VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Programs/Hardware/Equipment Used:
    Dazzle DVC 100
    Pinnacle Studio 14
    Sony Vegas Pro 12
    Japanese VHD Machine (not VHS, more like CED)

Here's what I've been doing, I'm capturing directly from a Japanese VHD (Video High Density) Machine (like a Laserdisc player, but relegated to Japan only), and I'm using the Dazzle DVC 100 to capture it into Pinnacle so I can edit it in Vegas. The machine is plugged into a stepdown converter since it was made for Japan's 100v power supply (not sure if this would make a difference).

When I capture it with the Pinnacle, it's black and white no matter what NTSC alternates I choose in AMCap. On the LCD TV, it shows up as 480i, so it is NTSC and SHOULD work since I am in the US. I plugged it up to my working CRT and it was also in black and white. I'm beginning to think the VHD machine is outputting PAL60 instead of legitimate NTSC video since it's for both 50/60hz.

Here's a link to what the capturing of the video looks like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thfpTBkieiQ

Anyone got any ideas? If it doesn't work on a working CRT tube tv, it can't be NTSC.. I really want to capture the footage onto a DVD so I won't have to worry about wearing out the stylus on the machine. Should I get one of those signal converters?

Thanks,
    Brannon
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unlike all other analog video systems, JVC designed the VHD Video Disc system to be dual-standard right from the beginning. All PAL and NTSC VHD players had the ability to play discs of other television standards. Thus, a PAL disc played on an NTSC player would play just as if it were an NTSC disc. The discs were coded for each countrys television system, but the player had the ability to recognize this and adjust the turntable speed, chroma carrier frequency and other parameters to enable compatible playback. With the addition of AHD audio playback, JVC envisioned a disc system capable of playing discs made anywhere in the world, which they felt, would help the system to become a world-wide video standard.
    http://disclord.tripod.com/vhddiscworld/id9.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. I read that earlier and it led me to believe it outputs PAL60 because both NTSC and PAL TV's should be able to support that format. But this machine was meant to be used on CRT tube tv's that were NTSC... and mine only shows a black and white image.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sounds like PAL60 to me. True NTSC displays (and capture devices) don't understand PAL chroma channels (PAL60 uses NTSC luma, PAL chroma). Does the player have any kind of PAL/NTSC output switch?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Should I get one of those PAL->NTSC signal converters? Or is there any type of capturing card that can support PAL60? There aren't any switches regarding what video type it outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There are some capture devices that support PAL60. There are lots of videos at Youtube that explain how to capture PAL60 with various capture cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My Hauppauge USB-Live2 can do PAL60(NTSC VHS tape through a PAL machine) with the latest WinTV software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

PM received, and answered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm using WinTV v7.0.30312 (CD2.6c) to capture PAL60. You need to delete the "channels" for the capture device, then reinstall the channels (NOT THE ENTIRE PROGRAM) to match the video system(PAL60, PAL, etc etc etc).

I will try to do a test tomorrow to see if it work with something free like DScaler.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the reply. I'm still lost because why would PAL color be associated with a video format from Japan, which should be NTSC-J. Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JawsTDS View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still lost because why would PAL color be associated with a video format from Japan, which should be NTSC-J. Anyone have any ideas?
    That player you have there is acting like a European VHS machine.
    An NTSC tape played through a these European PAL machines to a European TV displays them in color. That same scenario, but played through a TV in America will show up in Black and White.
    According to the literature of the day for those machines, those machines were supposed to output a signal that all TVs can read. Obviously that is not happening for some reason.
    A perfect black and white picture is a sign that the TV is not receiving a "true" NTSC or PAL signal.
    It's receiving a PAL60 or an NTSC 4.33 signal for some reason.
    Quote Quote