VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Have been capturing many old VHS tapes recently. Usually with success.

I'm using Canopus ACVC 110. Many years faithful service. VCR is a Panasonic NV-HS825. Again., no problems to speak of.

Today I've tried to capture an old tape (a commercial release) but it plays with with a dark, brown-ish tint which makes it unwatchable.

The tint disappears completely when you rewind or fast forward the tape, but returns instantly when you play.

I've uploaded a clip so you can see exactly what i mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGl8ncDDCgs&feature=youtu.be

Any ideas what might cause this? Is the tape screwed? Can anything be done?

It's all a bit frustrating because I bought the tape from ebay especially.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The tape is infested with a strong version of MacroVision copy protection, indicated by the multiple white squares at the top of the frame that are revealed during the FF search section of your sample. The dark murky image is what results when one attempts to digitize such protected commercial tapes. To work around this issue, you would need one of the old-school VHS filters or a TBC like the AVT-8710. In Europe, a variation of the AVT called the CBT-100 is easier to find, but the AVT is better. The cheap filter will work if you can find one in Europe, but like many things they were/are more common in the States.
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Apr 2013 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great advice. Thanks. I'll look into that. Anyone know where I might get such a device? Or if there's anything else I can do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. There may be some inexpensive VHS-specific "filters" or "correctors" available from UK electronics websites, but you will need to do a Google search and perhaps comb thru eBay.uk. Or, at a higher cost, you could go to Amazon.uk for the TBC or to several factory-direct filter suppliers with free shipping to UK, here, here or here. The Grex unit is currently the most well-known. You might also ask around to any friends who have already digitized their tapes: they may have such a device they could lend you, or perhaps someone owns the now-discontinued DataVideo TBC-100 accessory card that installs in your PC.
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Apr 2013 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote