VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there...

First Post to the site (Helluva' Site too!) and have a question in regards to my ADVC-100 that I've had on a shelf for some years...

First, is the ADVC-100 (not 110) 'still' a good option for transferring HI-8 and DV tapes to Digital format? I have about 50 of these tapes (total) and would like to get them into a format that is Good quality and can later be 'authored'. My main focus right now is to get a decent DIGITAL copy from these tapes before something happens to them...

I'm familiar with the hook-ups and such, but not sure of which software I should be using to do the following;

-Codecs that need to be installed previous to recording as I am unsure about 'Codecs' and which ones I should be using in order to get the quality and format required for storage and future Authoring...

-The actual "Program" (Software used) to transfer or 'Capture' the video and which format I would need to record to.

**Obviously I have very limited experience, but I these Videos mean a LOT to me and as such, I have set aside 'limited funds' in order to purchase required software, Hardware, etc.. Of course, I also want to 'learn' how to do it properly and figured this Forum was the best place to start**

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  2. The ADVC-100 converts digital to analog and vice versa.

First, the DV tapes are easy, firewire into your computer, no ADVC necessary
    Using the ADVC box you can convert your HI-8 tapes to DV -- that is the only choice with that hardware, and then firewire from the ADVC to the computer.

The simplest software to use is WinDV, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/WinDV but any NLE can handle it -- Premiere, Vegas, etc.

If you have no DV codecs loaded on your system, Cedocida is a good one
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Cedocida-DV-Codec.

Be sure the dip switches on your ADVC-100 are properly set for your material. (Default is all "off" which should be fine for Canada)
    Quote Quote