VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently, successfully managed to convert some DVD files that were originally VHS tapes into WMV files. Then I put all the separate files into Windows Movie Maker and then actually burnt the whole thing to DVD via Windows DVD Maker.

The files were burnt successfully to the DVD but they came out very grainy and the colours seemed too rich, as though there was too much contrast on a television.

I'm gradually learning but I just want to know if there is anything I can do about rectifying this problem. Is there a software free or otherwise that can take out the grainy and over colour contrast? Is it the case that burning through Windows DVD Maker may be the problem? The reason I used DVD Maker is because the menus are very nifty. perhaps someone can explain to me why this happened?

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    I recently, successfully managed to convert some DVD files that were originally VHS tapes into WMV files. Then I put all the separate files into Windows Movie Maker and then actually burnt the whole thing to DVD via Windows DVD Maker.
    Are you saying you have a DVD made from a VHS tape by someone? And you then took that DVD and converted it to WMV? And you took that WMV and converted it back to DVD, maybe doing some filtering or editing along the way? Have I got that right?
    The files were burnt successfully to the DVD but they came out very grainy and the colours seemed too rich, as though there was too much contrast on a television.
    And they weren't that way in the 'source' DVD? So you did something in Movie Maker to create that noise and oversaturated and/or contrasty video?
    I'm gradually learning but I just want to know if there is anything I can do about rectifying this problem.
    For starters, never convert anything to WMV. Don't use it as an intermediate format. The DVD can be worked on in a lossless format before being converted back to DVD. And don't use Windows Movie Maker. At all. For anything.
    The reason I used DVD Maker is because the menus are very nifty.
    A pretty poor reason to use it, if you ask me. The original DVD didn't have any menus? Or they weren't any good? And there was something wrong with the original DVD that you felt the need to work on it? Surely you didn't use Movie Maker just to create some menus?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying you have a DVD made from a VHS tape by someone? And you then took that DVD and converted it to WMV? And you took that WMV and converted it back to DVD, maybe doing some filtering or editing along the way? Have I got that right?
    I had some family videos that I had professionally put on DVD's. (VOB files). I also have a camcorder and when I put the files from that onto the computer, they come out as MP4 files. The VOB files I converted to WMV files using FrameMaker Video Converter. These files and the MP4 files I put straight into Windows Live Movie Maker. Then when I clicked 'Burn files to DVD' from windows Live Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker opened up and I burnt the files to a blank DVD. I did not do any filtering whatsoever as I did not know how to do so.

And they weren't that way in the 'source' DVD? So you did something in Movie Maker to create that noise and oversaturated and/or contrasty video?
    In the original DVD that the VHS tapes were converted on to, no, they weren't that way and were not grainy or saturated. The MP4 files were also not grainy and looked fine when played on the computer. It was only when I burnt them to DVD that they became grainy and saturated.

For starters, never convert anything to WMV. Don't use it as an intermediate format. The DVD can be worked on in a lossless format before being converted back to DVD. And don't use Windows Movie Maker. At all. For anything.
    Okay, if I should never convert anything to WMV. What should I convert it to? What would be my next step here? Also, if you are saying I should not use Windows Live Movie Maker at all for anything, can you tell me why and what I should use instead?

A pretty poor reason to use it, if you ask me. The original DVD didn't have any menus? Or they weren't any good? And there was something wrong with the original DVD that you felt the need to work on it? Surely you didn't use Movie Maker just to create some menus?
    No, the original DVD or the MP4 clips did not have any menus at the beginning. The MP4 clips, were a series of separate clips and without using something like Windows Movie Maker, they would not have joined up together and there would have been a blank screen in between each clip. As I said, when I clicked 'burn to disc' on Windows Live Movie Maker, it brought up 'Windows DVD Maker' and I burnt to DVD from this program where I could add a menu and music. 'Windows DVD Maker' is a separate program to 'Windows Live Movie Maker' and comes with Windows 7.

Can you tell me how it should have been done then and how you would have done it to stop the grainy videos after they had been edited from the original source or Regarding the MP4 clips that were fine looking on the computer but the composition changed after I burnt them to disc? Should I have used different software and where can I find decent menus to the equivalent of Windows DVD Maker?

