VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've just purchased an AVT-8710, to place between my VCR and Hauppauge USB-Live2. I've got to use component in to the TBC, but would I get any advantage or disadvantage to using S-Video Out from the TBC and into the capture device? Or for consistency, stick to composite in and out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
    I've just purchased an AVT-8710, to place between my VCR and Hauppauge USB-Live2. I've got to use composite in to the TBC, but would I get any advantage or disadvantage to using S-Video Out from the TBC and into the capture device? Or for consistency, stick to composite in and out?
    Fixed.

I would say just stick to composite. Conversion from composite to S-Video is done by something called a comb filter, and both of these devices have unimpressive 2D comb filters. The USB-Live2 uses a much newer chip, so keeping with composite may give you a slight edge.

The opposing argument would be that the AVT separates the video internally and recombines it for output, so the S-Video output may lead to fewer comb filters involved.

There are test patterns to see if there will be any difference, if you really want to compare.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the 'fix', you know what I meant

I've got cables to try both so I'll do tests for both, as long as there isn't any technical/hardware reason to choose one of the other.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This static pattern should do fine since they are not 3D filters. Burn the ISO with ImgBurn and capture the DVD from a player. You'll most likely just see slightly different rainbows, dot crawl, and a bit of a levels change.

I'd like to see screenshots of the results if you'd be so kind.
    Quote Quote