VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I am trying to backup this tv show I recently bought but there are some discs I can't rip to my HDD, no matter what.
    I've tried any method I know but there's no way.
    Among the others, RipIt4Me says there are "malformed VTS" and gets stuck, DVDShrink gives the "redundancy" error (or something like that) and gets stuck, DVDFab says they are BDs and of course they are not since they play in the DVD drive.
    Any idea?
    Is there some strange protection system involved or they are messed up discs?
    Last edited by Instant Martian; 2nd Aug 2013 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    DVDFab says they are BDs
    I'd love to see screenshot of that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi hech54,
    I was going to post the screencap you asked for but a strange thing happened.
    This time DVDFab (apparently) managed to rip the discs. The only difference is I was online this time so I have to assume DVDFab needs Internet to work with some particular discs.
    It is true that I will find out if these rips actually work only when I burn and watch them on the stand-alone player, I loaded them into DVDShrink successfully but I don't know if this means something.
    But there's another thing now I don't get: the trial "countdown" of DVDFab is now... counting.
    Doesn't the decrypter belong to the free portion of the software?
    I copied the entire discs on my HDD, and I thought this was the "HD Decrypter" function but the trial for "DVD Copy" has been activated instead.
    What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I'm mistaken, DVDFab stopped being "free" a long time ago. So if you are using a "Free" version of the app, it is several versions old. Which could account for your initial troubles.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, DVDFab stopped being "free" a long time ago. So if you are using a "Free" version of the app, it is several versions old. Which could account for your initial troubles.
    The ripping function of DVDFab is still free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unless they lie on their site it's supposed to still be free.
    DVDFab HD Decrypter is a cost-free and simplified version of DVDFab DVD Copy and DVDFab Blu-ray Copy
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is that when I have tried to use DVDFab in the past year I have not ever been able to get this supposedly "free" version to last more than 30 days. And despite mentioning this maybe 10 times or more here, NOBODY has yet to provide any instructions on how you can supposedly install DVDFab's free ripper and get it to continue to work for free forever. I'm certainly willing to admit that this could be user error on my part, but others have reported this same issue, so I remain skeptical that unless you installed it years ago when it really and truly was free that you can do that any more.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I used the last version of DVDFab (not DVDFab HD Decrypter) and, as far as I see on their website, the decrypting function should be free.
    I'll report if it keeps going when the trial period expires.
    But still, I don't get why a disc is copied successfully only if one is connected to the Web.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

But still, I don't get why a disc is copied successfully only if one is connected to the Web.
    Because the programmer who wrote the source-code wants things to happen in that way
    Quote Quote  
  10. And the reason would be?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And the reason would be?
    Usually this type of thing is used as an anti-piracy measure to prevent the program itself from being copied and used by people who didn't pay for it. I'm not guaranteeing you that's the case here as I've never heard of DVDFab requiring internet to work, but I have heard of other programs that behave that way so I point it out as a possibility. Given how DVDFab has been making it hard for people to really and truly use any of their products for free beyond the trial period, it could be the new way it works now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That's exactly my point.
    It makes sense only for payware, not freeware (which DVDFab (or at least parts of it) supposedly is).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    That's exactly my point.
    It makes sense only for payware, not freeware (which DVDFab (or at least parts of it) supposedly is).
    Since parts of the program aren't free, they need to check if you have a license before enabling those features.

In any case, any software is going to do whatever it want's for whatever reasons. If you want to know what those reasons are you'll have to ask the authors rather than random people on the internet.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Aug 2013 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not asking to random people on the Internet, I'm asking to people on a forum called VideoHelp.
    I wasn't even asking actually, just wondering about a thing that doesn't make any sense to me.
    Anyway, thank you for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    I'm not asking to random people on the Internet, I'm asking to people on a forum called VideoHelp.
    You're question had nothing to do with video. So you are asking random people.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ok man, whatever you want.
    Quote Quote