VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey all,

This is our first post on the forums. We're excited to announce QVIVO, an unlimited media cloud service.

Simply drop your TV shows, music and movies onto the QVIVO app and have them automatically organized and synced with the cloud to stream on any device. You can pause your TV show on your Roku as you leave the home, resume it on your mobile on the bus to work, then finish it in your browser during your lunch break. QVIVO supports all media files and formats and does all the encoding in the cloud.

ReadWrite (http://readwr.it/fPu) recently called QVIVO the "Media Manager of the Future" and "the Cloud Media Service You've Been Waiting For" so give us a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Liam
    Quote Quote  
  2. Music is not protected, but you really need to have the physical legal disk if you rip to digital format.

But...DVD and BLU-RAY movies are different, they both have DRM protection. The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM.

So QVIVO may offer movie backup, but legally it must be a movie without original DRM protection, i.e. one of your own home movies made on your digital camera or camcorder.

I really don't know how places like NetFlix get around DRM to digitally stream DRM content, but they must have some deal where they recompense the copyright owners.

Why can't we store our DRM content digitally, whether on our own home storage device or on a cloud like QVIVO? I wish we could, given that we have legal physical copies.
    Not that I agree with the Motion Picture Association of America, but am I wrong to think or say it is illegal to digitize DRM content as a home user?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does QVIVO provide digital movie backup i.e. mp4, mkv, avi, etc. that have been ripped from protected DRM disks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @namitutonka

Your Reply #2 must be the biggest load of nonsense I have read on this forum. And I have read a lot of nonsense.

DVDs and Blu Rays do NOT have DRM. They have Copy Protection. Two totally different concepts.

And it is NOT illegal to copy/re-encode your self-owned media and play it from your own home storage device. It is illegal to share such re-encodes since that DOES violate the rights you have.

In fact your whole reply violates the forum rules since it hijacks the original thread.

Whether this cloud service allows you to store such media (since it is not the owner who is doing the encoding) I know not. And I am not about to find out either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Apologies. 'Tis always the season for kindness. It is usually always better if I simply listen to and observe threads. There is not a whole lot of sense in my head.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 'QVIVO is free, unlimited cloud media storage...', er, no it isn't.
    It's free for a limited ('unspecified', I should add here...) time.
    Seems to be a not-free opportunity for wasting an unfathomable amount of my life uploading gigabytes of information
    only to be hit with a bill (the amount of which is equally unspecified) to view my own goods. Thanks, but no thanks.
    This is a forum for people who can convert to practically any device under the sun.
    I don't mind fast-forwarding on my devices...it costs me nothing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please note: world is bigger now than U.S. and its digital right laws.
    Quote Quote