VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good day all

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, please feel free to move admin.

I am looking at to D-SLR cameras. Lower end of the range, for taking photos, but with the intention of shooting 'behind scenes' footage (as they can do HD).

The two I am looking at currently are the Canon EOS 600D and the Sony Alpha A37. I know these are slightly dated, but this is because of where I am, and this helps keep the prices down.

All the searching I've done (and viewing on comparison sites) seems to point to the Sony performing better in lower light for video (and having autofocus, if ever needed) while the Canon seems to be the more popular. The Canon also comes with a additional lens.

Does anyone have experience with these two? Any pointers, comments, especially about video performance?

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't buy a DSLR as a video camera. It's not a video camera. It's a digital camera that happens to also shoot video.
    ....and that is what a DSLR is....and interchangeable-lens camera.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a lot of small film making company's are using D-slr for shooting (mind you very hi end dslr's)
    but if you want a lower end you cant go wrong with Nikon D3200 full review here. £530 in the uk currys with a 55-200 lense kit i have seen it for around £380 at some point.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200
    nikon Video Test
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200/17

CANON EOS 650D £730
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-650d-rebel-t4i
    Canon Video Test
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/15/Video-tests-of-the-Canon-EOS-650d-rebel-t4i-hy...tofocus-system
    Quote Quote  
  4. Because of your location, popularity becomes a more important factor than it might be in other countries. DSLRs should be viewed as consumer electronics instead of cameras: they have a tendency towards inexplicable breakdowns that are often related to things like mfr defects. If you should be unlucky enough to encounter this, you would want to own the camera brand with the best history of after-sales support in South Africa. If both Canon and Sony prove equal in this respect, you can choose based on the features, handling and performance you prefer. Otherwise, consider compromising in favor of whichever is the better-supported brand in South Africa.

You might also consider the second-hand market in your decision. Many people like to acquire previously-owned lenses and accessories in order to save money. If you think you might do this in future, check to see which brand has the most availability of used items in South Africa. I often see posts from people in your country complaining of how difficult it can be to find lenses and accessories in good condition at reasonable prices. If this is important to you, look at the secondary market before deciding between brands.

It is easy to say "go with the best-performing camera for your needs," but even here in USA people run into no end of problems with Canon, Nikon and Sony. Getting repair service in or out of warranty is often difficult and tedious, with each brand changing its attitude year to year. If you can talk to members of a local photography class or group, they could give you some insight on how well each brand is supported in South Africa.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Owned a Nikon D70 for years....never broke.
    Have owned a D90 for years, broke once and it was repaired by Nikon (Munich) completely free including all shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use dgital cameras for video recodring! They produce worse image quality!

The video quality means fine details shaprness , the real video-resolution (instead of the advertsed kontainer resolution)

A very good consumer camcorder can produce and reach 1100 * 1100 LW/PH real resultion in the 1920*1080 (Full HD) pixel container fromat, while a good digital camera can produce and reach only 600 x 600 or 700 x 600 LW/PH REAL resolution in its 1920*1080 container format... The result: more blury less sharpness and less fine details on the video image...

LW/PH means real resolution: widths per picture height.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What do you guys think of the upcoming Blackmagic d-Cinema camera? I'm seriously thinking of budgeting that in for this next year.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't say where you're located, but in the Cape http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/ is THE supplier and unparalleled for service. They're also a distributor; others with "good prices" like HiFi Corp actually source from Orms! Their pre-sales advice is also of the most unbiased and objective I've come across.

Cheers,
    Francois
    Quote Quote