Thanks

HB
    Last edited by Heathsideboy; 8th Aug 2013 at 06:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hech,

Are you saying that I should just convert them to MPEG files first and then burn the DVD and this will then stop the grainy oversaturated DVD? Does this also apply to the MP4 files that I took with my camcorder and put on the computer? Should they also be converted to MPEG before burning?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    I also have a camcorder and when I put the files from that onto the computer, they come out as MP4 files.
    OK, that wasn't such a good idea but if they're already in MP4 format, then they have to be converted to DVD MPEG-2 video. The original DVD doesn't have to be converted to anything. Not WMV, not anything. Why reencode it twice just to join it to the videos that are MP4 converted to DVD video?
    It was only when I burnt them to DVD that they became grainy and saturated.
    So you're satisfied with the original DVD as-is, and only have to convert the MP4 video to DVD video. Leave the DVD alone and convert the MP4 files using something else, AVSToDVD perhaps. Then use DVD Styler or similar authoring program to create the menus. DVD Styler is free, others may not be.
    Okay, if I should never convert anything to WMV. What should I convert it to?
    Nothing. Don't convert it at all. Every reencode degrades the quality and here you're reencoding it twice for no reason at all.

The MP4 clips have to be converted to DVD video and audio. The original DVD doesn't have to be converted at all. Once in DVD format you need only add menus. Again, maybe DVD Styler or some commercial program such as DVDLab Pro or TMPGEnc Authoring Works can be used to do that part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I shall give it another go and let you know how I got on thanks for your advice.

HB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I'm back. I tried a little experimenting. This was just using MP4 files. I put the MP4 files in a free program called 'Freemake Video Converter' that just happened to have its own menus as well.

First of all, I burnt the MP4 files direct to DVD without converting them first. The DVD picture came out the best that I've had so far but all the sound was out of sync, so I ditched that one. Shame really because the picture was really good.

Second, I tried another DVD and converted them first to MPEG. Then I burnt the DVD. The sound was perfect and in sync but the picture was not as good as when I burnt the MP4's direct. This time, they were still a little bit grainy but better than my original effort. Any ideas how I can make them less grainy and in sync?

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, most users are looking for a one-button silver bullet and ignore everything else.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    As I said, most users are looking for a one-button silver bullet and ignore everything else.
    Well we all have to start somewhere Sanlyn.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    First of all, I burnt the MP4 files direct to DVD without converting them first.
    So your DVD player also plays MP4 files that haven't been converted?
    ... but all the sound was out of sync
    You really did convert that MP4 to a DVD? Why would the audio of an untouched MP4 all of a sudden wind up out of synch? You're not being very clear.
    Any ideas how I can make them less grainy and in sync?
    I've already suggested using AVSToDVD to convert the MP4 to a DVD followed by DVD Styler to create some menus for both videos. No guarantees, though.

I know if you already have a DVD it can be told not to reencode, but only create its basic menus. I have no idea how it handles 2 videos, one of which needs to be converted. You might try asking in the dedicated AVS2DVD thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?highlight=avstodvd
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    True. Everyone in this forum was new to this at one time, and most of us are still learning. But IMO you've started along the wrong track for getting what you want. Others have suggested something better. Recording VHS directly to DVD is usually lower quality to begin with, but it's manageable if not too badly damaged. But re-encoding them again.....I'd say you don't know what "encoding" means. You seem to think it's like ZIP or RAR, which it most definitely is not. Re-encoding loses quality. Re-encoding again loses more.

What was wrong with the original DVD or the original source that you didn't like?

Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    Second, I tried another DVD and converted them first to MPEG.
    Converted DVD to MPEG using what? DVD is already MPEG. And you don't really "convert" to MPEG, you re-encode to MPEG unless you mean you just ripped (copied) VOB to your computer and called it MPEG.

Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    Any ideas how I can make them less grainy and in sync?
    Yes. You can back up a bit and explain what you're working with and, then, stop doing almost everything you've done so far. You appear to have two sources: some are DVD made from VHS tapes, and then there are some MP4 from some other source? If you have DVD and what you want to do is, say, rearrange or remove some scenes, or make new menus, etc., you don't re-encode for that. What is your final goal? Do you want to reorganize and burn new versions of the DVDs? Do you want to edit/join the MP4's into another MP4 movie? Are you trying to merge DVD and MP4 source together?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So your DVD player also plays MP4 files that haven't been converted
    Let me explain from the beginning regarding the MP4s.

