VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I read the thread and I have not yet figured out what is best for me...

I would like to record from HDMI 1080i 50fps (sky) in 1080i 50fps; I'm interested in the NFL matches, but times are prohibitive in europe so I would record the games to see them the next day.

I tried to record with HDPVR rocket but with poor results. In fast action, when the camera follows the ball, it's unwatchable ... An expert from the Hauppauge wrote to me that the Rocket records only in progressive, eliminating a field of the interlaced frame.

I was considering AVerMedia Game Capture HD II, but I could not figure out if it's right for me ... someone who has tried it could confirm whether or not you get the captures interlaced, flowing, like to see them live on TV?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english... it is not my language
    Roby
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've found the Elgato gives the best picture quality. It can capture interlaced, just select the Preserve Source option. You're quoting the numbers wrong, it should be 1080i 25FPS (frame per second). The Elgato will say it's recording in 50fps but when you use MediaInfo on the recording it will say it's 25fps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply

Why it should be 1080i 25FPS?

I'm sure the video comes from the sky box in HDMI 1080i 50fps; it shows me the TV, and also showed me the software Hauppauge capture ...

If I record in 25fps, and the original video is 50fps, I lose half of the frames ... for example, the legs of a man seen running jerky; in case of interlaced video, I lose two fields per frame and the "jerkyes" (I'm not sure that is the correct term) are more pronounced.

Or am I wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're getting Fields per Second mixed up with Frames per Second. 1080i 50 Fields per second is the same as 1080i 25 frames per second. When referring to DVDs and Bluray most people and video conversion programs refer to Frames per Second. When you say 50fps most people think you're referring to frames per second instead of fields per second which just confuses everyone.

The Elgato will say it's recording in 50fps (Fields Per Second) but when you use MediaInfo on the recording it will say it's 25fps (Frames per second).

Is there a button on your TV remote which when pressed says "50fps"? If so, it's referring to fields per second. Can't speak for Hauppage software as that device is rubbish so I don't use it.

The Elgato "Preserve source format" setting I gave you is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM

In short, when interlaced are fields per second while in progressive are frames per second ...
    In interlaced every frame are splitted in two fields that show the video more pleasant on TV, especially in fast action.

Thanks for the explanation!

The Elgato vs AVerMedia Game Capture HD II: both capture in 1080i as original but the first have better quality... is that right?

Edit:
    Another question... the elgato is stand alone? Beacause I don't have pc/laptop near the satbox
    Last edited by duke68; 11th Sep 2014 at 16:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes that's correct. Don't know the technical side of things such as your explanation. I only deal with things I can see, I can't see fields. When editing a video in a video editor I can edit each frame and and I can see 25 frames per second in the editor.

Never used the Avermedia but based on the reviews and what people said in this forum, the Elgato is better. Elgato Game Capture HD is what I use. They also have a newer model the HD60 which I think does the same thing but with a different encoding chip and it allows recording at a max of 1080p at 60fps. It's just been released so there may be glitches in it.

I would get the Game Capture HD as it's cheaper and it will still do what you want. Just use software version 1.42.9 as other versions may drop frames. Also there's a bug where the picture in the recording will fade to black at random within the first 3 minutes so always start recording 3 mins before the thing you want to record starts. I'd also advise you get a 2nd PC just for using the Elgato on as doing anything else while recording may cause glitches in the recording (doesn't matter how powerful the CPU is of your main PC). I bought a Asus M32AA-UK001S for £350. Does the job nicely. It has an Intel Core i3-3240 4Ghz (Dual Core [seen by PC as 4 core]. I wouldn't recommend using a CPU of a laptop is nowhere near as powerful as the CPU of a desktop. I bought a core i3 laptop and it gave glitches in the recording.

You'll need a HDMI splitter which has a feature of stripping the HDCP. Without it you won't be able to record Sky. Also don't bother outputting 2 HDMI via the splitter as that may cause the picture to freeze in the recording once per recording at a random time or it may not happen at all. Just output 1 HDMI from the splitter into the Elgato. You can always use a composite video cable/scart to view SKy in realtime to see what you're recording. You could use a non-HDCP splitter to output 1 HDMI to your TV and another into the HDCP stripper HDMI splitter but I've no idea if that will prevent the freezing issue or not.

I use TeamViewer to control my 2nd PC.

No the Elgato is NOT standalone. You need your PC in the same room as it. The HDR PVR is standalone but the quality is poor.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 11th Sep 2014 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duke68 View Post
    I read the thread and I have not yet figured out what is best for me...

I would like to record from HDMI 1080i 50fps (sky) in 1080i 50fps; I'm interested in the NFL matches, but times are prohibitive in europe so I would record the games to see them the next day.

I tried to record with HDPVR rocket but with poor results. In fast action, when the camera follows the ball, it's unwatchable ... An expert from the Hauppauge wrote to me that the Rocket records only in progressive, eliminating a field of the interlaced frame.

I was considering AVerMedia Game Capture HD II, but I could not figure out if it's right for me ... someone who has tried it could confirm whether or not you get the captures interlaced, flowing, like to see them live on TV?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english... it is not my language
    Roby
    I don't have the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II, but I checked the manufacturer's specs and found it accepts 1080i input, which it can capture at 1080i. I saw a review that claimed a 20,000 kbps maximum bitrate for the device at 720p or 1080p. The device allows setting timers for recording TV from a set top box, but cannot change the channel. It can record to an installed 2.5 inch HDD or an external HDD.

Is it good enough for sports? I cannot say yes or no. It does capture 1080i video at its normal broadcast fields per second, which will keep motion as fluid as the original. What I can't tell you is whether or not its H.264 encoder does a good job at preserving detail when capturing 1080i video so you can see small, fast-moving objects clearly.

The Elgato Game Capture HD might be better, but it isn't a stand-alone device. It needs to be connected to a PC to record. The Elgato Game Capture HD 60 also needs to be connected to a PC, and its specs only mention progressive resolutions, so it might not capture interlaced video properly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Sep 2014 at 18:57. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by duke68 View Post
    In short, when interlaced are fields per second while in progressive are frames per second ...
    In interlaced every frame are splitted in two fields that show the video more pleasant on TV, especially in fast action.
    Yes. 1080i25 is the same thing as 1080i50. The latter term was unfortunately invented by marketing dweebs to make it sound like their product was better. Each interlaced digital frame contains two half pictures, called fields, one in all the even scan lines, one in all the odd scan lines. They are intended to be viewed separately and sequentially. It's the TV's job to separate those two fields and display them one at a time. So with 1080i25 video you see 50 different 1920x540 pictures per second.

The Elgato vs AVerMedia Game Capture HD II: both capture in 1080i as original but the first have better quality... is that right?
    The Hauppauge HD PVR 2 has about the same quality as the Elgato Game Capture HD when they're both recording at the same bitrate. But the Elgato allows for higher bitrates, and hence, higher quality and larger files. I don't know exactly how the Hauppauge Rocket compares because I've never used one. But from what I've read it always deinterlaces 1080i input, losing half the temporal resolution and at least some of the spacial resolution.

Another question... the elgato is stand alone? Beacause I don't have pc/laptop near the satbox
    The Elgato Game Capture HD is not a standalone device. It must be hooked up to a computer to record. I don't believe the HD60 can work as a standalone device either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Jagabo the HD PVR 2 at it's max bitrate and the Elgato recording at the same bitrate as the PVR - the PVR picture it much worse. It likes to pixellate gradients such as background walls.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Jagabo the HD PVR 2 at it's max bitrate and the Elgato recording at the same bitrate as the PVR - the PVR picture it much worse. It likes to pixellate gradients such as background walls.
    On the other hand the elgato's caps arenn't quite as sharp and small details (like film grain) are blurred away. So you pick your poison.

Someone capturing games might prefer the Elgato because games don't have film grain and are usually very sharp so a little blurring adds some antialiasing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all.

If you care to see a short video of hd pvr rocket ... here it is. It's about 100MB recorded from 1080i as best the rocket can do When the game are slow, isn't so bad but in fast action... my eyes bounce from right to left in my head!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by duke68 View Post
    If you care to see a short video of hd pvr rocket ... here it is.
    Yeah, that deinterlacing and jerky/flickery low frame rate makes it pretty ugly. I don't understand why Hauppauge does that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The HD-PVR Rocket is designed to make it easy to capture video games without a PC and quickly upload the resulting video to a website or stream it live. That is why the HD-PVR Rocket de-interlaces everything. I would not recommend it for recording TV. HD-PVR Rocket's recordings are only going to be bearable to watch using progressive sources or static subjects.
    Quote Quote