VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, so I load my AAC file and then in the Audio section hit Volume correction and Analysis.

I then get a reading of "Track Gain: +14.3" so how do I normalise this figure? Do I add this figure on to 89db? If do, the 14.3 goes up.

The Normalise Default setting is 89. Do I change that?

Very confused.
    Last edited by Greg2041; 25th Apr 2013 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on your audio...if you have a lot of movies with low volume audio tracks then you will have to increase the volume on all of them. Conversely, if you have, say, 2 low volume movies and one extremely loud one, then you want to hit a happy medium by raising the volume on the low volume tracks and lowering the volume on the loud track.

Normalizing just means changing the gain throughout the entire track. So, low volume sounds will have a higher volume and high volume sounds will have an even HIGHER volume. Now, when I change to my movie player, I don't want to be turning the volume up or down constantly.

What I do is make a movie clip. I adjust it to the right level for my player/TV. I have adjusted it to the terrestrial signal/program volume. In other words, when I switch between the ordinary TV channel and the movie player the volume is 'about' the same if two people are talking in a movie or I am listening to a newscast. This is my benchmark file ('Normalization_Clip.mp4'). And it 'sounded' good for me, at my preferred TV volume level, when I set it at 85dB. Now I have my setting: 85db

So, I set my level at 85db in Xmedia Recode. If I select all the files and click 'analysis' I get a reading for how much each file will change. It will be '+' or '-' something, or equal (0.0db).

It's all actually irrelevant. As long as you are happy with your benchmark setting (in my case I have a worked it out to be 85dB), then all the converted files will simply have their gain changed to the preferred level. Analysis of the files just provides you with the knowledge of how much the gain has changed, and in which direction (either louder or quieter). All you really have to know is that that they will be converted to 'sound' about the same levels at whatever benchmark you set.

I hope that's clear!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you. Yes, all clear. I have been playing about with some audio files and found something a little weird.

If I hit the analysis button it does show the gain + or - but strangely, even though it doesn't show it, it seems to automatically adjust it in the right direction.

Not pressing the analysis button results in a very different volume level. Very strange but I will use the analysis button from now on as that seems to match the original audio.

Thanks again.....

Greg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Each file is analyzed individually, or you can highlight them all at once (they turn blue when selected) and then they are batch analyzed, that is, all changed at once. But, it depends on what dB level you set initially. The levels will remain unchanged within the file unless the particular file is forced to change using the 'analysis' button (the level change is recorded by Xmedia and applied at the time of conversion).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ah. I shall continue to play. Seems to be a very, very good program.

Greg
    Quote Quote