VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried vdub 32bit and vfw 32bit and vdub 64bit and vfw 64bit, ffdshow even appears as compression option(for vdub x86), but no x264 whatsoever.

I am using windows 8 professional.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lzun9qz.png
Views:	6703
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	18084
    Quote Quote  
  2. Install x264vfw as administrator. Ie, right click on the installer and select "run as administrator".
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th May 2013 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The installer needs admin to launch anyways but fyi I did it just now with no effect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try the procedure in this thread (manually registering the codec):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#1723154
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try the procedure in this thread (manually registering the codec):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#1723154
    But x264vfw doesn't have an inf file...

sigh, getting x264 to work is extremely frustrating...
    Last edited by GradationAir; 29th May 2013 at 21:40.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I uninstalled x264vfw and verified that it no longer showed up in VirtualDub. I then installed a recent build of x264vfw simply by double clicking on the installer exe. After that x264vfw showed up in VirtualDub. That was the 32 bit version of x264vfw, the 32 bit version of VirtualDub, under 64 bit Windows 7.

I tried both Komisar's build and MasterNobody's build. Both worked.
    http://komisar.gin.by/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I uninstalled x264vfw and verified that it no longer showed up in VirtualDub. I then installed a recent build of x264vfw simply by double clicking on the installer exe. After that x264vfw showed up in VirtualDub. That was the 32 bit version of x264vfw, the 32 bit version of VirtualDub, under 64 bit Windows 7.

I tried both Komisar's build and MasterNobody's build. Both worked.
    http://komisar.gin.by/
    Uninstalled and reinstalled with the link you gave me 2273kmodx86, still got nothing. I did manage to get avidemux work with avisynthing Lagarith though, that's a relief. I capture with Lagarith. I'd much prefer vdub though, it's such a pity.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you exit and restart VirtualDub? It only enumerates codecs on startup.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you exit and restart VirtualDub? It only enumerates codecs on startup.
    Exited everytime I do something with installations to x264. Even restarted pc once.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    x264vfw is light version of x264. Do not use this codec.

And try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi GradationAir,

Download this version: http://komisar.gin.by/old/2273/x264vfw.2273kMod.x86_64.exe

Install in default directory: C:\Program Files\x264vfw64\

Open RUN, type regedit and tap ENTER

Find the local in photo and config like:

Name:	ULIBFeT.jpg
Views:	6949
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	18089

If not exist key, make this, name it and load default path (C:\PROGRA~1\X264VF~1\X264VF~1.DLL).

Close Regedit, open Virtualdub and check.

Claudio

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have x264 installed as part of K-lite but if any x264 VFW is installed you should have a start menu X264 configuration item:
    Name:  ScreenHunter_08 May. 30 11.12.jpg
Views: 15639
Size:  11.5 KB
    This will let you configure the codec. Mine looks likes this and works: check your settings.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 30 11.08.jpg
Views:	12069
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	18098
    My codecs were are not listed in the registry as above and still work. Careful with changing registry entries unless necessary.
    The actual codec is x264vfw.dll as noted below and shown in Virtualdub. Make sure it is installed and registered.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 30 10.46.jpg
Views:	13084
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	18099
    There are also several threads on the internet that mention uninstalling Virtualdub and codec packs and doing a fresh install. The latest x264VFW used in K-lite Mega pack is revision 2274. I am not advocating installing the mega pack but only as a reference to the latest commercially used version of x264VFW. This can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/. This file is an EXE file, I believe, and should be run as Administrator.

You can also encode with VirtualDub Beta versions 1.10.3+ versions with external encoders. This is simple and I have a script to import that has MP4, FLV, and Mpeg2 already set up. If you need this please PM me and I can send instructions.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 30 11.40.jpg
Views:	12190
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	18100

Note for anyone interested: If you ever find you cannot run installs such as right clicking an INF file as administrator, I find it easier to just log out and back in as the actual user administrator and run it again. Yes, there are other tricks to install them but they do not always work in Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Hikmet View Post
    x264vfw is light version of x264. Do not use this codec.
    And try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/
    I have.

Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Hi GradationAir,

Download this version: http://komisar.gin.by/old/2273/x264vfw.2273kMod.x86_64.exe

Install in default directory: C:\Program Files\x264vfw64\

Open RUN, type regedit and tap ENTER

Find the local in photo and config like:

[Attachment 18089 - Click to enlarge]

If not exist key, make this, name it and load default path (C:\PROGRA~1\X264VF~1\X264VF~1.DLL).

Close Regedit, open Virtualdub and check.

Claudio

The reg key is actually there are correct too, but on my 64bit vdub I can't see it.

Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    I have x264 installed as part of K-lite but if any x264 VFW is installed you should have a start menu X264 configuration item:
    [Attachment 18097 - Click to enlarge]

This will let you configure the codec. Mine looks likes this and works: check your settings.
    [Attachment 18098 - Click to enlarge]

My codecs were are not listed in the registry as above and still work. Careful with changing registry entries unless necessary.
    The actual codec is x264vfw.dll as noted below and shown in Virtualdub. Make sure it is installed and registered.
    [Attachment 18099 - Click to enlarge]

There are also several threads on the internet that mention uninstalling Virtualdub and codec packs and doing a fresh install. The latest x264VFW used in K-lite Mega pack is revision 2274. I am not advocating installing the mega pack but only as a reference to the latest commercially used version of x264VFW. This can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/. This file is an EXE file, I believe, and should be run as Administrator.

You can also encode with VirtualDub Beta versions 1.10.3+ versions with external encoders. This is simple and I have a script to import that has MP4, FLV, and Mpeg2 already set up. If you need this please PM me and I can send instructions.
    [Attachment 18100 - Click to enlarge]

Note for anyone interested: If you ever find you cannot run installs such as right clicking an INF file as administrator, I find it easier to just log out and back in as the actual user administrator and run it again. Yes, there are other tricks to install them but they do not always work in Windows 7.
    I have the codec settings, it's just that vdub can't read it for some reason.

In any case... updating klite mega seemed to make it work! Thanks everyone for the great help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think what Budman was trying to say was with the newer versions of Virtualdub with the external encoder feature, there is no reason to even use x264vfw. Putting x264 in an avi container isn't the right way to go, especially if you can create an x264 mp4 or mkv with the same program using the x264 command line encoder.

There are guides on the Virtualdub forum showing step by step instructions on how to use the feature and a few Virtualdub users here who are willing to help. I know people rag on XP users for refusing to use Windows 7 or 8 but those same people have been using Virtualdub for years and refuse to learn all the features that this program has to offer.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I think what Budman was trying to say was with the newer versions of Virtualdub with the external encoder feature, there is no reason to even use x264vfw. Putting x264 in an avi container isn't the right way to go, especially if you can create an x264 mp4 or mkv with the same program using the x264 command line encoder.

There are guides on the Virtualdub forum showing step by step instructions on how to use the feature and a few Virtualdub users here who are willing to help. I know people rag on XP users for refusing to use Windows 7 or 8 but those same people have been using Virtualdub for years and refuse to learn all the features that this program has to offer.
    I was responding to his comment about him asking that he has codec settings which I respond that I also have.

I'd go for the external encoder if I didn't fix my problem already with my klite update. For your information I've also read online often before making this post, which is how I am able to find an alternative solution being using avidemux+avisynth. Reason I joined this late was because I always think thrice before wanting to ask, I always do my research, but not many topics regarding getting vfw on vdub which I prefer and any none of topics mentioned external encoding only in the experimental vdub versions(which I didn't use).

I'm not exactly sure why you're attacking me as if I'm some kind of ignorant person but I suppose nothing I can do to change your mind.
    Last edited by GradationAir; 31st May 2013 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody is attacking you. Just pointing out (as Budman was) that there is another option to achieve x264 in Virtualdub and that Budman, myself and many others are willing to help if you want to learn how to use the external encoder feature. At one time, x264vfw was the only way to achieve this but now there is a better option.

The external encoder feature has been out in a stable release (1.9.11) since December 2010. If you google, you can find a download with all the plugins already in the plugins folder. Budman's 1.10.3 with up to date plugins and his encoder sets already in a vdprof file might be better though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Can I come back to this old thread
    I have been having similar problems as reported above.
    I have x264vfw installed and working OK on my Win7 Home Premium OS Netbook but it is not seen by Virtualdub on my new Win7 Pro Desktop
    I really would like to get this working
    I have tried 4 different versions of x264vfw and several VD versions but to no avail.
    Checking installed Codecs using WMP, it does not show up on the list there
    The problem seems to be that it is not installed properly on Win7 Pro and this is why VirtualDub does not find it-
    This is supported by the fact that in my Win7 Pro Registry in HKEY-USERS at some point the FriendlyName is blank, rather than "x264 - H.264//MPG-4 AVC codec" as on my Netbook.
    Unfortunately, patching this in does not solve the problem as I initially hoped. However this does suggest that it did not install properly and there is some other Registry problem
    Can anyone with more experience than myself, suggest further action to remedy the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't help you there but I recommend everyone with Windows 7 and Windows 8 to install this program to the right click menu. It will allow you to take control of your operating system instead of having to jump through hoops to try and get Windows to allow you to do anything. Windows 7 sucked for me until I found this program.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-clic...menu-in-vista/

http://cdn8.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/TakeOwnership.zip
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    32-bit codecs cannot work under 64-bit Windows. Check your codec...
    Quote Quote  
  20. 32 bit codecs work just fine under 64 bit Windows -- but only 32 bit programs can access them. The 32 bit and 64 bit A/V systems in 64 bit Windows are completely separate. 32 bit programs can only use 32 bit components. 64 bit programs can only use 64 bit components.

