VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm having some problems with my MPC HC configuration.
    When I am using KMPlayer or any other player the audio is more then twice louder and a little cleaner.
    I think this is due to wrong configuration. I will provide screens from my Media Player Classic.
    With the same file but from my TV player ( internal ) the audio once again is quite better and much louder.
    How can I fix this? Thanks. Any help will be appreciated.
    Greeting from Bulgaria.

Video file MediaInfo

General
    Unique ID : 252854855717173033705247609312334567915 (0xBE3A12E5EDE29F32B3FAC24092CBD9EB)
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 2.65 GiB
    Duration : 41mn 24s
    Overall bit rate : 9 147 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-05-20 05:21:32
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.5.0 ('Healer') built on Apr 6 2012 21:43:24
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 8 512 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.171
    Stream size : 2.41 GiB (91%)
    Writing library : x264 core 124 r2197 69a0443
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=8512 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel count : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 190 MiB (7%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

See the screens below. I am using ReClock and LAV Filters. I played a little with the settings but whit no success so far. Thanks in advance
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	8904
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	19263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	7374
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	19264  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	7597
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	19265  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	8235
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	19266  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	8783
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	19267  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	8242
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	19268  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	8112
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	19269  

Last edited by Baldrick; 9th Aug 2013 at 07:03. Reason: Please read our rules about warez, https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-(AUP)?
    Intel Core i5-2500k 4.6Ghz + Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Dual Fan | Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3| Galaxy GTX 470 GC 775/1550/1738 | Corsair XMS 2x2GB DDR3 1600
    Quote Quote  
  2. There may be a volume difference the quality should be the same.... unless KMPlayer has effects such as equalisation or compression which is enabled.

Many players are able to increase the volume above 100%. If they do so by default the audio will be louder but i can't say I think it's a good idea as if the audio is loud to begin with it can cause distortion. MPC-HC has a volume normaliser and a volume boost slider in it's settings under Audio Switcher. I don't know if they work when you're using an external decoder as I've not used them myself, but that's where you'll find them.

If LAV has an option to disable AC3 dialogue normalisation, try disabling it. It only applies to AC3 (and maybe DTS) but it invariable gets the player to reduce the volume. If you enable MPC-HC's internal AC3 decoder does the volume change without LAV decoding? Does it sound different?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried everything you said but with no luck.
    Intel Core i5-2500k 4.6Ghz + Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Dual Fan | Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3| Galaxy GTX 470 GC 775/1550/1738 | Corsair XMS 2x2GB DDR3 1600
    Quote Quote  
  4. If in doubt, it sometimes pays to start again. Try using the reset button in Settings under Miscellaneous. That should get MPC-HC to go back to defaults and not use external decoders/splitters. Maybe try enabling the boost function after you've reset it (and it'd probably pay to restart MPC-HC after you do too). If the problem goes away then it's likely caused by an external something or other, so you could try adding them back one at a time. If resetting doesn't make any difference..... well I'm out of ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to achieve louder sound is when I disable LAV and Reclock. And use Internal MPC HC and audio Switcher... This is very strange. Only with Reclock or Lav the result is the same very quite audio... I am lost here...

EDIT: Can I use Audio Switcher, Reclock and LAV Audio at the same time and what will be the loss ?
    Also I am unable to use WAASAPI in Reclock because there is an error..

EDIT2: With all the same config from my first post but with Audio Switcher Enabled, the audio is loud as it should be, but I think I will lose quality?
    Quote Quote  
  6. My basic understanding is with the audio switcher disabled, MPC-HC sends all the audio streams off to the eternal decoder (ffdshow in my case) and when I disabled it and opened an MKV with two audio streams, not only did that run two instances of ffdshow and two instances of Reclock but I could listen to both audio streams sounding terrible at the same time. There's possibly a way to get around that by selecting the stream using the decoder somehow... maybe.... but I've not had to think about it. I your soundcard was trying to resample two audio streams simultaneously maybe that was more than it could cope with. That's what it sounded like to me. With the audio switcher disabled, MKVs with a single audio stream still sounded as they previously did though. Or maybe ReClock trying to adjust the speed of the video using 2 different audio streams at the same time just isn't the way to do it.
    Maybe your WAASAPI error has something to do with not using the audio switcher and sometimes sending more than one stream to the decoder?

When you enable the audio switcher you might also notice there's an Audio menu under MPC-HCs Play menu for selecting the audio stream you want if the file contains more than one. I'm pretty sure with the audio switcher disabled the Audio menu will be greyed out.
    I use a combination of MP-HC, audio switcher, Reclock and ffdshow. Lav Filters should work the same.

Edit: Well you made me contemplate the audio switcher's boost option while using an external decoder, which I think got the penny to drop and a quick test seems to confirm it....... the audio switcher "switches" regardless of decoder when it's enabled, but the other stuff such as boost or normalise appears not to work unless you're using an internal MPC-HC audio decoder, which makes sense in the "how can a player effect the audio level while something else is decoding it" scheme of things, so I'd be willing to assume the audio switcher itself doesn't do anything to change the quality of the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont want to open another thread so I will ask here.
    How to get Full Screen without black bars on MPC HC?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. When you run full screen it'll resize the video until either the width or height of the video match the width or height of the monitor, so unless the monitor and video are the same aspect ratio.... black bars somewhere.

If you don't want to distort the picture the only way to fill the screen is to zoom in. I watch wide aspect ratio video that way on my TV all the time.
    The numeric keypad on the keyboard does the zooming stuff. The basics are "9" to zoom in, "1" to zoom out, and "5" to reset. The rest of the numeric keys stretch the video in one way or another which I dislike. "Zooming in" means you'll lose some of the picture (usually some from each side if you're watching wide aspect ratio video), but I never miss it and it's way better than stretching the video to fill the screen.

The Ctrl key plus the numeric keys move the picture up and down etc, while if you're into that sort of thing, the Alt key plus the numeric keys do rotation.

They're all listed under "Keys" in Options, so you can change them if you want to.
    I can't remember exactly, but the above doesn't work with every renderer. It definitely works with the WMR9 (renderless) and EVR (custom presenter) renderers. You can select the renderer under Output in Options (restart MPC-HC for the renderer change to take effect).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using MadVR. Thanks friend, I will try this. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hey... I had the same issue. I am working with a MPC-HC + LAVfilter+MadVR setup.

What I did to resolve this: in the MPC-HC menu, I went to external filters. (you can also get there while playing a video/ audio file: right-click-> filters-> LAV audio decoder). I double clicked LAV Audio Decoder. Under the sub menu "mixing" I enabled mixing, set it to stereo, which was what I needed (but you can edit this depending on preferred setting, 5.1, 6.1 etc). That's it.. Volume was exponentially increased!

Good luck!
    Quote Quote