VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

I have a bluray movie that I downloaded and the actual size of the BDMV folder is 59gb. Is there any program out there to shrink this to 50GB? I know about re builder, but I want to shrink it to fit on a blank 50GB BD-r DL disc.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    2 things:

1) you did not download a blu-ray movie, in this forum we pretend that piracy does not exist and we do not discuss downloading full blu-ray movies...unless you pm me with the link where i can download it as well

on a more serious note, i have a bunch of single layer and dual layer blu-rays and i have never seen any movie that is larger than 50gb.

what i'm saying is that if you really do have a BDMV folder that is larger than 50gb, the actual movie is probably way less than 50gb (i think The Avengers is only 30gb), so you should be able to remove the extra video files, keep the main movie and re-author the blu-ray for burning to BD50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only BluRay movies I've ever heard of being more than 50 GB were some 3D films. This may also possibly be happening due to seemless branching. Since the size is technically incorrect, you can try using the free BD Rebuilder and see if it can handle it correctly, but I can't guarantee you anything. You can set a custom size in BD Rebuilder so if you set it for about 49 GB it might be able to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I certainly do apologize If I did break any rules. I will do as you suggested though. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to you as well jman98!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is no such thing as an actual 59gb BluRay......
    PERIOD!!!

It does not exist!!!!
    PERIOD!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Clam down Noahtuck. We've had myriads of reports of similar BD rips that were too big to be accurate. The biggest I can remember being reported was something approaching 90 GB. You're a veteran here. Surely you know that some DVD rips have deliberately broken sectors that cause things like rips that are 50 GB or more if you don't rip with the right tool. The OP didn't tell what he ripped with. Nobody is disputing that the rip is wrong, but you act like such rips aren't possible. There's a lot of reports that they are. Are you really willing to argue that bad sector copy protection similar to what DVDs use is impossible on BluRays? Or that seemless branching can't cause an inaccurate rip with some lower quality rippers?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LOL!!!
    I am calm.....

I am so calm I could give Gandhi lessons!!
    LOL!!

The point I was making, in clear specific terms was, there is no such thing as a Bluray larger than 50gb!!
    Just because some software or Windows say's it is larger, does not make it so

Like when people say they ripped a dvd of episode's of a dvd and it/some program shows more than double what a DL dvd can hold...
    I am not new, I was just pointing out a fact!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    A 3D blu ray will be twice as big if ripped to folder. For example a 45GB disc will be 45GB if ripped to ISO or 90GB if ripped to the folder structure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should specify that there are no blu-ray movies over 50gb since there are blu-ray discs than hold up to 100 and 128gb(3 and 4 layer blu-ray).
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You should specify that there are no blu-ray movies over 50gb since there are blu-ray discs than hold up to 100 and 128gb(3 and 4 layer blu-ray).
    really? can a standard BD Rewriter read/write one of these discs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not a "standard" BD reader/writer, but a BD reader/writer that supports TL (triple layer) or QL (quad layer) via the "BDXL" spec.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    really? can a standard BD Rewriter read/write one of these discs?
    Some newer blu-ray burners can updated with new firmware to write these discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    You are quite correct. The OP mentioned a movie of 59GB which could possibly be explained by a rip to folder and then creating an ISO from that. I didn't want to get into the .ssif "pointers" and such as I not an expert at this and didn't want to give erroneous info. Merely wanted to point out that there was a possible logical explanation for a 59GB movie.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Show me one, just one retail pressed or commercially available bluray that is larger than 50gb.....
    Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't.....

Or then again maybe people just want to nitpick as we all know he is not talking about some rare recordable disc
    that 99.9% of people have never seen or heard of or that is not readily available to the mass market.

But I have yet to have seen or heard of one.

But then again, he did say
    Originally Posted by kayizm View Post
    I have a bluray movie that I downloaded
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Show me one, just one retail pressed or commercially available bluray that is larger than 50gb.....
    Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't.....

Or then again maybe people just want to nitpick as we all know he is not talking about some rare recordable disc
    that 99.9% of people have never seen or heard of or that is not readily available to the mass market.

But I have yet to have seen or heard of one.

But then again, he did say
    Originally Posted by kayizm View Post
    I have a bluray movie that I downloaded
    LOL!!!
    There are no commercial blu ray discs larger than 50GB since STB's tend to not support BDXL discs.
    I was referring to ripping a 3d BD to ISO or folder produces different sizes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The rarity of XL discs and their lack of support will continue to decrease, so that may change.
    3DBDs ripped 1:1 to an ISO is identical in size. It is when they are ripped to folders or to movie-only, or ripped & converted that they are different (read larger) sizes.

Scott
    Quote Quote