VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

thinking it's time to move on from MiniDV (don't laugh!) ...
    anyway, i've been researching the JVC GC-PX100 - looks good, time code ability, time lapse, up to 600 fps.
    does anyone have one of these? wondering what the opinion is and if they're happy.

Their Facebook page shows some really cool celebrity video @ 240fps from a recent Golf tournament. They offer the originals as a download and the quality looks impressive for 240fps.

specs are here: http://resources.jvc.ca/en/GCPX100/index.html

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's a laughable 600fps. it's blurry 320x240 res. yes 240fps is a little clearer and 640x360. the canon g20 is a better cam.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up getting the JVC - on sale so a few hundred less, You're right, the video at 640x360 240fps is really decent.. I like the videos they posted online with the option to download the originals http://resources.jvc.ca/en/JC/index.html i think seeing those sold it for me. anyways, i've been testing it and so far so good. Really reponsive touch menu! (i'm used to miniDV cam menus Lol). Love the Ipad App very easy to use. Anyways, i recommend it to anyone looking. My only issue is there's no built in memory. I really wish there was built in memory - but it's ok i have a couple 16/32 GB cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Spec-wise the JVC GC-PX100 looks impressive with it's fast F1.2 lense, 50 mbps MOV, Big focus ring and High-speed framerate. If the image quality can keep up, I'd say it's a winner for anyone that likes shooting sports......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Look at "Messlabor":
    http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-HDC-HS700--bauaehnlich-HDC-SD707-und-HDC-TM700-.html
    http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-HDC-TM900--bauaehnlich-HDC-SD909-und-HDC-HS900-.html
    http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-HC-X909--bauaehnlich-Panasonic-HC-X900M-.html
    http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-HC-X929.html

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/JVC-GC-PX100---weiche-Handkanone.html

I have a X900M for over a year now and I'm very happy with it. I know the tests are in german but if you look at the pics you'll understand why panasonic makes the best consumer camcorder of its class.
    Sorry, but what benefit has 50Mbit/s recording when only "pixel mud" (don't know how I should call it^^) is stored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but what benefit has 50Mbit/s recording when only "pixel mud" (don't know how I should call it^^) is stored.
    That's why I said: If the image quality can keep up......

Anyway I also have a Panasonic HC-V700 that I also like very much. Here is an English translated review of JVC GS PX100 vs Panasonic HC-X929:http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare-what-i-cmp-u-cmd-i-view-u-mode-i-docompare-...vergleich.html

Looks like The Panny smokes the JVC in picture quality........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi

I am new and may not be in the right place ... but I have a problem.

I have a new JVC-GC-PX100 that plays back in 1 second "hiccps". Every second, there is a visible movement as though there is a frame missing every 5 or six frames. It does not run smooth. I have a decent card in the camera - a Lexar professional XC SD 128Gb 400x Speed so I don't think there is a capture/writing issue.

Is there something wrong with the camera or are there settings that I have misunderstood

Help ..Please!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I'm new to the board. I have some news about the JVC GC-PX100 but I'm going to wait until I'v got the money back in my pocket before I say anymore. You'll all be blown away by it.

PACO
    Quote Quote  
  9. Please let me know.

I had high hopes for this new DVR ... but sent mine back a while ago and got a full refund. Amazon sent me a prepaid label and I had no problems with the refund. I have never had problems with Amazon

I am now waiting for the new Sony Alpha 6000 which will hopefully give me good video and excellent stills, too. I know this is an about turn - but it seems to me that DVRs and their availability are on the wane and so i decided to look at the still & video combination in the new Sony.
    Last edited by bishee; 15th Mar 2014 at 15:49. Reason: addition to original & spelling correction
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    There are a few new Camcorders that will be worth a look at, The Panasonic HC-V750 ($650.00) and the HC-W850 ($850) with the W850 sporting a second camera in the LCD frame, which is really odd and frankly stupid but it also has night vision. Both will have slow motion 120fps to 240fps and have the same sensor as the well known Panasonic X920 ($1100) which 3 sensors. Sony is coming out with the 1" sensor in the HDR-CX900B, it's a bit high in price, $1500 CND (Canadian) but will loose some image stabilization, it will be worth checking the image stabilization on that camera before considering a buy. The Canon HF G30 at ($1500) is also a good choice and very close to the quality of the X920 but lacks color depth IMO. I'm not an expert but recently I've had to look more closely for a new camera since I'm tossing the JVC-GC-PX100 so I know a little about whats coming down the pipe this year..

