VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In short: No matter how many times I install a H264/AVC VFW codec, Virtualdub keeps giving me the "cannot find decoder for H264" error.

Hello, I am new to the world of video editing, so please excuse me if my terminology is wrong

All I want to do is split video files. I have downloaded a few AVI and MP4 videos and wish to cut out segments (commercials) and save the pieces as separate files. While I have been using mainly AviDemux for this, every now and then AviDemux doesn't work. (I cannot scroll the seek bar, or sometimes it will lose a significant part of ending frames).

As a result, I am trying to use Virtualdub for these troublesome files. I have installed/uninstalled the x264vfw codec multiple times, but every time I try to open the AVI with VDub I still get the same "cannot find decoder" error. x264 also does not show up in the list under "Video--> Compression". I also tried ffdshow, and even when I set the H264/AVC to libavcodec, the error remains.

My OS is 64 Bit Windows 8 but my Virtualdubs, ffdshow and x264VFW are all the 32 bit type. The videos play fine with VLC, so I know the files aren't corrupted.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot?

Thank you,
    Ichigofan
    Last edited by ichigofan; 31st Jul 2013 at 21:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are multiple H264/X264/AVC codecs and they do not ALL install correctly or smoothly. Always reboot after trying and see if it is in the compressions to be sure. These are some of the ones I tried:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_16 Jul. 31 21.12.jpg
Views:	9820
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	19149

I finally got a new computer and rather than go thru the hassle again, I installed my favorite codec pack with FFDSHOW and its own X264 VFW decoder and it works fine. Since codec packs are considered terrible, I won't recommend that but there is a post by Brooke Holloway the shows an older version of FFDshow that contains a lot of codecs encoders and decoders.

Reposted from Brooke Holloway https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356824-ffdshow-virtualdub-problem?p=2248905#post2248905
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Budman. Can I ask a quick question? Is there an easy way to "clean out" codecs without reformatting my OS?

I had installed a few codec packs back when I didn't realize it was a bad idea, especially if installing multiple ones. I'd like a clean slate before trying again, but reinstalling windows is not a feasible option for me at this time. (Side note, I'm going back to Win7 if I can. I don't like 8 at all!)

I'll try to cycle through different x264's, it'd be nice to know if I can uninstall the bad ones cleanly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most, but not all uninstall "for all practical purposes". I say this because some may still reside in their folders or be listed in the registry but they should not interfere with the priority of newly installed ones. Actually removing troublesome ones that do not uninstall is a little complicated and shouldn't be undertaken unless you are not afraid to hack and slash your OS and I do NOT recommend it for most.

The packs, especially if multiples may indeed be your problem. I'd just uninstall the ones you can and then see where you are as far as Windows is concerned. Then carefully add what you need.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's my understanding that I've gotten rid of the packs, but with windows 8 and Metro it's so damn hard to tell haha. My kingdom for a start menu.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is there a way to check "codec priority"? I have a feeling that Virtualdub's looking at a high priority AVC decoder that's not working, which may explain why installs aren't helping.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I managed to solve my problem by uninstalling all my codecs and then installing Shark007's codec pack. It works now!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great. There is a program called installedcodec http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html that shows all your codecs, where they reside, if they are disabled, etc. that is very handy, even for disabling them.
    Quote Quote