VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. Can anyone please recommend software that lets me batch save a selected video sequence as PNG/JPG? Sony Vegas has this function (Render image sequence). Unfortunately, Sony Vegas is not very friendly with h264 compressed video (mkv container). I've been having to re-encode my videos using a friendlier codec, but at a quality loss. Ultimately, I'm looking for a fairly simple function, and I feel re-encoding video just to accommodate Sony Vegas is a little excessive. Is there something else that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by vasticles; 27th Jun 2013 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please recommend software that lets me batch save a selected video sequence as PNG/JPG?
    VirtualDub

( File -> Export -> Image sequence )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Quicktime Pro, MPegstreamclip. But Vegas works fine with h.264 -- don't know why you're having problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Can anyone please recommend software that lets me batch save a selected video sequence as PNG/JPG?
    VirtualDub

( File -> Export -> Image sequence )
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to open an mkv with those programs. I also tried VirtualDubMOD, but it gives me a number of warnings. I think the major one is that it couldn't find a decompressor.

So I used AVIdemux to turn my mkv into an avi, without any changes to audio or video (even though I don't need audio). Quicktime doesn't show anything. Vegas refuses it, saying it can't be opened. MPEGstreamclip doesn't show anything. VirtualDub says it can't find a decompressor for AVC1.

I downloaded ffdshow, went to VFW configuration>Decoder>Set all stable formats to libavcodec. Same result.

Only VLC plays the new avi file without issues.

Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to open an mkv with those programs.
    Matroska plugin by fccHandler,
    for use with VirtualDub 1.8.8+

http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/Matroska/index.html

I downloaded ffdshow, went to VFW configuration>Decoder>Set all stable formats to libavcodec. Same result.
    Use the x264 VfW codec instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to open an mkv with those programs.
    Matroska plugin by fccHandler,
    for use with VirtualDub 1.8.8+

http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/Matroska/index.html

Use the x264 VfW codec instead.
    Thank you!
    I've made progress. I can now open the mkv with VirtualDub. I've installed x264 VfW. Looked at the configuration, but didn't touch anything. When I try to open the mkv, it says missing codec on the 2 (input/output) video screens. When I click play, it errors saying no audio decompressor could be found. According to VLC, audio is encoded with MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a). I also tried to open it with the extended option to use H264 FOURCC instead of AVC1. Same result

Edit: Switched from 64-bit VirtualDub to 32. Video now appears. Still can't play audio. Not really that important, but what should I install for the audio to work?

Edit2: Figured it out http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/AACACM/index.html

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Last edited by vasticles; 27th Jun 2013 at 20:32.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome =^.^=
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ffmpeg is easier.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @vasticles: Vegas does not support MKV container, it's true, but you should not reencode it, you can rewrap it in MP4, for example. It is fast and no quality loss.
    Quote Quote