VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys,

I'm currently on the look out for a Blu Ray player which does the following;
    - Plays 3D SBS x264 in mkv containers from an USB NTFS Harddrive

This is basically the only thing I need atm, ISO support would be a bonus but not required.
    Price is a factor.

Would I be correct in assuming the Pioneer BDP-150 would do the job?
    And I read something about a CFW which would enable 3D ISO Playback is that correct? If so how would one go around acquiring and installing the CFW?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tweakdog2; 26th Jul 2013 at 07:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    CFW? What's that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    CFW? What's that?
    Custom Firmware
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tweakdog2 View Post
    Hey Guys,

This is basically the only thing I need atm, ISO support would be a bonus but not required.
    Price is a factor.

And I read something about a CFW which would enable 3D ISO Playback is that correct? If so how would one go around acquiring and installing the CFW?

Thanks!
    I don't know anything about this topic from personal experience, but typing "Pioneer BDP-150 custom firmware" into Google's search box found this post with instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390589/the-pioneer-bdp-62fd-150-450-2012-blu-ray-player-thr...#post_22949497

However one participant in the thread warns that if you want to flash your BDP-150 with custom firmware it has to have firmware version v1.02 installed. If v1.05 is installed, it will not allow flashing older firmware nor custom firmware. I'm not willing to read through the entire thread for you to find out if there is a workaround. Read it yourself if you want to find out if there is a way to flash a BDP-150 with the wrong manufacturer firmware installed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hey Guys,

Price is a factor.

Thanks!
    I don't know anything about this topic from personal experience, but typing "Pioneer BDP-150 custom firmware" into Google's search box found this post with instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390589/the-pioneer-bdp-62fd-150-450-2012-blu-ray-player-thr...#post_22949497

However one participant in the thread warns that if you want to flash your BDP-150 with custom firmware it has to have firmware version v1.02 installed. If v1.05 is installed, it will not allow flashing older firmware nor custom firmware. I'm not willing to read through the entire thread for you to find out if there is a workaround. Read it yourself if you want to find out if there is a way to flash a BDP-150 with the wrong manufacturer firmware installed.
    Yep. I stumbled upon that thread as well, interesting stuff, and already have the CFW files! Thanks though.

My most important question though still remains, will it play 3D SBS x264 in mkv containers from an USB NTFS Harddrive?
    Can't really seem to find a clearcut answer anywhere, so would like an answer from an owner if possible
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. I stumbled upon that thread as well, interesting stuff, and already have the CFW files! Thanks though.

My most important question though still remains, will it play 3D SBS x264 in mkv containers from an USB NTFS Harddrive?
    Can't really seem to find a clearcut answer anywhere, so would like an answer from an owner if possible
    You could always try joining AVSforum and posting your questions in the thread I linked to. The thread is still active and some posters are BDP-150 owners.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

You could always try joining AVSforum and posting your questions in the thread I linked to. The thread is still active and some posters are BDP-150 owners.
    Good idea, I'll try that
    But I'll still keep an eye on this thread, in case someone can answer my question.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    CFW? What's that?
    Custom Firmware
    Ah. It's an AKOTU (Acronym Known Only To You). Sorry man, but it is. I have no intention of getting into an argument with you over this, so I will politely suggest that perhaps in the future you should avoid using that acronym.

I suppose anything is possible, but typically hacked firmware is more limited in function (ie. it fixes subtitle issues) than to offer functionality the player doesn't have. My limited experience is that 3D BluRay players should be able to play SBS MKV files as you wish, but I have no personal experience with this particular player to confirm it. NTFS via USB should also be OK. You may be waiting a long time to get someone here to say "I know for sure it works because I've seen it myself" on this model. Pioneer is not as popular as it was in the past. I don't know about ISO support though, but if I had to guess I'd think it more likely to not be supported, but I could be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I just buy this product bdp-150 but even i have connected with my router that it has dhcp enabled it doesn't seem to has Internet.
    A cable i connect is just like i was not connected the lan cable at all.