The MP4s were clips I downloaded from my Toshiba camcorder to the computer. There were several, separate clips.

I then put each MP4 clip into a free program called Freemake Video Converter. With this program you can convert to any of the main files. I did not convert to anything the first time just as an experiment and just burnt the files to a DVD including a menu. The DVD burnt successfully and the picture was really good on my DVD player but the sound was out of sync. I only have a basic, nothing special DVD player.

The second time I tried it, I put all the MP4 files into Freemake Video Converter as I did the first time, only this time I did convert to MPEG first. Once converted to MPEG, I then burnt to a DVD. This time the picture was not as good but the sound was in sync and it was playable but still relatively grainy.

You Really Did Convert that MP4 to a DVD? Why would the audio of an untouched MP4 all of a sudden wind up out of synch? You're not being very clear.
    I don't know the answer to your question that's why I'm in here asking. I don't know why the MP4 became out of sync but it did. In explaining above, I cannot be any clearer than that.

I've already suggested using AVSToDVD to convert the MP4 to a DVD followed by DVD Styler to create some menus for both videos. No guarantees, though.
    I'm in the throes of downloading AVStoDVD but I have a question on this. It is asking me what components to install and I don't have a clue which ones to select. The choices are:

AVStoDVD package. (This one is already checked).
    AviSynth 2.5.8 (This one is not checked).
    ffdshow 1.2 .4422.0 32 bit (This one is already checked).
    Haali Media Splitter 1.11.96.14 (This one is already checked).
    ActiveX Controls (This one is not checked).

So do I need all of those checked or not and which ones do I need?

I know if you already have a DVD it can be told not to reencode, but only create its basic menus. I have no idea how it handles 2 videos, one of which needs to be converted. You might try asking in the dedicated AVS2DVD thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?highlight=avstodvd
    I might just do that as some of the reviews regarding AVStoDVD are very positive.

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True. Everyone in this forum was new to this at one time, and most of us are still learning. But IMO you've started along the wrong track for getting what you want. Others have suggested something better. Recording VHS directly to DVD is usually lower quality to begin with, but it's manageable if not too badly damaged. But re-encoding them again.....I'd say you don't know what "encoding" means. You seem to think it's like ZIP or RAR, which it most definitely is not. Re-encoding loses quality. Re-encoding again loses more.
    The VHS tapes that were professionally put on DVDs for me are pretty good quality considering where they came from. I was not expecting HD quality from the VHS tape but the picture was much better than what I envisaged.

What was wrong with the original DVD or the original source that you didn't like?
    If you mean by the original source the DVDs that I had the VHS tapes put onto, there was nothing wrong with them as I said above but I had to author and edit them to separate the clips I wanted so I could then put them onto a new blank DVD with the clips that I chose. I also wanted to add menus to the separate clips I chose. That is where Windows DVD Maker came in as I mentioned in my earlier posts.

Converted DVD to MPEG using what? DVD is already MPEG. And you don't really "convert" to MPEG, you re-encode to MPEG unless you mean you just ripped (copied) VOB to your computer and called it MPEG.
    What I meant was I converted the MP4 files first to MPEG as was suggested by another poster in this thread and then burnt them to DVD. The VOB files that were made by the DVD from the VHS tapes I had, are you saying that I don't need to convert these at all? I was advised by one poster to convert these to WMV files first before then putting them into Windows DVD Maker for the menu and then burning. I have since been told in this thread that I should not use these type of files so we are now back to the beginning of my first post. If I tried to put the edited VOB files in Windows DVD Maker without converting them, then I was being told that they did not fit by DVD Maker which was the problem from the very beginning. Do you understand now?

Yes. You can back up a bit and explain what you're working with and, then, stop doing almost everything you've done so far. You appear to have two sources: some are DVD made from VHS tapes, and then there are some MP4 from some other source?
    I've explained above and in previous posts what programs I was working with. Yes, some of my home-made videos were put on to DVDs and I managed to edit some of them using DVD shrink the first time so they showed up on my computer as VOB files. Yes, I also have a Toshiba camcorder that I have been using for more recent movies and when put onto my computer, they come out as MP4 files. Does that make it clearer for you?

