VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is strange but not all together unexpected I guess.

I have a wdtv gen 1 (the full size not the mini) and it is starting to display odd symptoms.

I have one usb harddrive (a pata usb enclosure -powered- 500gb) that I have used constantly with it and it is not playing files off it anymore. It will read the drive and I can browse the folders but it will not play any of the video files.

I have hooked that drive up to my pc and it looks ok as it reads as a normal usb drive that I can browse through.

I have a usb memory stick that I have used successfully before and it too will not playback files. It will access it and browse it but it will not load files from it.

I did test another harddrive (a 2tb powered enclosure) that also worked previously and this will work. However this is the only one that will.

All except the memory stick have been tested in both usb ports.

The odd thing is that I can browse the drives. If the usb ports were faulty I would expect that they'd be invisible and unaccessible. Its maddening to see the files but not be able to play them - well they start up like they want to play but only a blank screen.

These are all types of files, sd and hd h264 files. These are ones I've successfully played on this unit from these same harddrives before. Some are ones i"ve downloaded in sd off youtube and I know those work just fine on this unit (in mp4 in h264).

So since i can read these drives (including the usb stick) I assume they are ok but the wdtv is acting up. Its strange it can read one (that 2tb was purchased this year less than half a year old from first use) but not the others.

Should I throw in the towel and buy another?

It has given a lot to me over the years. Although I haven't really overused it and it did sit dormant for awhile. But I was starting to use it again more often lately.

----------------

One question do all of the new wdtv models still have fiber optic output?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Firmware update?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SallyDog View Post
    Firmware update?
    Nope.

Forgot to mention that. It was 1.03.01 and I hit system reset but it still read the same firmware edition.

They only had two updates to that model if I remember right.

Same issues after the system reset fyi.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd say it's time for a new one. Been very happy with my wdtv live.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try reinstalling the firmware. On my WDTV, I had a situation where the firmware got corrupted somehow. I reflashed it with the same version and it was OK after that. Can't hurt to try. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then time for a new one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to me WDTV writes some files to the hard drive. Take a look while it's hooked up to the pc and delete the files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Expanding on misterbill's suggestion:

-delete WDTV directory on hard drive
    -run chkdsk
    -look at the permissions on the files: authenticated users should have read and read+execute (properties-security tab)

If the fault was with the WDTV I'd expect it to be consistent across all drives, not just some. I know my WDTV (early networked version) occasionally can't find media files but it has behaved itself since the last firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There was two resets, factory reset (or system reset, not sure how it was called) and there was also a tiny hole on the side of the unit next to USB, I was resseting that with some pin also if I remember.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by _al_
    there was also a tiny hole on the side of the unit next to USB, I was resseting that with some pin also if I remember.
    I didn't think about looking for one of those. So I did.

It worked!

That was the ticket.

So now the drive that wasn't working is and the usb stick is working as well.

It seems like that did the trick.

Now if I keep getting failures of one type or another I'll chalk it up to old age and finally get another one. But for the time being it seems like it is back in business.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yea! I love it when a plan comes together.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SallyDog View Post
    Yea! I love it when a plan comes together.
    Ah the a-team
    Quote Quote  
  12. I was active a bit on wdtv's forum (it was a new thing , I liked that box o lot even it had flaws) and it was a consensus that for some, units were working and for some would not. That was perhaps an explanation of it in a way, those with any sign of problem were just "brutally" resetting unit without spending any time figuring out what was wrong (formats, settings, fw ..) and it most likely came back behaving in an expected manner.
    Quote Quote