VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video that I recorded with my cam becouse its size is to big I convert it with vitualdub into H263 format and before checking the output I deleted the orignal video now when I tried to play the converted video its only showing black screen don't know what to do please help I didn't try output video before deleting the orignal video because at the time of conversion virtualdub is showing the output preview correctly please its very important video to me please
    Quote Quote  
  2. Quicktime Player handles h.263 well. (Nobody really uses h.263 anymore, why did you choose that?) Does it load back into Vdub?

Also, you don't want to hear this now, but really, NEVER NEVER NEVER delete a file, especially an "important" one until you've checked the output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try Intel's I263 codec. Virtualdub shows the H263 codec as being microsoft fourcc m263 msh263.drv

format: couldn't find compatible format.

EDIT: Got this from... http://www.jmcgowan.com/avicodecs.html ...If Intel I263 doesn't work then you might be SOL. It states that you can't encode avi with this codec...

H.263

H.263 is another international standard, based on the Block Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) and motion compensation. H.263 has a number of improvements, mostly in the area of motion compensation, over the earlier H.261 standard. It is targeted toward very low bitrate video compression.

Microsoft's NetShow 2.0 installs a Microsoft H.263 video codec. Microsoft H.263 uses the Four Character Code M263.

[drivers32] VIDC.M263=msh263.drv

in Windows 95.

The Microsoft H.263 video codec is one of several "keyed" codecs installed by NetShow. Others are Vivo H.263 and Duck's TrueMotion 2.0. These codecs will not encode video as AVI files, although they apparently will create Microsoft ASF files or provide compression for streaming video products such as Microsoft's NetMeeting videoconferencing. See the section on NetShow for more information on the NetShow video codecs.

Some versions of the msh263.drv driver will crash when trying to encode an AVI file from VidEdit or similar applications. Other versions of msh263.drv don't crash but give an "Unable to begin compression" message box.

Vivo Software Inc. markets streaming H.263 and G.723 audio for the Web under the brand name VivoActive. Vivo has its own file format called .VIV which can be embedded in Web pages. Vivo provides a player called VivoActive player and an authoring tool for creating .VIV files called VivoActive Producer.

Microsoft NetShow installs a "keyed" codec that identifies itself as Vivo H.263 Video Codec[32] which installs

[drivers32] VIDC.VIVO=IVVIDEO.DLL

in Windows 95. Vivo H.263 uses the four character code 'VIVO'.

The Vivo Software Web Site:

http://www.vivo.com/

Intel distributes an Intel "I263" H.263 video codec at there Web site as part of the NetCard product. This installs

[drivers32] VIDC.I263=C:\WINDOWS\I263_32.DLL VIDC.I420=C:\WINDOWS\I263_32.DLL

in Windows 95.

As of June 18, 1998, this codec could be found at:

http://support.intel.com/support/createshare/camerapack/CODINSTL.HTM

To get the Intel I263 video codec, download the codec installer CODINSTL.EXE from the Intel web page. CODINSTL.EXE installs I263_32.DRV, the I263 video codec, and other Intel video codecs.

Note that Intel, like Microsoft, seems to rearrange their Web site constantly.

Unlike the keyed Microsoft H.263 video codecs, this codec can be used to encode AVI's through Microsoft VidEdit 1.1 (and presumably other video editing products). How well this codec in fact implements the H.263 standard is not clear.

Shannon Communication Systems (SCS) has an H.263+ AVI codec and analysis tool available for download at their Web site:

http://www.shansys.com/

Telenor R&D of Norway distributes the source code for an H.263 encoder and decoder that will reportedly compile and run under Windows. This is a standalone application not a Video for Windows codec or ActiveMovie filter. See elsewhere in the AVI Overview for a link to the Telenor Web site.

A Xirlink H.263 Video Codec from Xirlink can be used to decode H.263 generated with Xirlink PC Cameras. Xirlink technology is licensed IBM for the IBM PC Camera and by other companies for other Universal Serial Bus (USB) PC cameras. Xirlink makes H.263 encoder chips in the cameras. The Microsoft Four Character Code (FOURCC) for the Xirlink H.263 Video Codec is X263.

http://www.xirlink.com/default.htm

I had to buy the VIVO codec that is mentioned way back in the day to watch VIVO videos and the video quality sucked.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 29th Jul 2013 at 18:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks let me try above method,
    I even can't play this video on any player if I able to play that its also good but not even virtualdub is playing the video correctly I can give video file information if that help anyone to understand the problem
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing I want to know how much there are chances that I lost the video and I can never view or recover the original video ?
    Quote Quote