VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Video shot by my camcorder in 1080p, about 22.2 mbps bit rate, audio 256kbps 48.0 AC3.

I process it in a video editing software, add transitions, etc.

Questions for output--of course, to make a blu-ray disc, I would keep the resolution at 1080p.

Some questions re playback on my laptop though, a fairly powerful one (Core i7), 16GB RAM, SSD, 12" screen.

The laptop's screen resolution (IPS) is 1366x768. Of course that cannot really show 1080p video, correct, not enough pixels on the screen. Will it look just as good on the laptop if I create a video file for the laptop at 720p? Or should the 1080p version still look better, although the laptop does not really show that resolution?

What about output from laptop though? This laptop has both a VGA port and mini-display port. If I play the 1080p output from the laptop, connected to a HDTV with a mini-display port to HDMI adapter (and HDMI cable), will that send a 1080p signal to the TV, even though the laptop cannot display that resolution? Should that look as good as a blu-ray disc played on the TV?

Also, what about if the laptop is connected to a projector via the VGA port? Will that VGA port send the 1080p signal to the projector? (Although, I don't think there are many projectors these days that can really show 1080p?)

Different question, as I also have an Ipad 2 and Ipad Mini. I forget the resolutions on them, but I think nowhere near 1080p. If I were to put video on them originally 1080p, best to downsize to 720p first? Or will still somehow the higher res video look better, even though the device really cannot show that resolution, but downsizes it itself? And what about video out from an Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini? Will those output 1080p, even if they cannot display it?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. No need to create a 720p version. Your player should rescale the 1020p video for your screen.
    2. The minidisplay port will effectively send a hdmi signal to the tv. Same display as point 1 although the tv may natively display 1080p. You do not state this.
    2a. Will it look as good a blu-ray disk ?. No. But it will be close.
    3. No. The projector receives VGA. That is analog. You are sending analog throught the VGA.
    4. See point 1.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maikii View Post
    Also, what about if the laptop is connected to a projector via the VGA port? Will that VGA port send the 1080p signal to the projector? (Although, I don't think there are many projectors these days that can really show 1080p?)
    Although VGA is analogue, it should be capable of outputting 1080p. My laptop has VGA out but not HDMI and the native resolution of the screen is 1680x1050 pixels but when I connect my HDTV to it via VGA the screen resolution options increase to allow me to set it to 1980x1080 and the output is progressive. If the video display is capable of doing it, then it will as long as you switch to the alternative display.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies.

Let me see if I understand this. To reply to DB83's numbered points.

1. Yes, I know that my laptop will play the 1080p video, although it scales it down. I am wondering though, if one might get better quality by scaling down first (for instance, with a Handbrake encode), than having the computer/software do it on the fly. (I use VLC Media Player 2.06 for the media playback on the laptop.) Also, the video, as it comes from my camcorder is 1080p interlaced. VLC Media Player can set it to deinterlace during playback. But similarly, might it be better to deinterlace (and scale to 720p) the file first?

2. Are you saying that playing the 1080p through my laptop (whose display does not go to that high a resolution), outputted through the mini display port, that the video so outputted will be the same resolution as downsized on my laptop screen, not the original 1080p resolution of the video file? Not sure what you mean about the TV natively displaying 1080p. My HDTV (a recent model) is rated for 1080p, as I think almost all are these days.

3. Not sure what you mean about the VGA output. It certainly can show higher than what is described as VGA resolution, 640x480. Do you mean that being analog, it will not show a higher resolution than the computer screen shows? I think you said the same though, for the mini display port (if I understood correctly).

4. I guess the Ipad questions. Your reply is same as the laptop. As said, I have an Ipad 2 and Ipad Mini, which I believe, although different screen sizes, have the same resolution. (I forget what it is, but certainly less than 1080p.) However, they have different ports for TV Out. The Ipad 2 sends video out through the older 30 pin dock connector, which is I believe analog. I think, however, that the newer lightning port on the Ipad Mini sends out a digital signal. Would that digital signal be the original resolution (1080p), or still no higher than the Ipad Mini's screen? Also, I have two different tv out connector adapters for the mini. One is lightning to HDMI, the other is lightning to VGA. I would guess that the one to HDMI is all digital, while the one to VGA converts to analog? (As most projectors these days still don't have HDMI ports, likely one would have to use the VGA adapter with a projector.)

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. If you scale it down you must re-encode. If you re-encode you risk losing quality. Your call.
    1a. The correct term is 1080i. Convert that to 1080p or 720p and you lose quality/definition. Your call.
    2. There are many tv's that have a native resolution of less than 1920*1080. They can still display 1080p but are strictly not full HD sets.
    3. As stated, VGA can have a greater resolution than 640*480 but we are not talking about that. It depends on what the projector can receive and output.
    4. covered by answers 1 - 3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by db83
    2. There are many tv's that have a native resolution of less than 1920*1080. They can still display 1080p but are strictly not full HD sets.
    I know this is off topic slightly but I can't display 1080p on my set thats 1080i (native 1366x768).

I get nothing if I set my ps3 to 1080p. Its fine if I set it to 1080i or 720p.

Just an fyi - oh and its a 32" westinghouse about 5 years old now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @yoda313

You may well be right there. When, here in the UK, we were switching from analogue to digital, a whole raft of tvs came to the market that were marked 'HD ready'. However, these sets were 720p although the native resolution was higher.

This is not relevant to the OP since he now claims the video from the camera is 1080i and not as the topic says 1080p.

What I would ask, to be sure, is that he posts a mediainfo report of a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by maikii View Post

Different question, as I also have an Ipad 2 and Ipad Mini. I forget the resolutions on them, but I think nowhere near 1080p. If I were to put video on them originally 1080p, best to downsize to 720p first? Or will still somehow the higher res video look better, even though the device really cannot show that resolution, but downsizes it itself? And what about video out from an Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini? Will those output 1080p, even if they cannot display it?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    you can use adapter VGA to HDMI, but not sute they provide a best-great quality of 1080p
    Check your iPad model, info or download monitor app on appstore, everything will be awesome
    Last edited by PlanetMyHero; 28th Jun 2013 at 17:26.
    Quote Quote