PACO
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I got my money back. Please test your camera (check video on a computer) under low light conditions to see if it focus's at infinity. If it doesn't, slowly roll the zoom forward to see if it focuses and if does focus but won't focus when you roll it back to infinity, Houston, you have problem. If your camera won't focus properly send it back, I did. I went through 3 on them to no avail. All the low light video I've seen online shows the same problem I had. Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out whats going on at the factory of the sleepy heads at the bone head helm. I gave up and got a refund after 2 months of no real answers from, well you know who.

I bought the Panasonic V750K instead. Won't get it until April most likely. Does 240FPS (Interpolated) at 1080P which is impressive along with 50 mbs/s .MP4 format.

Cheers,
    PACO
    Last edited by Paco572; 22nd Mar 2014 at 16:16. Reason: I had a reason.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    That's why I said: If the image quality can keep up......

Anyway I also have a Panasonic HC-V700 that I also like very much. Here is an English translated review of JVC GS PX100 vs Panasonic HC-X929:http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare-what-i-cmp-u-cmd-i-view-u-mode-i-docompare-...vergleich.html

Looks like The Panny smokes the JVC in picture quality........
    The focus problem I mentioned on the camera is clearly visible from your link in the section marked "test pictures" Test image 12 lux auto mode. Like I said, I went through 3 of them before I realized to my own shock that something was really wrong, not just a one off type of problem isolated to a single camera that could be fixed but something much, much more serious. Asleep at the helm as I put it in the factory. Thanks for link, just another image proving what I've been saying.

Cheers,
    PACO
    Last edited by Paco572; 26th Mar 2014 at 10:38. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Well finally got the Panasonic v750k and I must say I like the camera very much, Way better than the JVC GC-PX100 pile of, holy crap what a pice of junk, junk. I have only one complaint however, as with every camera I've owned I always get a couple of extra batteries, I usually get them on the cheap, however Panasonic has seen fit now to "Lock" via an internal chip into the battery so folks like us can't save a buck or 2 on spare batteries. The result is you have to by from Panasonic, even the one's that do fit, via snapping off a small tab will be sensed by the camera, even though it's a genuine Panasonic battery refuses to function, yet that battery will fire up the camera and tell you to go pound sand. Just the little 1500mAmp default battery the camera comes with is $100.00 CND and the 3800mAmp high capacity one is $200.00 not including taxes. I can tell you this "protectionism" is a screwed up pile of B.S. I found a work around however but the days of me buying any camera that has a chip in it for sole purpose of "forcing" us, the consumer, to by from them at a "super inflated price" can expect no further business from me. I don't care how good their cameras are. I'll buy somewhere else. For those who would like to know my work around PM me. It's a real "finger in the Panasonic eyeball". In other words, they never saw it coming.

PACO
    Quote Quote  
  14. Doesn't that chip also serve another purpose? I think it's for your readout on the camera that says battery is getting low.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 11th May 2014 at 09:53.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Doesn't that chip also serve another purpose? I think it for your readout on the camera that says battery is getting low.
    Yes it does, but in all the years I've own devices that use a battery they didn't need to put a chip in the battery to indicate how much power was left, this was always part of the unit and not the battery. This is just a form of market strategy, to justify their protectionism, at an inflated cost to the consumer. The JVC GC- PX100 batteries also have a chip in them but it doesn't stop third-party manufacturers from creating low-cost batteries for that camera. I purchased batteries for the JVC GC PX-100 and they worked fine. From what I understand and from what I've read on the Internet this protectionism regarding batteries involving Panasonic camcorders is now into its second year, This affected last years models and now includes this year's models so break out your wallet and pay for it if you want a new battery because you're not to get one from a third-party. Fortunately, I found a workaround which pokes a stick in Panasonics
    eyeball for lack of a better term because they never saw it coming or they would've done something to prevent the consumer from using it.

PACO
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    4k Version of the V750k will be at 30 FPS but will come with the night vision like the W850 twin came with. Can't wait....Battery protectionism will still apply. Won't be an issue for me though.
    \

PACO
    Quote Quote