VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Are there are any current UK models that can be made multi region using modified firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks, I already have a chipped Pioneer BDP-150. I need a player for the spare room! I thought I may be able to get a basic model player and install custom region free firmware!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newgen2005 View Post

Thanks, I already have a chipped Pioneer BDP-150. I need a player for the spare room! I thought I may be able to get a basic model player and install custom region free firmware!
    Nope. The ONLY player in the world that I ever heard of that being possible on was a model that Insignia used to sell in the USA and Canada. It was possible to downgrade the firmware to a version region free for DVD and BD playback (I have done this and can personally verify it really works) but Hollywood made them release a newer firmware that along with a much needed compatibility fix for LTH BD-R discs completely removed region free mode, so you can either run the player on the old firmware and be region free and not able to play LTH discs or play LTH discs on the newer firmware and give up the region free capability.

The very few BD players that can be made region free either have a code you can enter to make them region free for DVD playback or they actually require hardware modifications to be region free for DVD and BD both. The Insignia is the only player I know of that out of the box was able to made region free for DVD and BD by just changing the firmware, but that firmware was officially provided by the company as earlier models got shipped with it from the factory. This wasn't anything some elite hacker came up with on his own.

Just so you know for the future, Sony and Samsung make the most difficult to unlock players in the world.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=newgen2005;2258351]
    Originally Posted by fatbloke88 View Post
    Thanks, I already have a chipped Pioneer BDP-150. I need a player for the spare room! I thought I may be able to get a basic model player and install custom region free firmware!
    There is a site that specializes in just this called bluraymods.com. They used to have kits for Panasonics and others (if you are so wont to remove reqion-coding yourself).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote