VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to put hard coded subtitles on an MP4 with Xvid4psp. I have tried but the audio ends up being out of sync.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there no way to rectify the problem using xvid4psp?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try choose copy under audio encoding if you haven't done that already.

And try avoid any framerate conversion like 25fps to 24fps, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The MP4 is 24fps and x264. How do I check what frame rate is being used in xvid4psp? Sorry, I am new to this!

All I did last time was load the MP4, and the subtitles. I changed the format to MP4, and the video encoding was set to x264 Q21 HQ Film, and the audio was AAC-LCD VBR 0.45, I did not change these.

It ended up being out of sync.

I have checked the subtitles in VLC and WMP so I know that they do work correctly.

Is xvid4psp the best program to use to achieve the best quality, or is there a better program I could try?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by spike-e; 8th May 2013 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try choose copy under the audio encoding. It will just copy the audio track.

If that fail try the above tools.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, and how do I check frame rate being used in Xvid4psp? Just so I know for future reference...

I will try copying the audio track, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Under video->interlace/framerate. Open your video first and then check the framerate settings.

And I'm talking about xvid4psp 5. Not version 6 and above.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes It's version 5.10 that I have.

I shall try copying the audio and let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay so I tried copying the audio. I also checked the frame rate and the input and output frame rates matched. However the audio was still out of sync.

I have downloaded Freemake Video Converter, so I will try with that.

Is Freemaker good for quality? Obviously I realise there will be some loss of quality when hardcoding subtitles. I am using a 1080p MP4, and have set Freemaker to convert "same as source".

I was under the impression that Xvid4psp was the best for retaining quality, which is why it was my first choice.
    Last edited by spike-e; 10th May 2013 at 05:01.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did it work or same sync issues? Or too low quality?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm actually just converting it now, so I will let you know when it's finished.

I was just curious about which program was better for quality retention, or whether it just depends on the settings you chose.

I have not changed any settings on Freemaker, it was set to "same as source", as the source is 1080p. And 1-pass encoding was chosen, I understand this is better than 2-pass for overall quality, is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Okay so, I converted the MP4 using Freemake. However I accidentally encoded the full subtitles track onto it, rather than just the forced subtitles track that I wanted. And it worked fine, it was all in sync.

So I converted it again, with just the forced subtitles, and it's out of sync. So I'm starting to think somehow the .srt I'm using is making the audio and video un-sync. Is this possible?
    Last edited by spike-e; 10th May 2013 at 05:02.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Freemake is definitely a lot faster at converting than Xvid4psp!

Do they have a difference in quality? Or does it really depend on the settings you chose? Freemake seems to make a considerably larger file in comparison to Xvid4psp.

I'm going to source another .srt file and try that, I don't understand why a .srt would make the audio go out of sync, but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by spike-e; 10th May 2013 at 05:02.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi there, been hard at it with the subtitles, finally got it to work!

However I now have a new problem. I encoded a 1080p MP4 (using Xvid4psp) with hard code subtitles, which plays fine on my PC, but only plays audio on my PS3. Here are a few details from the encoding log;

Resolution: 1920x800
    Video Codec Preset: x264 Q21 HQ Film
    Video Codec: h264 > x264
    Video Bitrate 1982 > Q21.0

I used the same preset for the 720p file that I was using before with the subtitles. Any ideas what I can do to make the 1080p work on my PS3 (and my iPad too)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ps3 might not like the odd resolution. The ps3 is pretty strict on what it will and won't play. You should check the net for the exact file specs it can play. Also I don't know if you can get the same file to work on both a ps3 and an ipad. I don't have an ipad so I can say for certain.

You should try a small sample of a clip at the traditional 1920x1080 frame size and the ps3 might like that better. It might be throwing a tantrum at the odd size you are giving it.

And to be honest the ps3 is not that great of a video player for files. You should really look into a wdtv media player or similar unit. They can do soft subs and are much more versatile in what they can play back. Also they can read ntfs harddrives.

Just be careful of those streaming boxes like roku. They are not as versatile as a dedicated video file player like the wdtv. Read the specs of the file types the units can play before buying one.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've been able to play the same file on both my iPad and my PS3 in the past.

I'm not sure why it's such an odd resolution to be honest!

I'm fairly happy with using my PS3 as a media player, I've not really had any problems with it since I got it in 2008!

So you reckon I should re-encode at the usual 1920x1080?

What are your thoughts, Baldrick?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm not sure if it is the odd resolution that is causing the problem. I have a 1920x1032 file and a 1920x800 that will not show video on my PS3 or iPad.

I previously encoded a file with a resolution of 1280x536, which seems like a pretty odd resolution and that one works fine.

I also just used the standard MP4 preset on all 3 files, rather than the PS3 preset.

Any other ideas as to what could be the problem?
    Quote Quote