VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

My Samsung laptop (NP300E5C) does not have a firewire port which is required by my Canon optura 300 Mini DV camcorder. Earlier my old laptop had a firewire port and had not issues capturing the video. However since the new laptop did not had firewire port I purchases a firewire to USB cable and was expecting to capture the video without any problem however my laptop is not recognizing the device.

I tried looking for a driver for canon and also did lots of google to look for solution but didnt find any solution.

Please help I have to take backups.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is not a driver issue. Quite simply, firewire-to-usb adapters will not work with camcorders. Find another computer with a firewire port to do your captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another thread that would have been avoided with a simple search of "firewire to usb" (with quotes), on this site!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Decent point Scott, but I do understand how the OP probably thought "Why would they even make a firewire to USB adapter if it couldn't do this?".

shaileng - It's almost impossible to find a recent laptop with a firewire port. Even Apple, who invented it, has abandoned the technology. If you had a desktop you could simply add a firewire card to it. This is one of the many examples of the limitations of laptops. Consumers like to believe that laptops have no flaws, but the inability to add functionality to them is one of the big ones.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately I do not have desktop (for adding firewire card) neither my laptop has firewire port or ability to add PCMCIA slot. Now what I understand is that its not possible to convert from firewire to USB.

Is there a device that enables this ? Something like it will have builtin firewire support or something or the only option is to get a machine with firewire support ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there were some reports this device could input over 1394 and output through usb - Pinnacle Studio MovieBox HD - but it's no longer made or supported. it was about $100, never had one so i can't confirm it worked.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote