VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the movie subtitles completed in SRT and would like to create a subtitles in another language for the same movie. I have to hire a translator and send them the subtitles in a Word doc (copied & pasted from the SRT in Notepad).

After I receive the translation, I'm wondering if there is some way I can copy and paste the new language translation into the existing SRT timecode, without having to replace each line of texts one by one per each timecode? I use Subtitle Edit and from what I tried to check I could not find a way to paste the texts of the whole movie in a new language into the existing SRT file (just keeping the same timecode) - it only allows me to replace the texts line by line.

I wish I could ask my translator to translate the subtitles directly from Subtitle Edit, but it's proven too complicated...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know any better way to do it. Last year I did a personal translation of Russian subs into English and I had to replace the Russian subs one by one as I did my own translation (I speak Russian well enough to do that). It did enable to keep track of where I was that way.

You might want to send a copy of the film to the translator so he/she can watch it. Some things are hard to translate correctly because you need context and there is a chance that going by words alone a few things might not end up translated as well as they could be without visual queues to explain exactly what is being talked about.

Finally, since you cared enough to pay to get it done, when you have the final file you might want to upload it to some subtitle sites so others can benefit from your actions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. paste the texts of the whole movie in a new language into the existing SRT file
    You do it the other way around in Subtitle Edit.

First:
    File -> Import Plain Txt... -> ( Select your translated file. You may want to use the checkbox "One Line Is One Subtitle" if this is your case)

Next:
    File -> Import Time Codes -> (Select the SRT with the time codes)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks very much!! I'm a bit surprised to see that there is no straightforward function for this but just tried and videobruger's method works ok for me.

To jman98: yes I provided the translator a DVD too, but for creating the translation she prefers me to make a simple Word doc of dialogues.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit: Another option is to right-click in the list view -> Column -> Insert text / Import text
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe on topic, maybe off, but I had two subtitles of differing frame rates and translation in English. I needed to maintain the time codes of one while inserting the text of the other. Sigh. One had the correct time codes, the other the desired text. Using Subtitle Edit, I opened the srt of the desired time codes. I then selected Tools>Make new translation from current subtitle. This opened a new, blank, column between the original time codes and a column titled "original text". I know this is intended for line by line transliteration, but I found it a useful work-around to paste one translation beside the other for editing purposes. Tedious. I opened both subtitles in notepad and used a common line of dialog as reference. Example: Original line #25 reads "Hi bob" and desired text reads, "Hi Sally" at a totally different time code. It's a matter of finding common ground. I then right-clicked on the blank column at the common line number and selected "insert subtitle after this line". I now had the desired text time-coded side by side to the original text. Weird but true. An odd artifact was that the original text column was appended upon itself. Scrolling down and deleting this from the "original text" column cleaned this. I was then able to fine tune my new and improved subtitle. I can't say this is slick, but it worked better for me given that frame rate conversion simply did not work in this case. Original SRT was 23.976 FPS with crap translation but great time-codes to match video. Desired SRT was for 25 FPS with good translation. I tried some of the above suggestions, but either I did not understand or the FPS issue became the block. I'm new to inserting/importing, text/time-codes and the column insert was too confusing. I'd be happy to provide both subtitles if anyone can improve my work-around method. Finally, I should state that I could not find, anywhere, a good translation that matched my video FPS. Subtitle Edit is an awesome program, but lacks some HELP features. My bday is 02/15/64. Same month and day as the developer. Just a side note, heh.
    Last edited by milo77; 3rd Mar 2015 at 07:25. Reason: Clarity?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, maybe this works. Not sure why I could not "attach" to above post. Maybe because said post was not advanced. These are the two files I had worked with. The first file had correct time-codes for a 23.976 fps xvid video, but crap translation. The second had better (?) translation, but was for a 25 fps xvid video. How would you deal with this? I made it work as described above. Is there a more efficient way? Despite the fact both subtitles are in the same language, I treated them as being dissimilar. Thanks to all in advance.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by milo77; 1st Mar 2015 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made an English subtitle for a film that there was only a Spanish sub available, altho the language was English - I knew a little Spanish and did Latin at school (compulsory back then at my Anglican Boys School) so that helped.

