VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Longtime reader / first time poster, hope someone can help me with this mess:

I want to edit a bunch of FLV files (h264 Mpeg4 part 10 AVC 1), can't import them into Premiere CS6 though (not supported).
    There is a plugin for Premiere, but it won't work for CS 6.
    So it leaves me with the option of converting them into an uncompressed (re-compression is not an option) format first.
    I'm on a PC, and tried tons of garbage software that left me unsatisfied.
    I ended up with Sorenson Squeeze to do a conversion to an uncompressed AVI. It came out with an RGB-RAW Codec, which is... *drumroll*... not supported by Premiere Pro (the PRO in Premiere PRO stands for "PRObably in the next version" i guess, hehe, sorry, back to topic)
    I installed other lossless codecs like Huffyuv and UTvideo, but they didn't show up in Sorenson squeeze, exporting as
    an uncompressed quicktime crashed the program.

Any helpful thoughts to the problem above are highly appreciated, and as a bonus question to the masters:
    What more or less professional "one for all" encoding software do people use these days besides Squeeze?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    virtualdub might work for you
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or sorenson sqeeze - editing - dnxhd - the lower bitrate is more than enough for flv
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-18_192635.png
Views:	4199
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	17937
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, aedipuss.

DnxHDs from Sorenson Squeeze is not an option as it seems, it has the wrong framerate by default (Pal land here) and other settings that don't seem to be customizable, plus... it doesn't even start converting but gives me some error messages instead.

VirtualDub might be an option of last resort to convert the uncompressed avis to (differnet) uncompressed avis to get them into premiere somehow, i might have to give it a try, yepp.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another option is to re-wrap into MP4 e.g. using ffmpeg or ffmbc (or some GUI for ffmpeg)

You can batch re-wrap using the commandline or a .bat file, or even convert to something if you still wanted to re-encode (eg. ut video codec, huffyuv, prores if you're on a mac etc...)

e.g.

1) place copy of ffmpeg.exe in directory of videos to be re-wrapped

2) open a text file in notepad in the same directory as videos to be converted

3) copy & paste the following , save it, rename the .txt extension to .bat

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.flv") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vcodec copy -acodec copy %%~na.mp4
    pause
    4) double click the .bat

Try it out on a couple of videos to see if they import ok with the re-wrap (re-wrapping just copies the audio & video into a new container, so same quality, almost the same filesize)

If you wanted instead to convert to UT Video and uncompressed audio (large filesizes, lossless compression), same thing, just substitute "-vcodec copy" with "-vcodec utvideo"

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.flv") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vcodec utvideo -acodec pcm_s16le %%~na.mp4
    pause
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 18th May 2013 at 20:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can convert your video to ProRes using TEncoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, Ozok, and thanks poisondeathray for the solution that works best for me, cheers mate!!! Wowser, never would have thought of that, amazingly fast and elegant, and clips work perfectly fine in Premiere.
    Case closed, have a great Sunday!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    USE the ROVI codec pack for Adobe Premiere!
    Quote Quote