If you have DVD and what you want to do is, say, rearrange or remove some scenes, or make new menus, etc., you don't re-encode for that.
    I have already rearranged and removed some scenes as you put it and saved them separately as VOB files. At first, I did not re-encode them, I put the clips that I chopped up and edited and all I did was put them in Windows DVD Maker to add a menu and some music. When I tried this, I was being told by Windows DVD Maker that they would not fit. So that's when I seeked advice and was advised by somebody else in this forum or it may be another forum to convert them to WMV files first and then put them into Windows DVD Maker. I tried it this way and it worked as I converted to WMV using Freemake Video Converter. The only problem was that the DVD I burnt doing it this way came out grainy and oversaturated and now we are back to square one from my original post.

What is your final goal? Do you want to reorganize and burn new versions of the DVDs?
    Yes!

Do you want to edit/join the MP4's into another MP4 movie? Are you trying to merge DVD and MP4 source together?
    Yes to all!

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Makes a little more sense. So, if the end product is to be standard DVD, then MPEG2 would be the common denominator. Because standard DVD is already MPEG2 (which are named "VOB" on the DVD disc), you can transfer them to your computer without re-encoding. Don't shrink them, don't change their size, just transfer them from VOB to MPEG. There are plenty of free tools that can do that for you without damage. I don't use those tools (I have TMPGenc products for VOB->MPEG import), but other members can chime in with plenty of good suggestions there.

You can select and cut and join scenes with free MPEG2 smart-rendering editors. Again, I use TMPGenc for that, but freebies will be suggested. I believe VideoReDo can do that, but I might be not be totally corrected on that, I last used it a long time ago. So you will have all of your MPEG's saved and selected as MPEG without re-encoding.

As for MP4. MP4 is a container that can accommodate many encoders, but the tool suggested for converting them to MPEG2 has already been suggested (if they aren't MPEG2 already; MP4 can contain MPEG2 video, plus several other formats). So MP4 then becomes MPEG2.

Now use a smart-rendering editor to join the segments you want. 90 minutes to 2 hours is about all you should expect to put on a DVD disc with decent quality. If you want more on a disc, you can double that by using DVD+R dual layer discs. You'll find that dual-layer is used everywhere for retail DVD, so there's nothing unusual about it. For single layer or dual layer, use Verbatim discs that are labeled with "AZO" on the container, not the cheap stuff.

Once you have an assembled MPEG movie, you can use free authoring programs to create menus and chapters. Note that freebies aren't all that fancy, but the better ones don't screw up your hard work by re-encoding. Authoring and menu creation are not encoding steps, they're just renaming, indexing, and programming (the authoring app does the programming for you). For burning discs use the free ImgBurn package, which is mighty good and reliable and easy to learn.

So you would have your DVD's with a minimum of rendering and re-encoding. There should be no sync problems and any quality loss you might see with decent smart renderers would be difficult if not impossible to detect. I've performed all of these tasks from beginning to end with TMPGenc software, which is not free. Readers here can fill in the blanks when it comes to free tools, which I haven't used in a long time but have seen recommended many times in this forum.

To fill you in on DVD encoding and file structure, you might want to consult this forum page: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech . With any of these editors, do not deinterlace if the source is already interlaced. Most standard PAL and NTSC DVD's are either interlaced or telecined ("pulldown"). Those that are purely progressive have been made that way for specific reasons.

Good luck. If I omitted anything, I'm certain other members will tan my hide for it and post corrections.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    I did not convert to anything the first time just as an experiment and just burnt the files to a DVD including a menu. The DVD burnt successfully and the picture was really good on my DVD player but the sound was out of sync. I only have a basic, nothing special DVD player.
    Then of course you converted because your plain vanilla DVD player can't and won't play MP4s. Freemake Video Converter converted to DVD video and audio and made a rudimentary menu and authored it.

For AVSToDVD, you need all of the checked components.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for your advice and insight.

Once I have downloaded AVSToDVD & DVD Styler (as per one of your suggestions) would it be possible for you to give me step-by-step instructions on how to go about making the DVD including editing with these programs for:

1. VOB files
    2. MP4 files

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a partial answer, at least. Because the VOB files on a standard DVD are really MPEG2 in disguise, you don't need AVSTODVD to transfer them to a PC. All you need is a tool to extract video from the DVD and reorganize it into MPEG without re-encoding. One tool would be VOB2MPG. Has extra features such as allowing you to transfer only selected segments.