I have try the same cable at the same router at the same port to tv, media player and laptop and work fine but at bdp-150 doesn't.

And when i go to network connection test it bring me failed.

Any suggestions.

It has the official firmware 1.05.

Even when i choose to make a downgrade from 1.05 to custom firmware doesn't regonise the file firmware "BDP-150_SP.bin" even at fat32 hard disk.

Or even i try to install the latest official firmware 1.08 from the official pioneer site still doesn't regonise the firmware and bring me the error message "download file data corruption" or "no valid update file is found".

Please HELP ME.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

I have Pioneer BDP-450K with FW: 5.10 PRO 2013.10.01 (registered)
    It can read external subtitles for any Blu-ray disc.
    sub.srt from memory stick - it works.

Problem is that I can't find any Charset/Codepage to display them correctly.
    Whatever I chose here (Initial Settings - Playback - Subtitle Charset) it will still
    instead "Estonian letters" Õ õ Ä ä Ö ö Ü ü Š š Ž ž display Chinese characters.

How to solve it?
    Re-save of sub.srt file in PC to UTF-8 changes nothing (tested).
    Estonian correct codepage is ISO 8859-15 (not listed, any 8859, in Pioneer).
    Estonian Windows CP is 1252 (It is listed, when active then still Chinese characters in screen).

Any ideas or help?

Lauri from Estonia
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I solved the Subtitle problem myself. This text here can be translated into any language nd used as help.

First half
    A) sub.srt shall be recorded as Unicode. In Windows Notepad shall be chosen "Unicode" which in reality means "UTF-16 little endian" (with BOM).
    B) In BDP playback settings (with disc ejected) the subtitle charset shall also be UTF16 little endian (UTF16LE)
    as result the other subtitles appeared without any Chinese characters, but unfortunately the internal font will not correctly display umlaut letters, so ä -> a, ö -> o, ü -> u etc.

So I started second half as instructed here: http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=60:3656:50#50
    adding to USB JBDIY bolder with ttf font and sub.conf
    The proposed font ST Caiyun or STCAIYUN.TTF supports only Chinese, Korean, Russian etc. but has only limited support for Latin/English.
    All these: Õ õ Ä ä Ö ö Ü ü Š š Ž ž characters are missing from it.
    I found similar font with full umlaut support: Franklin Gothic Demi Cond Regular or FRADMCN.TTF
    So I replaced original STCAIYUN.TTF with FRADMCN.TTF
    I also edited the contents of sub.conf (this file shall be also recorded as "UTF-16 little endian" (with BOM).
    Now the contents of it are as following:
    ###

# *** font longitudinal position (not changed)
    sub_pos=0

# *** Font size, with a maximum of 102 (was 60)
    sub_size=40

# *** Font file name from the network to download or computer C:\Windows\Fonts\directory TTF fonts,
    # *** and then fill in the corresponding font name below "=" sign on the right. (was STCAIYUN.TTF)
    sub_font=FRADMCN.TTF

# *** Font foreground color, from http://www.bdsky.hk/cs/RGBtable.html or other means to take reference color values ,
    # *** and then fill in the color value of #xxxxxx below "=" symbol on the right (this is and was black border)
    sub_Bcolor=#000000

# *** Subtitles background color, from http://www.bdsky.hk/cs/RGBtable.html or other means to take reference color values ,
    # *** and then fill in the color value of #xxxxxx below "=" symbol on the right (now it is white, was deep sea blue #00BFFF )
    sub_Fcolor=#FFFFFF

# *** 3D subtitle depth of field, the left and right sides Subtitles deviation (was 5)
    sub_3Ddeep=4

# *** Subtitles time cross-sectional unit of milliseconds, such as 1000 represents 1 second, 1500 for 1.5 seconds (not changed)
    sub_timestamp=0

# *** Subtitle encoding gbk - Simplified Chinese (mainland users),
    # *** big5 - Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan users) - now changed to utf16le (Unicode)
    sub_char_encode=utf16le

###

With best regards

Lauri
    Quote Quote