Look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc

Does x264vfw show up there?
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Sep 2014 at 05:46.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for comments. I have now solved it.
    There seems to be a problem with the installation on Win7 Pro, even though it had worked for me on my Netbook (Win7 Home Premium).

I am not an expert in these matters and therefore somewhat reluctant to play around with the Registry, so took the precaution of creating a Restore Point and backing up the Registry first

One problem was that one key is incorrect.
    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-532525920-2241981625-3619547897-1000\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum\{33D9A 760-90C8-11D0-BD43-00A0C911CE86}\x264]
    "FriendlyName"=""
    this is blank but should be "x264vfw-H264/MPEG-4/AVC codec"
    I patched this in but that alone did not solve the problem

I noticed that under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    there is "vidc.x264"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\x264vfw\\x264vfw.dll"
    i.e. it points to the dll file where it was installed in Program Files (x86) not in a Windows Folder, as are other codecs.
    Whilst this works on my Netbook, maybe Permissions or something else are different on Win7Pro

So I copied x264vfw.dll into both Windows System32 and SYSWOW64 folders, to be sure
    then edited the "vidc.x264 value to just x264vfw.dll ( where the file is now in the windows folder ).
    Low and behold, Virtuldub sees it.

I guess the same thing may happen on Win8Pro

Added later when found text above displaying incorrectly - Preview shows correct text but published text always shows incorrectly
    Hopefully this should clarify things to avoid confusion.
    Program6) above should read Program Files (x86)
    Perhaps Moderator can explain this.
    Last edited by PhilVideo; 14th Oct 2014 at 04:01. Reason: To correct text, which always shows incorrectly
    Quote Quote  
  22. Nice bit of sleuthing. Although not all Win7 Pro users have the problem your instructions should help the next person how does.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Interesting what you say re some Win7 Pro users not having this problem and slightly worrying. If my configuration is in some way non-standard then I might expect problems elsewhere.
    I am not aware of anything that I have done with my very-new PC to make it non-standard. My A/C has Administrator rights.
    So, although I have solved this problem, I am left a little puzzled.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PhilVideo View Post
    So I copied x264vfw.dll into both Windows System32 and SYSWOW64 folders, to be sure
    ... that the wrong one may crash the system. No, kidding ... but it should not be necessary at all; and on a 64-bit Windows, a 32-bit DLL in the system32 directory is certainly wrong.

Well. So much effort for riding a dead horse. VfW is a relic from times possibly even before some of our readers were born. The x264vfw codec neither exposes all options nor provides the full possible speed of a 64-bit process you could use with the x264 CLI encoder and avs4x26x, or MeGUI as user interface with mouse pointer support.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks for comments
    I'll remove the dll from the System32 folder and just leave it in the SysWOW32 folder, which should do the trick.
    Whilst I appreciate what you say about the x264vfw codec being old (like me), I have put a lot of effort into configuring Virtualdub for my needs and have quite a few Scripts to use in Batch Assistant, which are based on x264vfw.
    For my final encoding of a video, produced from many clips, I find that this codec ( with a Bit rate of only 1MBPS) produced excellant quality and a small file.
    So, I will stick with what I know for my videos, whilst I get on with other, really more important, things.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Well, alright, do what works for you and produces satisfying results.

From version 1.10.x on, VirtualDub supports external EXE encoders and multiplexers too, though, so I would like to recommend to you trying to use this technique; it shouldn't be too hard to stream the audio to NeroAacEnc or QAAC, the video to x264, and finally multiplex the temporary results to e.g. MP4 (rather than AVI which is not useful for AVC content) using MP4Box or L-SMASH.

If you don't mind some german parts, you may find this summary helpful.

In addition, you better don't rely on bitrates too much. Different material (e.g. quiet nature documentaries vs. fast-paced action movies) requires different limits. Use bitrates only if you need to fill media with limited capacity; if you have plenty of space (external harddisks are very common in this decade), better choose a CRF value which will limit the quality loss, compared to the original.

Just a recommendation. Your decision.
    Quote Quote