AVSToDVD would give you MP4 -> DVD-compliant MPEG by properly re-encoding various MP4 input to MPEG (uses the very good HCenc MPEG encoder).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a partial answer, at least. Because the VOB files on a standard DVD are really MPEG2 in disguise, you don't need AVSTODVD to transfer them to a PC. All you need is a tool to extract video from the DVD and reorganize it into MPEG without re-encoding. One tool would be VOB2MPG. Has extra features such as allowing you to transfer only selected segments.

AVSToDVD would give you MP4 -> DVD-compliant MPEG by properly re-encoding various MP4 input to MPEG (uses the very good HCenc MPEG encoder).
    Okay, I have now downloaded AVSToDVD, DVD Styler & VOB2MPG. Some came with malware but I have now ridden my computer of that.

You are saying, the segments I have cut Out (edited) from my original DVD that contains the VOB files or MPEG files in disguise as you say, I simply put these into VOB2MPG and that won't re-encode them. Now how do I add a menu to this and how do I add them to the MP4 files?

As I understand it you are also saying, the MP4 files have to go through AVSToDVD to convert them to Mpeg. Once they are all MPEG compliant, are you saying I can then put all of them together and burn them as a DVD? How do I add a menu to this and music?

I still could do with a step-by-step instructional guide from anyone please so that I get this right and know in the future what to do?

Regarding editing and cutting up the original VOB files, I prefer to do this with Remake Video Converter as I have got used to doing it with this now. This is fine is it not and then I can do any converting afterwards?

Thanks

HB
    Last edited by Heathsideboy; 9th Aug 2013 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    ...would it be possible for you to give me step-by-step instructions on how to go about making the DVD including editing...
    No, as I use neither of them. I suggested them because they both have good reputations around here. DVD Styler will be useful as you can import program streams (VOBs, MPGs) where most authoring programs require demuxed, separated, audio and video. There's a good guide here:

http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=55\

As for editing, neither AVSToDVD nor DVDStyler are editors. You should do the editing before importing into an authoring program. I believe this is the first we've been told that you're doing something besides using the entire DVD. Anyway, something like MPEG2Cut2 can cut out the pieces you don't want and make a single MPG of the rest if you aren't using something else already to do the editing. Just be careful not to use anything that's going to reencode your video.

I might recommend first editing the DVD using MPEG2Cut2, cutting out what you don't want. Then convert the MP4 into DVD with AVSToDVD, making it plus the edited DVD (plus menus, which don't have to take up much space at all) total up to less than the 4.37GB that a DVD5 holds. Then you'll have a big VOB (or several) out of AVSToDVD as well as a single edited MPG from using MPEG2Cut. Follow the DVD Styler guide for making the DVD from those two pieces. I expect you'll have two different titles with chapters for each. You can make menus as simple or as elaborate as your skills allow. But there are a number of ways to do these things.

Regarding editing and cutting up the original VOB files, I prefer to do this with Remake Video Converter ...
    It reencodes. You don't want that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Manono,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. It still sounds like computer physics to me but at least you have set it out in the order that I think I understand. I shall give it a go as I have all the programmes now downloaded. If I get stuck in any way, I shall let you know and if I am successful, I shall also let you know and be proud of that fact!

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the AVStoDVD menu, what output should I choose to convert MP4 to MPEG2?

The list contains:

Elementary MPEG Streams
    Muxed MPEG File
    DVD Folder Structure (this one is checked)
    ISO UDF Image
    Burn DVD

Also, on the Advanced Project Settings, there are four small boxes and two of them are already checked. The two that are not checked are;

'Edit Encorder Command Parameters at Runtime'
    'Run Title AvSynth FrameServing check at runtime.'

Do I need to check any of these?

The two boxes that are already checked are;

'Delete temporary DVD asset files'
    'Delete AVStoDVD working files'

Are there any other settings I need to set first before burning? Do I add the menu using this software or DVD styler?

Thanks

HB
    Last edited by Heathsideboy; 10th Aug 2013 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post

Are there any other settings I need to set first before burning?
    Like I said, I've never used it so I don't know. However, it shouldn't take long to do a test encode and check the results. Since you'll be using DVD Styler on the results I think I'd make a 'Muxed MPEG File'. You want to make darned sure, though, that it's DVD compliant (720x576, 25fps, max bitrate within the limit, if for PAL).

Do I add the menu using this software or DVD styler?
    You're only converting the MP4 so a menu just for the DVD you want to make from it won't do you much good. You want a menu that includes both videos and I'd wait to do that in DVD Styler.

I'd leave the other boxes you asked about alone (at their default settings).

Any AVSToDVD-specific questions can be answered more authoritatively in the AVSToDVD thread to which I linked earlier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is telling me I'm getting errors and the files that AVStoDVD do produce, have got no sound.

I guess you're right, I am going to have to ask how to do it properly in the dedicated forums. Like most people, I'll probably ask all the same questions for a beginner

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  24. When you post be sure to include the log so you don't get asked for it and thus delay the response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried something. Using AVStoDVD, for the Output, I tried ISO UDF Image instead of Muxed MPEG File. When it had finished en-coding all the MP4 files, I had one main file in my Video Library.

When I opened up the main file, there were two more files. One was empty and was named 'AUDIO_TS' and the other was named 'Video_TS.' When I opened up the 'Video_TS.' Folder, there were all my separate, converted files from each chapter I put in when they were MP4's. They were now showing in file types of 'Video_TS.BUP,' 'Video_TS.IFO' & 'VTS_01_VOB.' All of them were plain white files except the 'VTS_01_VOB' files that had a film icon and a musical note icon on them. Each one of these I clicked on, played I presume the converted MP4 file (with sound). So can these files now be put in DVD Styler to add a menu. Do I put all of the files in? How do I join all the clips together in a seamless transition? Once the menu is added, can I then burn them to a DVD and they will not be re-encoded and of better quality than my original efforts?

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  26. An ISO is useless to you (and to DVD Styler, unless it takes ISO input which I doubt). If you can convert the ISO back to IFO, BUP, and VOB files, then you can use the VOBs converted from MP4 in DVD Styler.

Since they're DVD compliant, they won't be reencoded by DVD Styler. Your finished and combined DVD should have the same quality videos as they are currently (which I assume is better than your original efforts). Making progress.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, I selected the output as 'ISO UDF Image' but for some reason they have all come out as the files I explained in my previous post. They have all been converted into 'VOB' & their related files I mentioned in my previous post. These, I assume, are now DVD compliant. So my questions now are;

1. What files do I need to put into DVD Styler? Is it only the 'VOB' files that I need to put in or do I need to put in their related files as well, by this I mean the 'Video_TS.BUP,' & 'Video_TS.IFO' files (the plain white files)?

2. How do I join the clips together to make one long movie without any gaps in between each clip?

3. Once the menu is added, can I then review the film before I burn it to a DVD disc?

4. Once I'm satisfied with the film, can I then burn a DVD using DVD Styler or should I burn it with another program?

5. What aspect ratio should I use?

Thanks

HB
    Last edited by Heathsideboy; 12th Aug 2013 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
  28. 1. DVD Styler takes VOB input. It doesn't need the IFOs or BUPs.
    2. You should have joined them together either before converting to DVD or in the process (don't know if it's possible to make chapters rather than different titles of separate clips when using AVSToDVD). Someone more familiar with AVSToDVD might be able to give better information. Or ask in the dedicated AVSToDVD thread. You might use VOB2MPEG (or VobMerge) on them to create a single large MPEG file, and then feed the MPEG into DVD Styler.
    3. Yes, of course. Just don't have it burn the DVD. Check it thoroughly after the DVD is made and then burn it yourself using ImgBurn.
    4. I don't know if it has a burning program as part of the authoring program, although I doubt it does. The sister program I use, DVDAuthorGUI, doesn't have a burning program associated with it. It's easy to burn yourself with ImgBurn.
    5. Aspect? For what? The menus? Whatever you like, usually the same as the main video. The VOB files? They already had their (display) aspect ratio set when you encoded them. The authoring program should create IFOs the same as the video. If it asks you to choose one, make sure it's the same as the VOBs themselves (4:3 or 16:9).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why use AVStoDVD to make an ISO compilation? Doing so puts your MP4's back where you started -- with a DVD\VOB file structure. AVStoDVD can save your MP4's as MPEG2 without going back to the VOB route.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote