VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I haven't read through this whole thread, but it appears if you keep clicking through the install wizard, after choosing the installation location and start menu folder for the shorcuts, the next step gives you the option not to install any extra junk. In my case it wasn't particularly obvious the option not to install was available, and given it's the final step in the setup process I did start to wonder if clicking "next" would in fact install some extra junk without giving me the choice to opt out.
    Here's what the extra junk installation step in the setup wizard looked like for me when I got there:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	4539
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	18716

The "custom installation" option is in light grey text, which makes it appear you mightn't be able to select it, however, you can. Once you select it and uncheck the three boxes to stop any extra junk from being installed or unwanted changes being made, the window looks like this:

Name:	Clipboard02.gif
Views:	4719
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	18717

I'm not sure if it's because I opted out of the Snap.do crap above, but the installer then made a second attempt to include some unwanted junk. Maybe they hope after opting out the first time, the user will have a false sense of security and click through the next step without reading the page and opting out a second time. Sneaky..... you really do have to pay attention these days.

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	5358
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	18724

In the end though, ImgBurn was installed without any extra junk (I deselected the check-box above before continuing).

I've seen a few installers which include OpenCandy software now, and while they sometimes appear to try to fool you into thinking you can't opt out of installing their junk, so far I've not seen one where you can't.
    I'd imagine.... well at least hope..... developers of free software would drop OpenCandy very quickly if you couldn't opt out.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 5th Jul 2013 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I know you can get some old versions of software from VideoHelp, but I like Oldversion.com because the size and release date is clearly stated (see screenshot). They have thousands of old software.

While we're trading bookmarks, another site in this vein that I've used in the past is
    http://www.oldapps.com/
    and I think there are at least a couple more. It's good to have these file repository options.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Why blank out the name of the software that's doing this? That would be good for people to know. Creators who ignore our express wishes (deselected boxes) and stealth-intall this crap anyway should be outed.
    In this case, it was aTube-Catcher. I got it from the developer's site not even realizing it was in the tool section here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Why blank out the name of the software that's doing this? That would be good for people to know. Creators who ignore our express wishes (deselected boxes) and stealth-intall this crap anyway should be outed.
    In this case, it was aTube-Catcher. I got it from the developer's site not even realizing it was in the tool section here.
    I changed it to adware in the tools section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    If you're worried about what the installer might be doing, why not use an archiver shell like PeaZip, 7-Zip, etc., to open the EXE (as you would an archive), extract the Imgburn program and components, and manually update your Imgburn install with them?
    Is the plugin container where the crap is? Does it connect to internet to deliver ads?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	imb.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	21281  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    Is the plugin container where the crap is? Does it connect to internet to deliver ads?
    The $PLUGINSDIR directory/folder contains files that the installer uses, yes - but without knowing what every one of those files actually does, I couldn't say they're the source of the adware/other installs any more than the original installer itself.

I believe OpenCandy does connect to the net, yes.

Imgburn itself doesn't use adware, as far as I'm aware, so all you have to do is extract everything except the $PLUGINSDIR folder and the files in it, manually move the extracted files and folders where you want them to go, and run Imgburn from there.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if you disconnect from the net before running the installer?
    (ipconfig /release or similar) .

I think in some cases, the installer recognizes it isn't going to be able to download anything
    extra and gives a clean install. I must admit though, I haven't tried it with IMGBURN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, surely if you are casrefull, read what you see on the screen, not madly just press 'Ok', and simply follow the above then you do not have such ad-ware issues..

Or

Just download one of the older versions (from this site) before the installer tried to include the ad-ware.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, surely if you are casrefull, read what you see on the screen, not madly just press 'Ok', and simply follow the above then you do not have such ad-ware issues..

Or

Just download one of the older versions (from this site) before the installer tried to include the ad-ware.
    i wasn't caught with adware i am just curious In one post the developer said you only get shown an ad once. i do not see the point in ads or toolbars as it just makes most people avoid the software. lots of imgburners say theybare finished with it
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Discussed earlier in this thread, I believe. Just a matter of replacing two .Exe files, after extracting them from the installer archive. (I used Peazip or UniExtractor, as suggested.) My IB 2.5.7.0 thus became 2.5.8.0, with no crapware complications.

Unless a developer starts to resort to methods more sneaky or underhanded than this, in order to get that junk past you, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. You don't need to be a techie to make use of the tools above.

[And incidentally, there have been cases where people opted OUT of toolbars etc. during the install phase, but their choice was disregarded, and the stuff went on anyway. But you should be able to avoid even this minor risk.]
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    i wasn't caught with adware i am just curious In one post the developer said you only get shown an ad once. i do not see the point in ads or toolbars as it just makes most people avoid the software. lots of imgburners say theybare finished with it
    The point is very likely that the author gets few donations and he decided that this was a good way to get some revenue for his work. Whether this is really the best choice he could have made for increasing revenue is something I leave up for debate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a tough call. If the latest version has a 'must have' function/feature, the author could go down the 'payware' route. Then all and sundry would shout that a free program was no longer.

Donations are the honourable approach but stand in line and put your hand up if you have donated. And if you merely downloaded from here rather than from the author's site you were probably ill-aware of the means of making a donation.

So maybe the debate should be "Are we willing to pay for this ?"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NoBuddy View Post
    Or just use Universal Extractor to extract the files from setup.exe.
    Then replace old ImgBurn.exe with the new one. Same with ImgBurnPreview.exe
    No need to run setup and fight with the adware stuff.
    I've not heard of this before. Would you please say how to "use Universal Extractor to extract the files", and/or direct me to link for more detailed DIY info on this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I disconnected from the internet and ran the regular Imgburn install - no attempt to install adware.
    Has any one else tried and confirm my findings?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Senex View Post
    Would you please say how to "use Universal Extractor to extract the files"
    It can be done with 7-Zip too (which is completely free).

http://www.7-zip.org/

After installing, open 7-zip.
    Then simply navigate to SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe (or whatever setup version you have).
    Then using 7-zip's Extract option, select a directory to extract the files to.

Place the extracted ImgBurn.exe & ImgBurnPreview.exe into ImgBurn's Program Files folders.

(All this is assuming ImgBurn is installed already and are upgrading versions).

Last edited by mike20021969; 16th Mar 2014 at 04:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I disconnected from the internet and ran the regular Imgburn install - no attempt to install adware.
    Of course you don't get the malware when there is no internet connection. The installer has to contact opencandy.com to get the offers. Blocking opencandy's web sites in your hosts file (which I mentioned long ago) does the same thing.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Mar 2014 at 12:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its been a while since I tried the IB 2580. All the crap! I went back to (just checked) ver 2510. It does everything I want, I mean, if it aint broke, dont fix it. I rarely burn disks anymore, rip everything to ISO's, mainly the movie only. Sometimes to dvd folders to (fixvts) fix. then to iso.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Never updated from 2500, never needed to upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I used these directions to "unpack" imgburn, and using it for standalone scripts, so there is no need to install imgburn before using a program that can burn DVD for example, you can "unpack" using whatever was recommended already above in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Of course you don't get the malware when there is no internet connection. The installer has to contact opencandy.com to get the offers. Blocking opencandy's web sites in your hosts file (which I mentioned long ago) does the same thing.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350
    But then why are some going to all the the trouble of unpacking Imgburn and trying to separate out
    the bit they don't want? Is that easier than disconnecting from the internet before doing the install?
    Perhaps I'm not understanding something.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Senex View Post
    Would you please say how to "use Universal Extractor to extract the files"
    It can be done with 7-Zip too (which is completely free).

http://www.7-zip.org/

After installing, open 7-zip.
    Then simply navigate to SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe (or whatever setup version you have).
    Then using 7-zip's Extract option, select a directory to extract the files to.

Place the extracted ImgBurn.exe & ImgBurnPreview.exe into ImgBurn's Program Files folders.

(All this is assuming ImgBurn is installed already and are upgrading versions).

Sorry - Seems that I missed that it was an upgrade. Thought that when NoBuddy said "old ImgBurn.exe" he meant replace the original with the Universal Extractor-altered one.

So this would not apply to me, as I am looking to do fresh install of ImgBurn (+ other software from malware providers like Cnet, tucows, etc.), sans the crud (1click, opencandy, and so on). I'll start another thread for this, so I don't step on any toes...but thanks for the reply!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    If you're worried about what the installer might be doing, why not use an archiver shell like PeaZip, 7-Zip, etc., to open the EXE (as you would an archive), extract the Imgburn program and components, and manually update your Imgburn install with them?
    Brain surgery is always easy to those who know how to do it. Yes, as an IT guy I could certainly do that. But...
    1) We have a lot of members who simply do not have the knowledge to do this. Period. If got friends who if they were threatened with death unless they did this, they would surely die from being completely unable to even get started trying to do it.
    2) There's nothing to stop Lightning UK! from deliberately writing the install program so that it won't work if any components are stripped out.
    3) Really, we shouldn't HAVE to do this in the first place to get around the area of concern.

My suggestion is that maybe Lightning UK! can offer a "completely crapware free" version of ImgBurn that people can pay for. I strongly suggest that such a version be entitled to free upgrades as I know everybody who pays for it is not going to be happy to have to keep paying to get newer versions without crapware. I get that he goes to a lot of effort and probably doesn't get fair compensation for it as his program requires no donations to use, but this really doesn't seem like the best option. Do note that on the official forums one of his most sycophantic (look it up if you don't know this word - it's a great word - thank you John Lennon for teaching it to me) followers is going to crazy extremes to defend Lightning UK! and bash those who dare to complain. That's why I only feel like making my suggestion here.
    Or maybe some kind soul could do a tutorial on how to use PeaZip, 7-zip, Universal Extractor, or whatever, to filter the malware out of needed programs from unethical download sites? Especially since Malwarebytes and many of its competitors seem to think OpenCandy is just too cool!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Or

Don't bet on it. Google:

"CNET Joins the Dark Side, its Download.com Attempts to Fill Your Computer With Crapware" - groovypost
    or:
    "How to install freeware cleanly" - freewaregenius

So just how careful do you have to be to dodge such overt chicanery?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with a belief in a Single Simple Tutorial is that the 'package contents' varies from one product to another, and likely from one version to another so "single simple" would eventually create more problems than not.

Fortunately, this thread discusses the two files that ImgBurn 2.580 uses for its "upgrade" from 2.570.

I'm unsure if every UnZIP package offers "right click" abilities, but all that I've seen in the last 10 years have, yes. So, I find the downloaded software file, right-click on it and select an UNZIP TO (Some Folder Name), and voila, those files are now extracted and waiting to be copied to their ultimate destination folder.

But I'd caution - this method is only tried-and-tested HERE for use with this one version of ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    I installed ImgBurn with version 2.4.4.0 (the last version without ads), and use that 7-zip trick to update it. I dunno whether the structure of the software changed since 2.4.4.0 (the story would be different if it indeed change), but from what I see and after searching what files were made by the installer, I think it's almost certain that upgrading from 2.4.4.0 to the latest version (2.5.8.0 currently, by the way) is possible like this, without any repercussion (the log says that it's upgraded to 2.5.8.0). Somewhere at Imgburn forum, Lightning UK! also mention that 7-zip trick, too, although he doesn't mention how many version back you can do that.

Looking at the hash and the version of each files, there are three files that need to be replaced: uninstall.exe, ImgBurn.exe, and (optionally, I think) ReadMe.txt. Uninstall.exe is different between each installer, so maybe there's something important there, the ImgBurn.exe is already obvious why, and the ReadMe.txt has different hash between 2.4.4.0 and 2.5.8.0, so something must be different, but I'm too lazy to check exactly what. ImgBurnPreview.exe has the same version number and hash between 2.4.4.0 and 2.5.8.0, so I think we can leave that alone (unless it is changed in the future).

If you're paranoid or just want an exact match you can replace the success.wav too, it has the exact same amount of byte but somehow different hash in 2.5.8.0.

As to which part of the installer is "hiding" open candy, OCSetupHlp.dll looks like the one. OC is probably = open candy, and it is listed at open candy wikipedia page too.

I guessed all of that with just logic, am not a developer so who knows, Lightning UK! might makes something not readily apparent unless another developer look at the exe. I heard somewhere that Open Candy is actually quite tame compared to other things that people could add inside installer (not that having to be reaaal careful installing things feels any better). And by the way, license agreement.rtf is included in 2.4.4.0, but it's not there in 2.5.8.0, delete it if you feel like it.

Edit: if this really works with 2.4.4.0, then upgrading from anything in between will also works, I guess.

Edit2: there are slight difference on each installer, so there still might be some difference between installing using 2.5.8.0 installer and doing it like this. I used this method myself and the software seems to be just fine, so I think whatever the difference, it couldn't be that much. Perhaps on the registry or something. DisplayVersion at registry still think that the version is whatever version the installer used to install it normally, for example. At least on that one I don't think it is a good idea to change it to 2.5.8.0 as it is used by the installer to determine what adjustment it must made to update ImgBurn (in case the developer suddenly stop bundling things and the software is updated using that new clean installer).

The method worked using 2.5.0.0 installer too.
    Last edited by ticktock; 11th Jan 2016 at 06:45. Reason: adding result from further testing
    Quote Quote  
  26. btw. I normally use Ninite to install ImgBurn and a bunch of other tools and never had a problem with such adware,..
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  27. yup, using it for years now and installed to all my folks who still use Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is imgburn even being developed anymore?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  29. at least not active, last release was: Sunday 16th June 2013
    Quote Quote