I opened 2 notepad windows one had the original Spanish and copy for the second. I then when through the movie listening and also had a copy of the screen script in English - it was a time consuming copy and paste job but it worked after about a weeks intermittent work.

Lots of different ways to tackle this.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes there's lots of ways.

I made a screen recording of how I would go about it.

And the diffference in time codes has nothing to do with different FPS but must be due to ... something else.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. @videobruger, I know the difference in time codes is not FPS dependent. But pasting an srt's text of a differing frame rate upon a time code (Tools>Make new translation from current subtitle) of the subtitle that did work gave me an opportunity to disregard frame rate and just work with the text. Lots of ways, for sure. Lots of media and such. Thank you so much for the video. Opened my eyes to a cool way to use cut and paste in Subtitle Edit. Very gymnastic method. I like it. What I was saying about frame rates in my post is proof that I have much to learn. However, I understand now that the time code is the key and text is text, regardless of language. There is sometimes adjustments needed to tune the lines. My goal was to be efficient and you helped a lot. My error was in my statement, "to automate frame-rate conversions without relying on synch tools". I will edit that because it is erroneous. Thanks for pointing out my error. I still do not understand how to make Bluray subs to DVD and reverse. Please forgive my poor knowledge as I am learning. I am a collector of international film, and feel that sharing stories is the key to a peaceful planet. It is sad that translation is a big challenge for many. So I try, at least, to make subtitles available to people with an open mind. I do not watch television because it is propaganda. I choose what I see, and share what I feel is real. Again, great video tutorial you shared here. Thumbs up. By the way, the intro lines are a weather report that is played from a battery, old transistor type, radio that a character is listening to while riding on the back of a truck loaded with slaughtered pigs hanging and swinging about. Text is only text, and time codes are time codes. My next challenge is to work from audio to sync text. I'm so new to all this. But, I have no problem watching anything with subtitles. Sadly, most of my American friends can not handle reading and watching at the same time. By the way, I will upload my Rainy Dog subtitle @subscene 23.976fps dvdrip.

@netmask Yeah, I studied Latin in Catholic school, helped me later with Spanish really, and French in an English school. It certainly helps to understand how language works. Opening both sources in notepads is a good way to start. I admire your ability to translate one language to another. That's really cool. I'm not quite confident enough to do so. One thing I do know is that if two people meet and speak different languages, they can communicate if they care. Right? I admire your dedication to essentially take dictation and just type it down in another language. That's where it all begins, really. I have a friend that is fluent in a myriad of Slavic dialects, German and Japanese. Crazy, I know. There are many films I would like to share that still need translations to English. I know, English (primary) speakers are lazy or just not involved, especially Americans. However, this world is not getting bigger and this website is helping to fill the gaps by filling a basic need. Vision is important, what we see impacts how we feel. How images coincide with interpretation and perception is arguably the biggest challenge facing us all.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I still do not understand how to make Bluray subs to DVD and reverse.
    For that you'll need BDSup2Sub (You can do it in Subtitle Edit. When you import an image based subtitle it'll open an OCR window. Selecting (mark) the subtitles you can right click and export)

Click image for larger version

Name:	SESubPGS.jpg
Views:	3296
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	30547

My next challenge is to work from audio to sync text
    Try having Subtitle Edit show the wave form.
    Last edited by videobruger; 3rd Mar 2015 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I did use Subtitle Edit to open a wave form, but it made my head spin. Thanks for the other link. I just need to get my head around the various tools. I could not figure out how to read the wave-forms within the context of the working subtitle. Possibly one to many glasses of wine. I'll give it another shot this coming weekend. For now, I'll chill on some audio in the form of Stevie Ray Vaughn and put words on the back burner. Thanks for the reply Bruger.
    Quote Quote