VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Asked a simple question about this on doom9 and surprised I haven't received a response yet: Setting up MEncoder to do deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  2. probably since it's kind of unclear where your problem is,... (btw. I posted over at doom9)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is your original video interlaced? How do you know? Is it a DVD sourced from a film original? If so, it's probably not interlaced. Does it use some form of pulldown for playback? Why are you deinterlacing (don't swallow that "better quality" nonsense). Is your DVD one of those horrible poorly-processed issues with field-blend or other field/frame structure issues?

Readers at doom9 likely bypassed your post because, like most members here, they would be wasting your time and theirs (and ours) trying to make wild guesses about the nature of your source video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's a film transfer and you can see teeth and it looks better when it's deinterlaced. And I want to make a finalized deinterlaced copy.
    Last edited by u222683; 7th Jul 2013 at 04:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Then, let's try again. I assume you're working with a standard SD DVD that was made from a Hollywood movie original. If that's the case, your video is probably not interlaced. It's more likely progressive with pulldown or telecine applied.

You are of course aware that interlaced/telecined video shows up on a computer with the usual combing effects, unless you use a media player that deinterlaces or properly processes pulldown/telecine. Otherwise, DVD players and TV's will deinterlace, etc., on playback. If you see those combing/interlace effects on your TV, you need a better TV. If what you want is a video to load to uTube, etc., you don't deinterlace progressive/telecined video. You remove the telecine or pulldown.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Then, let's try again. I assume you're working with a standard SD DVD that was made from a Hollywood movie original.
    No, an amateur transfer of a reel.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can I send it to you?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by u222683 View Post
    Can I send it to you?
    No, just make available a short 10-second sample, one with steady movement.

If the original source was a reel of film, blindly deinterlacing it is almost certainly the wrong thing to do.
    Quote Quote  
  9. looks like telecine and not interlacing to me,..
    Code:
     -ofps 23.976 -vf scale,format=i420,filmdint,scale,format=i420
    would be a typical way to ivtc content with mencoder

side note: alternatively to 'filmdint' you could also use one of the other methos to ivtc content:
    • pullup,softskip
    • decimate=2:1000:1600:.001 -ofps 24000/1001
    • yadif=3:1,mcdeint=0:1:10,framestep=2,filmdint=dint _thres=256
    • yadif=3:1,mcdeint=1:1:10,framestep=2,filmdint=dint _thres=256
    • yadif=3:1,mcdeint=2:1:10,framestep=2,filmdint=dint _thres=256
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you. As I stated, I can't figure out how to get set up with mencoder. If you look at the doom9 thread, you'll see that both frontends I tried don't seem to offer custiomized inputs. Do I have to use Linux?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I only see, that you mention SMPlayer there, which is a frontend for MPlayer,..
    mencoder is not mplayer.

Over at doom9 I posted a code sample which shows the general usage of mencoder and yadif for deinterlacing.
    Code:
    mencoder -dvd-device "H:\TestClips&Co\DVDs\TestDVD" dvd://1 -noskip -vf scale,format=i420,yadif=0,scale,format=i420 -mc 0 -noskip -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=4800:keyint=15:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf  -o "h:\test.mpg"
    if you replace the '-vf scale,format=i420,yadif=0,scale,format=i420' with in example '-ofps 23.976 -vf scale,format=i420,filmdint,scale,format=i420' instead of deinterlacing, ivtc is used,...

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  12. I also mentioned MeWiG, which has both an MPlayer option and an MEncoder option. And I wasn't able to see custom inputs for this application.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Then simply use another gui or use mencoder through the terminal (command line interface),...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Anywhere I can find instructions on how to use the command line for MEncoder?
    Quote Quote  
  15. It's been field-blended and should be unblended, if you want to do it properly. I think the correct framerate is 23.976fps, yes, but there are some things that just can't be done in Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The normal MPlayer documentation is probably a good starting place,..

It's been field-blended and should be unblended,...
    argh missed that

yes, but there are some things that just can't be done in Linux.
    he's using Windows,... (but if your point was that mencoder has no field matcher you are right)

So, I'm off for the night and leave the field to manono
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    he's using Windows,... (but if your point was that mencoder has no field matcher you are right)
    Oh, he's on Windows? I don't know mencoder but a quick look at the mencoder page convinced me it was for Linux only. A longer look now says it's for all three. In any event, if it can't handle this source properly it's time to learn some AviSynth and use a different encoder.

And this is a very good example of why questions about how to handle a source should always be accompanied with a sample from the source.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's been field-blended and should be unblended, if you want to do it properly. I think the correct framerate is 23.976fps, yes, but there are some things that just can't be done in Linux.
    Is field blending a form of interlacing? I noticed that one of the options for deinterlacing in VLC Media Player is "blend."
    Quote Quote  
  19. Field blending is like frame blending -- except it's done of a field basis. It's often used in frame rate conversions. When the duration of a frame spans the time between two source frames the frame becomes a blend of those two source frames.

Click image for larger version

Name:	conv.png
Views:	1605
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	18782

The horizontal axis represents time. The width of the frame indicates the duration of that frame. The first frame rate converted frame started at the same time as the source frame and didn't last as long. So it is not blended, it's just a copy of source frame 1. The second converted frame spanned part of the duration of frame 1 and part of frame 2. So it is a blend of frames 1 and 2. The third converted frame spanned only a portion of the time source frame 2 is displayed so it's just a copy of frame 2.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Jul 2013 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Do OP have to really deinterlace?
    After reading this post and inputs from other members, I was just playing around umplayer and mencoder got just out-of-the-box package which I can not got rid of it. I found mencoder does not offer full-fledge options plus avi muxer is little bit messy, may be a result of wrong compile.

u222683 can try something like mencoder -vf yadif=3:1,mcdeint=2:1:10 by maintaining exactly same fps as source. Yadif is mplayer native deinterlacer and ported else-where.
    Yadif parameters, if I remembered correctly.
    mode
    = 1 : double frame-rate (bob), temporal and spatial interlacing check.
    = 2 : skips spatial interlacing check.
    = 3 : double frame-rate (bob), skips spatial interlacing check.
    order
    = 0 : Bottom field first.
    = 1 : Top field first.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm confused. Should I use MEncoder of AVISynth (as manono is suggesting)? And does this unblending process involve reeconding?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by u222683 View Post
    I'm confused. Should I use MEncoder of AVISynth (as manono is suggesting)
    The only way to unblend anything is with an AviSynth script fed into any encoder that accepts AviSynth scripts. Apparently Mencoder isn't one of them. If that's too much and you can put up with the blending then just deinterlace it in Mencoder and waste bits and quality in keeping it at 29.97fps.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If the original source was a reel of film, blindly deinterlacing it is almost certainly the wrong thing to do.
    And does this unblending process involve reeconding?
    Yes, as does deinterlacing or any other kind of filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I want to go all the way. Any suggestions on how to learn this stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  24. There are some places that can help with getting started, among them the AviSynth site:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

Doom9 has an AviSynth Forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

And the most commonly used unblender is SRestore:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95924

If you have questions, ask.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Do you mind taking a look at this one as well? This sample is longer than it should be, I apologize for that. I just wanted to include the text at the beginning as well as multiple camera angles. See the "Download" button in the upper right corner.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=dfTuQ8KXTT8nqgheqW7jAU
    Quote Quote  
  26. Cool, the Velvet Underground with Nico.

What are we supposed to see? The source was film originally, I think. But the fields don't always line up properly so you see interlacing. I see this kind of thing all the time from film on PAL VHS tapes. I usually bob with QTGMC followed by removing every other frame with a SelectEven. Then I slow them back down to film speed (AssumeFPS(23.976)), and slow the audio to match.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What are we supposed to see? The source was film originally, I think. But the fields don't always line up properly so you see interlacing.
    Yeah, there's something wrong with the deck that recorded or played it. The two fields don't align properly (some kind of time base error). One field is tinged green and is sharper than the other too. QTGMC().SelectEven() was about the best I could get. Add GreyScale() if you think the green tinge wasn't intentional.

I also tried:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="BicubicResize", fwidth=720, fheight=576)
    But QTGMC() gave better results.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    yes, but there are some things that just can't be done in Linux.
    It won't necessarily help with this specific case, but some avisynth filters have been ported to ffmpeg, including field matching, decimation based on TIVTC algorithms . I suspect their counterpart is in mencoder (or will be shortly). But no deblending yet, and many things are still not possible compared to avisynth - but hey at least it's a start

https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#fieldmatch
    Quote Quote