VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://labs.divx.com/

seek/scrub doesn't work, if you try and ff/rw the player will hang.

real time playback of 1080p hevc content is possible on an i5 with 4gb ram (according to the divx people).

just tested it out and it works as advertised with the full length tears of steel movie, 1080p with 10% cpu usage on an i7 3770k.

the 4k version was not playable (player would crash).

i haven't been able to get other hevc samples to play with this software.

they also promise that their hevc encoder will be available soon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there any consumer BD player which can support HEVC/H.265 12-bit video and 4:2:2/4:4:4 Chroma? Looking at market competition and BD player dump, it will take at least more than 4 years to take real shape. 50% approx.more compression efficiency is not a real issue here, may be good for internet media streaming. BD is still new technology in some part of the world. All BiG B's will definitely think twice to obsolete.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the blu-ray spec doesn't support h265 though i do remember reading somewhere that there was some discussion of a blu-ray+ that would support it.

as you say h265 has 2 really big uses:

1) streaming, it will allow companies to either stream existing quality video with less bandwidth or higher quality video with the same bandwidth.

2) this is the one that is really important to the average joe, it will allow us to backup video at higher quality with the same bit rate. consider all the people that ask how to "backup" a blu-ray to something like 6mb/s 1080p or 4mb/s 720p; if these bit rate are acceptable for these folks with h264, then with h265 they will be able to have a higher quality backup in the same file sizes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    people that ask how to "backup" a blu-ray to something like 6mb/s 1080p or 4mb/s 720p
    they will start how to back it up with 2Mbits, and here you go again .... , I'm sure anime guys will be the first ones ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    they will start how to back it up with 2Mbits, and here you go again .... , I'm sure anime guys will be the first ones ...
    the sad think is you're probably right, which would be a real shame as they would be missing the biggest selling point of using h265, namely the higher quality per bit rate possible with the new compression technology.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Personally i would not backup anything in a format that my BD player/Media Player can not play. My current backup system is proven and full-proof that one can see and hear every single rain-drop. I would rather not compromise my pleasure with greediness. In the mission to the Mars, I would prefer to stay on Jupiter and enjoy Moons.
    Last edited by enim; 3rd Jul 2013 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just wanted to post a few things i noticed these past couple of days testing divx latest tools..

i was testing the muxing method from the divx website using the customized mkvtoolnix they offered, but their player is buggy as they said. on small 60 to 300 frames it will play in the divx 9.1.2 player, but that is hardly enough footage to review quality aspects. and on larger number of frames the clips will not play at all. it just hangs on the first few frames. because of the system specs (below) i am only encoded 352x240 and 720x480 pixels. nothing higher than that.

system: amd 64 x2 dual, 2g ram, xp home

will not play a video (1797 frames, 24 fps) i patiently waited 4 1/2 hours to encode. no way i'm going to re-encode just to change one thing in hopes something will make it work in their player.

i also discovered that divx always phones home when i run their player. and they have an "divxupdate.exe" hook running in my taskmgr, sucking 50% cpu. and there is no updated software. my player still says 9.1.2 and as i type this message, the char's stuggle to, they jump or wabble. very frusting typing this post message. anyway. i do not like it when a firm hooks their apps to their website, especially like the way i described above--its too personal, this beancouting of theirs to see how often their tools are being used. i think i will wait until someone else comes up with tools that don't do this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. just wanted to post a few things i noticed these past couple of days testing divx latest tools..
    In past I have very bad experience with DiVX, I was a beta-tester but noticed virus/malware in their beta versions and free tools. I dumped DiVX a decade back, and moved on.
    divx always phones home
    May be they are interested in asking you "Does it really work?"
    Last edited by enim; 4th Jul 2013 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dumped DiVX a decade back, and moved on.
    divx always phones home

