we had a similar post where the guy who posted it just was never able to get BDRB to shrink his rip enough to fit on a single layer BD-R disc and no suggestions worked. It happens. I have seen rips that it simply cannot process at all without getting into a fatal error (these are all interlaced VC-1 video) and obviously there are some discs it simply can't shrink enough for who knows what reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    There are several reasons it might be generated, but my list is not meant to cover all possibilities as something I don't know about could be the cause of your problem.

1) Did you eliminate any audio or subtitle tracks? If so, put them all back in and try again. I have seen BDRB (and DVD Rebuilder by the same author) fail to shrink the files enough when some audio and/or subtitle tracks are eliminated.
    2) Is any of the video in your BD rip interlaced VC-1? If so, BDRB is very iffy about encoding interlaced VC-1. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. If you have interlaced VC-1 you can try turning on the setting "Use X264's internal LAVF for decoding" as sometimes this helps.
    3) Are any of your audio files DTS-Express? By default BDRB does NOT preserve this. DTS-Express is usually used for audio commentaries that can be at a lower bit rate than normal DTS. If you go into the install directory for BDRB and edit BDREBUILDER.INI put this entry some place in it:
    DTSX_ENABLE=1
    That will enable DTS-Express to be saved once you restart BDRB. This is somewhat related to #1 where bad things happen when you try to get rid of some audio tracks on some rips.
    4) Are you re-encoding any audio to lower bit rate AC3? Changing the audio at all can also sometimes produce problems. This is another variation on #1. Try NOT changing the audio at all.

I remember some time ago we had a similar post where the guy who posted it just was never able to get BDRB to shrink his rip enough to fit on a single layer BD-R disc and no suggestions worked. It happens. I have seen rips that it simply cannot process at all without getting into a fatal error (these are all interlaced VC-1 video) and obviously there are some discs it simply can't shrink enough for who knows what reason.
    Ah, thank you so kindly for taking the time to list some things that may cause this ; that is PRECISELY what I wanted They are SUCH bloody snobs over on Doom9's official JDobbs thread that no one nicely just gave me some possibles like you did. So, my deepest appreciation for your help!!!

I THINK that you may be right; there is another possibility that I found in reading about this; on another thread a fellow said that his resulting encode was always a little larger than targeted. Well, it turned out that his disc had LPCM tracks that for some reason when encoded would turn out twice as big. Also, as you said and as was stated on another thread, that enabling the LAVF encoder option not only may help this situation but also hopefully utilize my processors better.

I am now rerunning the exact same Blu-ray, but this time I've enabled the internal filter and I've cancelled out the LPCM tracks, which I don't want because I am keeping the DTSHD audio (It's a concert, for Goodness sake! )

NOW, it is running just fine without the error message; so, likely it was either or both of these things which caused it.

Thank you SO much for your kind help!!!

_____________________L@the
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I used to be a member at Doom9 and I haven't logged in for years as I just got tired of the "We're better than everyone else" bs and the general unwillingness to help. It's been so long that I don't remember if it was DVD-RB or BDRB, but one of those programs was originally available only to Doom9 members that the author hand picked and the Doom9 forums were filled with posts in the official thread talking about how great the program was and how much it sucked to be one of the poor unfortunate commoners who weren't allowed access. Even today, the official BDRB forum is filled with the author's sycophantic minions who live to criticize others who ask for help as being too stupid to use the program correctly. The fact is that BDRB is not perfect and it sometimes just can't shrink down some BD rips. The author himself seems OK but his followers are just ******** for the most part.

Let us know if you do get it to get down to the right size as knowing that this fixed your problem could be useful to others who will find this thread in the future via a web search.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I used to be a member at Doom9 and I haven't logged in for years as I just got tired of the "We're better than everyone else" bs and the general unwillingness to help. It's been so long that I don't remember if it was DVD-RB or BDRB, but one of those programs was originally available only to Doom9 members that the author hand picked and the Doom9 forums were filled with posts in the official thread talking about how great the program was and how much it sucked to be one of the poor unfortunate commoners who weren't allowed access. Even today, the official BDRB forum is filled with the author's sycophantic minions who live to criticize others who ask for help as being too stupid to use the program correctly. The fact is that BDRB is not perfect and it sometimes just can't shrink down some BD rips. The author himself seems OK but his followers are just ******** for the most part.

Let us know if you do get it to get down to the right size as knowing that this fixed your problem could be useful to others who will find this thread in the future via a web search.
    Heh, well you put it in more honest terms than I did

Yeah, that is pretty much the impression that I got from reading a lot of the posts there. I think you are right that it is not so much JDobbs himself, but his @sshole minions (that was funny )

So far so good with my encode; the first pass took like 2 hours and it looks like the 2nd pass is gonna take about the same (it IS a 45 Gig Blu-ray after all...) So HOPEFULLY all will go well.

Sure appreciate the excellent suggestions; the program itself is most excellent (BDRB) and I am quite thankful to have it (MultiAVCHD is also good for a lot of compilations and shrinking, but I don't think the guy has supported it since about 2010)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again sincerely!

______________________________L@the
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, sorry to take so long to get back, but everything went BEAUTIFULLY. NEVER seen THE CURE look better!

VERY much appreciate all the help and especially the suggestion about using the internal filter. BIG difference since it will likely help with all future VC-1 encodes and also HOPEFULLY utilize my 64 bit 4 core system better.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Lathe; 31st Aug 2013 at 01:29. Reason: Don't know... Some WEIRD formatting in my reply...
    Quote Quote