VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Fairuse Wizard to convert my personal DVDs, however Fairuse wizard only allows me to output in AVI format, im guessing I have an old version but it was Free and I do like the fact that it is very User Friendly.

I've noticed that the most commonly used files now are MP4 and I am needing help finding a good software that converts to MP4, I have looked online, downloaded a few trial versions but they do not have the same features that I get with Fairuse wizard such as being able to preview the content before converting and applying the settings like the size of the file to output and the most important to me is being able to split the DVD rip into 4-6 different segments. For example I want to be able to convert a DVD at 1200MBPS and output 4 files of 300MPBS each.

This is very easy to do with Fairuse Wizard, are there any programs or software like it out there, ? I do not care if they are FREE or not as long as I am able to do what Fairuse Wizard allows me to do but convert to MP4. THank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why do you need to split it? For uploading? Why not use WinRAR? Who would want to view them out of sequence, anyway?

You can convert with Video to Video Converter and then manually split by hand, by time (40 minutes episode split every 10 minutes, say). Convert it first, then load the converted file, select 'Direct Stream Copy' and cut into clips (in 'Tools').
    Use the same program to join them back together.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Why do you need to split it? For uploading? Why not use WinRAR? Who would want to view them out of sequence, anyway?

You can convert with Video to Video Converter and then manually split by hand, by time (40 minutes episode split every 10 minutes, say). Convert it first, then load the converted file, select 'Direct Stream Copy' and cut into clips (in 'Tools').
    Use the same program to join them back together.
    Thank you, I dloaded Video to Video Converter which you suggested, I do not see where to select 'Direct Stream Copy' so I went ahead and did the conversion, it is currently going at about 16%, it is almost a 2HR DVD so i'm assuming it will take a while, so after its done im guessing that is where I go to <tools> and <split the files> ?

I do not know how good the quality output would be, it didnt give me an option to choose that or even the file size and I do not see where I can change that anywhere, under Quality it just says "Custom" is there a tutorial on how to use this software ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. After you select the video folder you are presented with a list of video profiles; where you selected MP4. Boxes on the right can be clicked and altered to any setting you choose. The last entry in that profiles list is 'Direct Stream Copy' (a blue icon) - use that when you have your MP4, then <Tools> (or right click on the file name). There is no option to set a specific file size. Other MP4 converters can, not this one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. After extensive research (about 10 minutes on Google), Xilisoft Video Editor seems to fit the bill for sectioning by MB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for taking the time to do that, I've done some more research myself, Handbrake seems like a good option as well although a bit more complex than most other converters but I'm sure I will learn as I go along. I will check out Xilisoft as well. Hope they have a Free version.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use Fairuse Wizard. I discontinued using it in favour of Vidcoder, which is essentially a user-friendly front-end for Handbrake, about a year ago. Vidcoder outputs MP4, does everything Fairuse does in terms of setting filesize (if you want, personally I use constant quality settings instead) and a preview window with cropping etc. IMHO it is both significantly faster than Fairuse, and produces higher quality output.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    I used to use Fairuse Wizard. I discontinued using it in favour of Vidcoder, which is essentially a user-friendly front-end for Handbrake, about a year ago. Vidcoder outputs MP4, does everything Fairuse does in terms of setting filesize (if you want, personally I use constant quality settings instead) and a preview window with cropping etc. IMHO it is both significantly faster than Fairuse, and produces higher quality output.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for and I did a test encoding with amazingly high quality!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally like handbrake better than vidcoder ... especially since I'm using linux now ... but I wouldn't argue the point.

Just be sure you set it to high profile and enable 8x8 DCT for a start. And don't be afraid to research some of the more advanced h.264 options. They will slow down the encoding quite a bit, but that's where the real quality is.

The problem with "fast, easy" encoders is that they try to hide that stuff. And then if you try to use it, or need to, they become harder to use than the ones you thought were harder before.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I personally like handbrake better than vidcoder ... especially since I'm using linux now ... but I wouldn't argue the point.

Just be sure you set it to high profile and enable 8x8 DCT for a start. And don't be afraid to research some of the more advanced h.264 options. They will slow down the encoding quite a bit, but that's where the real quality is.

The problem with "fast, easy" encoders is that they try to hide that stuff. And then if you try to use it, or need to, they become harder to use than the ones you thought were harder before.
    After using and trying both softwares the past few months I agree with you, Handbrake is amazing and the best out there!
    Quote Quote  
  11. At this moment in time, there is no tool I would recommend for ripping DVDs to MP4/264. I have been testing two of the best tools which come close: Handbrake and Xmedia Recode. Handbrake suffers audio video sync issues (tried many DVDs), and Xmedia suffers with program crashes when dealing with subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by portal2 View Post
    At this moment in time, there is no tool I would recommend for ripping DVDs to MP4/264. I have been testing two of the best tools which come close: Handbrake and Xmedia Recode. Handbrake suffers audio video sync issues (tried many DVDs), and Xmedia suffers with program crashes when dealing with subtitles.
    I don't think thats a handbrake issue, I think its an issue with your computer. Perhaps you need more horesepower or ram? I have converted probably hundreds of DVD's with handbrake to MP4 and not a single one has sync issues. I also still use Handbrake version 0.9.5 since that version lets you do a single pass encode and select output file size. I'm pretty sure every version that only lets you choose file size on a 2 pass encode.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Originally Posted by portal2 View Post
    At this moment in time, there is no tool I would recommend for ripping DVDs to MP4/264. I have been testing two of the best tools which come close: Handbrake and Xmedia Recode. Handbrake suffers audio video sync issues (tried many DVDs), and Xmedia suffers with program crashes when dealing with subtitles.
    I don't think thats a handbrake issue, I think its an issue with your computer. Perhaps you need more horesepower or ram? I have converted probably hundreds of DVD's with handbrake to MP4 and not a single one has sync issues. I also still use Handbrake version 0.9.5 since that version lets you do a single pass encode and select output file size. I'm pretty sure every version that only lets you choose file size on a 2 pass encode.
    I've tried it on 2 different computers - I get around 50fps for Main profile 4.1 with default settings.
    Xmedia encodes them perfectly - it's just it can't handle subtitles.
    Quote Quote