VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    How i can add? , or tell me a good program to put the at the video the subs...
    I tried avidemux but when i load the subs the subs has start from the begin , i had to pan croop the video in sony vegas and cut begins etc...so i load it to avidemux and add the subs...but the subs are start from start of episode and the audio disspear when i put the video in avidemux
    #Sorry for my bad english
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why don't you hard sub the video in avidemux first , then edit in vegas ? This way you preserve the timing of the subs

Or you can use virtualdub, xvid4psp, tencoder, many options to hardsub . Search for guides on how to "hardsub videos" there should be step by step guides with screenshots

Use a lossless intermediate (e.g. FFV1 or Huffyuv) to reduce quality loss (huge filesizes, but just temporary)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why don't you hard sub the video in avidemux first , then edit in vegas ? This way you preserve the timing of the subs

Or you can use virtualdub, xvid4psp, tencoder, many options to hardsub . Search for guides on how to "hardsub videos" there should be step by step guides with screenshots

Use a lossless intermediate (e.g. FFV1 or Huffyuv) to reduce quality loss (huge filesizes, but just temporary)
    Well , if i add the subs first in avidemux , then go at sony vegas and edit them , the subs will disspear after i zoom the video
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ahh, you never mentioned zoom in, that makes sense

I don't know of anyway to hardsub a "transparent" background video in avisynth (RGB32), alpha channel only , because that would be ideal to use as an overlay track in vegas (or other NLE)

EDIT:

Actually there is a way using masksub() in avisynth (comes with newer versions of vsfilter.dll)

e.g

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    MaskSub("subtitles.srt" , width, height, framerate, framecount)
    FlipVertical()
    Render out with a RGBA lossless format e.g. UT Video Codec - RGBA (ULRA) , or lagarith with RGBA enabled , and it will render the subs on a transparent overlay which can be used in a NLE like vegas , premiere etc... . And you don't necessarily have to render it out, you can use avisynth virtual file system (avfs) as another option

You can use SSA, ASS subs, and it will retain fancy fonts, effects etc....

If you are doing this in vegas, you have to interpret the alpha channel - right click on the clip => properties => alpha channel => select straight (unmatted)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 21st May 2013 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ahh, you never mentioned zoom in, that makes sense

I don't know of anyway to hardsub a "transparent" background video in avisynth (RGB32), alpha channel only , because that would be ideal to use as an overlay track in vegas (or other NLE)

EDIT:

Actually there is a way using masksub() in avisynth (comes with newer versions of vsfilter.dll)

e.g

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    MaskSub("subtitles.srt" , width, height, framerate, framecount)
    FlipVertical()
    Render out with a RGBA lossless format e.g. UT Video Codec - RGBA (ULRA) , or lagarith with RGBA enabled , and it will render the subs on a transparent overlay which can be used in a NLE like vegas , premiere etc... . And you don't necessarily have to render it out, you can use avisynth virtual file system (avfs) as another option

You can use SSA, ASS subs, and it will retain fancy fonts, effects etc....

If you are doing this in vegas, you have to interpret the alpha channel - right click on the clip => properties => alpha channel => select straight (unmatted)
    Hmm...listen to me what i want : i dowloand some episode with subs at it , after i zoom the video in sony vegas the subs are disspear (i cut begins , etc) after that i want to add .ASS subs file , but i want to subs to start from where i begin the video , the subs are started by begin of episode where i already cut it...
    Sorry for my bad english
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Legendd View Post
    Hmm...listen to me what i want : i dowloand some episode with subs at it , after i zoom the video in sony vegas the subs are disspear (i cut begins , etc) after that i want to add .ASS subs file , but i want to subs to start from where i begin the video , the subs are started by begin of episode where i already cut it...
    Sorry for my bad english

That's why you have to add the subs to the entire video duration (before you edit and cut sections off) , otherwise the timing will be off

Either that, or manually edit and re-sync the subs after exporting from vegas (harder, more work to do)

With that method above in post #4, it generates a transparent background overlay video, so it doesn't matter if you zoom into the video, because the subtitles overlay is "on top" of the zoomed in video and will look the same regardless of zoom or crop or anything .(Place it on a track above your video)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Legendd View Post
    Sorry for my bad english

That's why you have to add the subs to the entire video duration (before you edit and cut sections off) , otherwise the timing will be off

Either that, or manually edit and re-sync the subs after exporting from vegas (harder, more work to do)

With that method above in post #4, it generates a transparent background overlay video, so it doesn't matter if you zoom into the video, because the subtitles overlay is "on top" of the zoomed in video and will look the same regardless of zoom or crop or anything .(Place it on a track above your video)
    So you mean to add the subs first in avidemux , then i go at sony vegas i croop the video the original subs will be disspear , and the subs from avidemux will be ok ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Legendd View Post
    So you mean to add the subs first in avidemux , then i go at sony vegas i croop the video the original subs will be disspear , and the subs from avidemux will be ok ?

Nope - add the subs in vegas as an overlay layer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM

I make Alpha Channel (unmatted) and by overlay layer you mean Track Motion ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Legendd View Post

No , you make a "video" of the subs. You hardcode the subs on a transparent video , so only the subs show. You can see the video "underneath" the subs because of transparency (alpha channel)

You put the transparent video with subs on top of the original video in vegas . That way, the timing is preserved. If you cut 20 seconds off the beginning, you can cut 20 seconds off both tracks so it stays in sync. If you zoom in the video track, the subs will still show (because it's a separate track, and you don't zoom in the sub track)

You need to use avisynth for this method with masksub() . You need to learn how to use basic avisynth

1) install avisynth

2) create an avs script to open your video, it will be similar to the one above. You need to fill in the framerate, framecount , all those variables listed above .

3) Open the .avs script in vdub, Export it as an AVI video with ut video codec RGBA

4) Open that AVI in vegas, put it on a track above the video layer . Interpret the overlay video alpha channel in vegas as described above
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM

No , you make a "video" of the subs. You hardcode the subs on a transparent video , so only the subs show. You can see the video "underneath" the subs because of transparency (alpha channel)

You put the transparent video with subs on top of the original video in vegas . That way, the timing is preserved. If you cut 20 seconds off the beginning, you can cut 20 seconds off both tracks so it stays in sync. If you zoom in the video track, the subs will still show (because it's a separate track, and you don't zoom in the sub track)

You need to use avisynth for this method with masksub() . You need to learn how to use basic avisynth

1) install avisynth

2) create an avs script to open your video, it will be similar to the one above. You need to fill in the framerate, framecount , all those variables listed above .

3) Open the .avs script in vdub, Export it as an AVI video with ut video codec RGBA

4) Open that AVI in vegas, put it on a track above the video layer . Interpret the overlay video alpha channel in vegas as described above
    Sorry im a newbie i use sony vegas pro 11 from 2-3 months...can i have some tutorial via video? i think will help me more
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM

1) install avisynth

Sorry im a newbie i use sony vegas pro 11 from 2-3 months...can i have some tutorial via video? i think will help me more
    Hmm you can also do like that : Pan croop the full episode , render it load it in avidemux , put the subs , render it again , put in vegas , and render it again LOL but when i load the episode in avidemux the sound disspear lol , is some settings?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Legendd View Post
    Hmm you can also do like that : Pan croop the full episode , render it load it in avidemux , put the subs , render it again , put in vegas , and render it again LOL but when i load the episode in avidemux the sound disspear lol , is some settings?

LOL , I suppose it should work that way too . Try uncompressed audio in vegas before the avidemux step

In the avidemux step, you can import the audio from original file. Audio=> select track => in the drop down menu , add audio track

Sorry, I don't have time to make a video tutorial for the masksub() , vegas overlay method
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM

LOL , I suppose it should work that way too . Try uncompressed audio in vegas before the avidemux step

In the avidemux step, you can import the audio from original file. Audio=> select track => in the drop down menu , add audio track

Sorry, I don't have time to make a video tutorial for the masksub() , vegas overlay method
    I will try thanks for help
    Quote Quote  
  15. Vegasaur extension for Sony Vegas allows to import SRT file and create hard subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by altarvic View Post
    Vegasaur extension for Sony Vegas allows to import SRT file and create hard subtitles
    So with vegasaur i can add .ASS subs?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    No, only SRT
    And if i pan croop / zoom the video the subs will disspear?
    Quote Quote  
  18. You can zoom your video as you need, Vegasaur generates standard text events on top of your video track.
    It has free 30-day trial period, so you can check it for yourself
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    You can zoom your video as you need, Vegasaur generates standard text events on top of your video track.
    It has free 30-day trial period, so you can check it for yourself
    I mean when i put the SRT file on vegasaur the SRT will be at video track? and give some dowloand link thanks cheers
    Quote Quote