VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm switching over to Deblock QED as DGDecodeNV doesn't have the CPU=6 parameter which does full strength deblocking. But I'm not sure what setting in Deblock QED will have the same effect? Ideally I would like it to only deblock the areas that need deblocking and to completely eliminate the blocks.

Or should I use the Deblock or Deblock QED function in McTemporalDenioise? I usually do the script below but from what I remember in this thread it was said that there was some sort of problem regarding my crops which meant I couldn't use the DeBlock function of McTemporalDenoise?

Code:
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="medium", interlaced=true) # Sharpening strength is 150

AssumeTFF() # or AssumeBFF() depending on the source
    QTGMC(Preset="Super Fast")
    SeparateFields() SelectEvery(4,0,3) Weave()
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 3rd Jul 2013 at 14:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't want the same effect. CPU=6 deblocks everything, whether it needs it or not. Deblock_QED deblocks only the blocky stuff. You don't want the same effect anyway as all deblocking softens the picture and often CPU=6 is like using an elephant gun on a flea. You want to deblock only as much as is necessary. I begin with the default settings which are often enough, and take it from there.

From the Deblock_QED page:

Designed to provide 8x8 deblocking sensitive to the amount of blocking in the source, compared to other deblockers which apply a uniform deblocking across every frame.
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Deblock_QED
    Quote Quote  
  3. deblock qed (like most deblockers) is for a progressive source

for an interlaced source (Didée's code):
    par=getparity()
    SeparateFields().PointResize(width,height)
    Deblock_QED(24,28,uv=3)
    AssumeFrameBased()
    SeparateFields()
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
    par ? AssumeTFF() : AssumeBFF()
    Weave()
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Or could I just do it like this (my video is interlaced)?

Code:
    AssumeTFF() 
      Deblock_QED(24,28,uv=3)
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 3rd Jul 2013 at 18:15.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry I missed a bit in my script, I corrected it. Would that work?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The corrected script would likely run without errors. Whether or not it gives the results you want is a different matter, you just have to run some vido thru it and see. In these case you don't need all those values in "24,28,uv=3". Those are the defaults anyway. Just typing DeBlock_QED() means the same thing.

Just waiting to see how long it takes for those missing periods to get you into trouble again.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm trying to use DGDecNV instead of DGIndex because DGIndex has a bug in it where when an encoding in a queue starts - at random it can encode at a slower FPS than what it should. DGDecNV encodes at about 1FPS slower but at least it's stable in that it doesn't have that bug. Unfortunately it doesn't support CPU=6 so I'm trying to find a good deblocker.

Here's a script I normally use:

Code:
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="medium", interlaced=true) # Sharpening strength is 150

AssumeTFF() 
    I was under the impression from this post to add the following before McTemporalDenoise however it's causing problems as though I encoded a TFF video as BFF.

Code:
    SeparateFields() .PointResize(width,height)  
     Deblock_qed() .AssumeFrameBased() 
    SeparateFields() .SelectEvery(4,0,3) .Weave()

How can I get this working?

What is the code needed for full strength deblocking and will this still do no deblocking on parts of the video that doesn't need it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use BlindPP that is part of DGDecode? All the same control you are used to, but you can still use your hardware decoder.
    http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/DGDecodeManual.html#BlindPP
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm talking about DGDecodeNV. I can already deblock in DGDecode.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I'm talking about DGDecodeNV. I can already deblock in DGDecode.
    doctorm gave a good suggestion. Use BlindPP in your script. You don't need to decode with DGDecode to use it.

DGSource("C:\Video.dgi")
    BlindPP(cpu=6, ipp=true)
    Last edited by Vidd; 19th Jul 2014 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK thanks. Didn't realize you could do that in DGDecodeNV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm confused. DGDecodeNV does not have BlindPP, I can't see that function in the user manual.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I'm confused. DGDecodeNV does not have BlindPP, I can't see that function in the user manual.
    BlindPP is part of dgdecode.dll

You do not have to decode with DGDecode to use BlindPP. It is a standalone filter. If you read the DGDecode documentation you will find that BlindPP can be used with any video source.

In your case, you will decode with DGDecodeNV and then call the BlindPP filter which is contained in dgdecode.dll.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK thanks. It's working. I have a 1080i source I'm converting to 720p with Avisynth. Normally the video comes out fine however when I add this as the last line I get dots all over the picture:

BlindPP(quant=2, cpu=6, ipp=false, moderate_h=20, moderate_v=40)

How can I get it working correctly?

Also when I try to add the default settings as folllows: BlindPP(quant=2, cpu=6, ipp=true, moderate_h=20, moderate_v=40) to the top of the script (when the video is still 1080i) I see this error message: Need mod 16 height.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I see this error message: Need mod 16 height.
    You could always add a temporary 8 rows of pixels across the top:

AddBorders(0,8,0,0)
    BlindPP(quant=2, cpu=6, ipp=true, moderate_h=20, moderate_v=40
    Crop(0,8,0,0)

If this thing works on 8x8 blocks, that shouldn't throw it off.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd also like to suggest that CPU=6 is probably overkill. I usually use CPU=2 and I almost never go over 4.
    5 and 6 bring in deringing filters that can over soften things your picture.

VideoFanatic, can you descripe the 'dots' (size, color, etc.)?
    Oh, and you probably should deblock BEFORE you resize or deinterlace. Give manono's script a go.
    Quote Quote