May be they are interested in asking you "Does it really work?"
    are you serious ? i'm talking about every time i load the dixv 9.1.2 player to play the h265 encoded video. and you can't open once and then consecutively open or drag/drop new clips--it hangs. you have to close it down completely and reopen. i only installed this player for the h265 until something better and less nonsense came out. i was also using their player to review the encode hevc videos because nothing else play open/play them. the TAppDecoder the jeeb was working on is borked. it does not mux the encoded video, it mux's out the original (large) hevc encoded bin/yuv file.
    the original captured .ts video was 111mb, and encoded to hevc @q18, resulted in 40mb once muxed into an .mkv file, still can't play it to review quality aspects.

also, to my surprise, the update file comes back, even after i killed it in taskmgr, even though i hadn't used the app since i rebooted. i keep closing it, and it keeps reopening it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. are you serious ?
    i also discovered that divx always phones home when i run their player.
    It was only you who discovered that divx always phones home, so discuss this matter with them when they ring you next time. Just for your information DiVX does not follow strict H263+ specs, where as XViD does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ty
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. i found out the problem. i was using an older version of mkvmerge and not using their updated version.

the video is now working in thier v9.1.2 player.

i will upload the ones i've encoded when i complete them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was trying to close a pesky application when all the sudden all my apps were closing down, including the one was still hevc encoding since 10am. i must have discovered by accident a key-sequence that initiated a shut-down. anyway, so the encoding stopped and i can't restart at the last knowned encoding in tappencoder. but i was thinking, that would make a feature to include, to continue encoding where left off. maybe the developer will see this and consider adding such a feature. anyway.

but what got me stumped, was the quality of the incomplete encode. this usualy encodes to 40mb, well, when i do them. but this encode was less than 5mb for 35 sec length. not bad, but the quality surprised me.

specs: hevc 11.0
    original file was 720x480, 1779 frames, 24p .yuv source vs (broken encode, 720x480, 872 frames, 24p)

can someone verify that i'm not blood shotted after spending the weekend on relentless hevc encoding and confirm that the quality/bitrate is poor/good/better/other and at what bitrate was this in ?

thank you.

edit: maybe i was mistaken and quality is horible. i will reboot and start over.
    Last edited by vhelp; 7th Jul 2013 at 23:14.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i personally think the quality is great for such a low bit rate at Full D1 resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i never encoded anything that low in bitrate and look excellent at 720x480, version 11.0 of tappencoder. i just didn't believe it at first. i wish the encoder could be faster. on 2x dual core, its 1x speed (~4hrs) and on my dell i3 at work its 2x speed (~2hrs) so i "guess" it would be ~1hr on an i7. unless i'm wrong, can't see anything faster than that i7 cpu today for D1 sources.

its just a matter of waiting for tweaks and optimizations to the next version. hopefully it won't take a hundred updates to reach that goal. anyway, once encoding speed has been figured out, x265 will raign for sure! i will try and encode as many hevc encoded short videos for people to sample and review for themselves.

i don't know anything else that will play these yuv->mkv->divx_player, unless i missed something, so that people enclined to analize deeper, can. i looked into avisynth but can't seem to figure out how to decode hevc in script, (it won't open the .mkv file) even to make script->vdub->UT_codec in order to better analize. the divx player is just too unstable, at least in my slower system, not to mention i'm stuck using on-board (under powered) graphics card. oh well...let me get back to work. maybe i can skip the .yuv->mkv and feed the raw .yuv video and make the UT_code.avi, that might work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    while fixing another (unrelated) pc problem, i found out how to stop the always-on update file in taskmgr.

control pannel
    divx control panel icon
    select Updates, and set to: Never
    close
    finished!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    the customized mkvtoolnix they offered
    Is there any link to this special version ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, special version here:
    http://labs.divx.com/node/127905

no sound is included though. i tried different muxing methods but to no avail.

it seems everyone who is participating in these hevc encoders and tools are limiting the full functionality. it is all ment to wet our appetites.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks
    And there is a link to the source code
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all these encoders are in c/c++/c# .. you never see "encoders" in the delphi/pascal language.
    Quote Quote