VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still use my 2005 win xp computer for many purposes, for instance to transfer TV recordings from PVR Box to computer via a Pinnacle Studio 500 PCI card. That is, I did so until the computer broke down due to destruction of all MSI K8N NEO4-F motherboard capacitors. I managed to get hold of a new MSI K8N NEO4-F Platinum motherboard and at the same time exchanged the cpu from AMD Athlon 64 3700 to AMD Athlon 64x2 4200 2.2 GHz. The total running time for the Pinnacle PCI card may be in excess of 200 hours.
    Question: Could this heavy use of the PCI card have caused the capacitor breakdown? Mostly I transfer movies with a duration of 90 min. Would it be advisable to take a break halfway, or should I refrain from this procedure totally?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heavy use or otherwise of the pinnacle card has little to do with the main board capacitor destruction. Electrolytic capacitors die all the time, some sooner than others.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, I think I`ll continue using the Pinnacle card like I used to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On several older motherboards heat was a real capacitor killer. Even Asus, known for its performance and overclockability, had electrolytic caps go belly up in relatively short times due to heat.

A good motherboard should be designed to run at the maximum heat and handle it OK. Check specs for high-temp or high-rel caps, or do some detective work before you possibly buy a MB with the same problem again.
    Quote Quote