VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I have an mpeg4 video (H264 encoded, if that helps at all), which I want to convert to xvid so my dvd player will play it. So far no luck, but I'm not too knowledgable about settings and formats...
    The settings I used were MP4 container with Xvid video. I left all the other settings (on Mediacoder) alone as I don't have sufficient knowledge to tinker.
    No video was found by my divx compliant dvd player, but the thing plays fine on my laptop.
    Can some bright spark help me please? Preferably in layman's language..
    Best wishes
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your DVD player very likely doesn't support MP4 containers. Few do. Can you not just use an AVI container instead?

I would use Xvid4PSP for this kind of thing, but you'll have to dig up a guide on how to use it. It's somewhat complex for a newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I probably can. I just get confused about what's a video format and what's a container. So AVI is the container and Xvid is the video format and if I get those things right, might Divx compliant dvd player might just play ball, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. BUt it's best to choose a divx/xvid dvd player preset in your converter. In xvid4psp I guess it's avi hardware.

And this is not any dvd authoring. Moving you to our video conversion section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So - six hours waiting for handbrake to rip dvd to mp4. Great quality output. However, when I use Xvid4psp, it won't detect the file at all.

The file itself is just called 'file'.

Should I change the extension to .mp4 for it to be recognised? I've also tried another conversion program. Same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Choose all files(**) when opening it in xvid4psp.

Or rename it to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you. It's now open. All I have to do now is choose between about a dozen different xvid formats - ultra, extreme and versions of each. Can't seem to find a manual.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one area that I might recommend using the DivX Converter since it has presets to encode a DivX certified file to play on DivX certified players.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you for sound advice. I had downloaded divx but then uninstalled it because I thought it was a trial version. That was some plug in I think. It's encoding now. Will hope it'll play ok on my player.

The only slight worry is there is some kind of registration of your device in order to play videos, but I don't know if that's relevant because I'm just encoding from an mpeg that was ripped from vobs and bups etc.

Many thanks again. At last a simple program...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Has encoded but am not satisfied with quality - rather pixellated and not as good as original. Any tweaks?
    Quote Quote  
  11. This program has one purpose only... Xvid/DivX conversion of mpeg and DVD files. It will serve you well.

avi.NET
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supersadie View Post
    Has encoded but am not satisfied with quality - rather pixellated and not as good as original. Any tweaks?
    Divx Converter is a tool for idiots to use. I'm NOT calling you an idiot. Not at all. So don't get all bent out of shape. But you need to understand that it has almost no user settable options because it was designed to be overly simplistic so that morons could grasp how to use it and get useable video out of it. The mere fact that you're even here at all asking for help proves that you are well above the level of user the tool was designed for.

Divx used to have a program called Dr. Divx which had a lot of user settable options. I really liked it, but they made some changes to the encoder and abandoned it. It hasn't worked with a Divx release in years. It is possible to get other encoders to work with the Divx software but it's a lot of effort, far above what a newbie could or would even want to do. Honestly, you might as well use Xvid4PSP and encode to Xvid rather than do the work necessary to use Divx with another encoding program.

Enough of the history lesson. If you don't like the output then use a higher video bit rate as that's the only thing you can do with the limited options of Divx Converter to get better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes. Thanks for info. This is, of course, the problem with a little learning being a dangerous thing. I want good results but don't have the knowledge to change settings, hence the need to be pointed to the idiot's tool. I take no offence at your definition of the average DivX user. If it's a case of increased bitrate, I'll try that.

What would be ideal? I used 2000 when I ripped the dvd to mpeg, but I'm not sure if I need to repeat that or do something else. Without advice, one never knows whether a particular setting will alter quality or make the whole thing unreadable.

Advice on bitrate would be lovely. It's a film of dancers, if that helps.

Best wishes and thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are you using to rip your DVDs? In DVDFAB, you can choose to rip to one VOB with MPEG Passthrough. I wouldn't shrink the file at all. The worse the input is, the worse the output will be when you convert it.

You can right click on the output in the DivX Converter and raise the bitrate. For quality, I would use 4000 or you could use Virtualdub (now that you have the encoder installed) to set up the encoder. You used to be able to set up the encoder in the DivX Converter but I guess they really have dumbed it down (as if it wasn't dumbed down already)

Open Virtualdub and under "Video" choose "Compression". Click on "DivX 6.9.2 Codec" and click the "Configure" button. Under "Rate Control" at the bottom of the main page, in the drop down menu, choose 1-pass quality-based and set Target quantizer to 2 (or 1 for highest quality).

IMO, You would be better off learning to use Virtualdub. You wouldn't have to purchase the MPEG2 plugin when the trial expires and you would have a lot more control. You would need to download the mpeg2 plugin and place in the Plugins32 folder in Virtualdub to open MPEG2 (or VOBs) but the plugins are free.

The MPEG2 input plugin (and all the other input plugins) can be downloaded from here...

http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/

There are a lot of Virtualdub users here to help or you can visit the Virtualdub forums for help...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I may have figured this DivX Converter out. It's been a long time since I've used the converter. Choose "Home Theater Profile" and right click on the output window. Put a check mark next to "Limit file size" and in the drop down menu choose "8800 DVD-R DL". This will automatically raise the bitrate to the highest quality (4100).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks very much for help and advice. I finally got there after several frustrating days. So, what I did was
    1 rip the file to an mpeg (h264) using Handbrake and selecting 2 pass encoding and decombing to remove mouse teeth
    2 used DVDFlick to encode the mpeg to (whatever it is; it doesn't seem to say) and then burn the DVD. I just used the settings it proposed
    Result! DVD that plays on my DVD player and will hopefully play on my mum's.
    Hope this helps people like me who know what they want but not exactly how to find it.
    Best wishes
    Quote Quote