VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi there does any one have the best settings for handbrake to shrink the video size down with out loss of Quality.. tired loads of others with out Success
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try Normal preset with Constant Quality option with a value of 18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if you're shrinking video you will lose quality. try the following to minimize:

under "advanced"
    sub pixel motion est - 11
    motion est method - uneven
    motion range - 24
    trellis - always
    adaptive b-frames - fast
    max b-frames - 16
    reference frames - 16
    pyramid b - off
    cabac, 8x8 - one
    weighted p - on
    partition - none
    no dct decimate - on
    deblocking -2, -2
    rate distortion off
    psy trellis off

a few beers, diner with a friend and an hour glass because it's going to take forever.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tomsta79 View Post
    hi there does any one have the best settings for handbrake to shrink the video size down with out loss of Quality.. tired loads of others with out Success
    You will have to specify what sort of video you are trying to convert - HD/DVD/normal quality, Film/Animation etc.

Also, how much fast your computer is, and what amount of time you want to spend on the encode. Generally, if you are willing to spend a longer time encoding, you will get better quality for the same bitrate - ie, better quality for a specific filesize.

Since I don't know the details of your machine or what you are trying to encode, and assuming you don't want to spend several days encoding one film, these are my recommendations:

1) Under "video", assuming you want to specify avge bitrate, select 2-pass encoding, and also turbo first pass (skip turbo if you have a very fast CPU).

Under "advanced":

1) Reference frames : 6-12 (Higher values if you have a very high quality video to start with, or for animated content. Handbrake itself recommends only upto 6.)

2) Max B-frames : 5-8 (Go higher for animation)

3) Select CABAC, 8x8 and Weighted P-frames.

4) Pyr B frames: strict

5) Adaptive B-frames: Optimal

6) Ad dir mode: optimal

7) Sub pixel motion estimation: 9

8) Motion estimation method: Uneven multi hexagon (Try the higher ones only if you have an insanely fast CPU.)

9) Motion estimation range: 16 is fine for most videos. Go higher for very high resolution video. Going above 32 provides no apparent benefit, and slows down encode considerably.

10) Partition type: Always.

11) Trellis: Encode only or always, depending on whether you are prepared to spend a little more time on the encode.

These are the general recommendations I can give to balance quality, filesize and encode time. Encode time is usually my last priority.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a large video file that I am trying to edit in a software called MAGIX Move Edit Pro 13.

Here are it's specs according to MediaInfo:

LGeneral
    Unique ID : 203655723951095846397162251992225339872 (0x9936AA6BFDF5C593A96D731D6A84D9E0)
    Complete name : C:\Users\User\Desktop\PROM.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size : 8.41 GiB
    Duration : 2h 3mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 733 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-09-16 07:31:01
    Writing application : mkvmerge v6.2.0 ('Promised Land') built on Apr 28 2013 12:22:01
    Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 814 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.239
    Stream size : 7.31 GiB (87%)
    Writing library : x264 core 65 r1066M 045ae40
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=8814 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio #1
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 567 MiB (7%)

Audio #2
    ID : 3
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 397 MiB (5%)
    Default : No

Text #1
    ID : 4
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language : Spanish

Text #2
    ID : 5
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Default : No

I try importing the file to MAGIX, but it won't work, so I want to re-encode it with Handbreak with minimal quality loss and was wondering what settings I should use.

When I tried it, I ran into some visual problems (according to a friend): "I'm sure you can see for yourself the quality issues if you watch the video full screen. There are multiple times (usually when the scene is dark and there is a single source or multiple small sources of light) you will see a lot of "banding" (areas that are usually circular or strips and uniform in color) and blockiness in the background of many scenes -- these are compression artifacts most probably due to upscaling to the higher resolution, and/or doing multiple encodes using a highly compressed codec (h264). There are also places where the darkness level abruptly changes from darker to lighter (and then back to darker sometimes). That is probably due to the double encode, or just a problem with the MAGIX MP4 encoder..."

Are there any settings in handbreak that I can select that would help combat these issues when re-encoding this particular file. Again, I want to re-encode it, with minimal quality loss, obviously hopefully avoiding any of the video issues mentioned above.
    Quote Quote